PDA

View Full Version : TD42 drain coolant from Block

Tip12345
18th February 2021, 08:19 AM
Hi all is there a drain on the block to get the coolant out ? have the head off and the water pump out but cant find where I might drain the rest of the coolant .
I want to change to a different type of coolant . thanks to all .

geoffayres
18th February 2021, 11:31 AM
Passenger side/rear of the block

It can be difficult to access in the car.
If it's a factory turbo, cracking the turbo coolant line banjo bolt and allowing it to drain is much easier.

Tip12345
18th February 2021, 11:42 AM
thanks mine is a factory Turbo I am not sure its a Water cooled one . I did not look or noticed when I pulled it down to replace thw head fuel pump Injectors etc . thanks for the heads up

geoffayres
18th February 2021, 07:26 PM
Some have reported they can access the drain plug with a few socket extensions from inside the wheel arch.

Doesn't work for me though. The exhaust partially blocks it.

mudski
18th February 2021, 09:01 PM

If it's a factory turbo, cracking the turbo coolant line banjo bolt and allowing it to drain is much easier.

Long time no speak mate. Good to see you still trawl the forums.
Cracking the turbo coolant line is what did as well and seemed to work well and is fairly simple to access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geoffayres
18th February 2021, 10:11 PM
Long time no speak mate. Good to see you still trawl the forums.....

Yes, it has been a while hasn't it?
I'm still snooping around. Don't post much though...

jff45
19th February 2021, 07:36 AM

That's a pic of part of my engine on the engine stand back in 2015 when I was getting it ready for conversion. The turbo oil return is sideways because the turbo is mounted 100mm further forward on a steampipe manifold.
Good to see the pics are still useful :)

geoffayres
19th February 2021, 09:21 AM
That's a pic of part of my engine on the engine stand back in 2015 when I was getting it ready for conversion. The turbo oil return is sideways because the turbo is mounted 100mm further forward on a steampipe manifold.

I wondered if you'd spot it....:smile:

There was another pic that was handy, but I went with yours 'cos it showed the turbo coolant line.

mudski
19th February 2021, 07:05 PM

Your input is always useful mate.

Tip12345
22nd February 2021, 08:13 AM
Thanks to all got the coolant out .
I will be glad to get it back together . next job put the new fuel pump on .
Its a big job to change the head, fuel pump, water pump , Radiator, etc etc