PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A RD28 GU Y61 Motor for a 1999 2.8 Patrol

BigRedY61
17th February 2021, 04:52 PM
Hey guys my engine got fried and the mechanic said i will need a new engine, I wanted to find out where I can find one in Australia. Most places I am finding want to exchange for a reconditioned one but because of my location shipping costs both ways would be pricey. So if anyone knows where I can find one that is ready to be put in the engine and go Id much appreciate.

thanks fellas.

mudnut
17th February 2021, 05:46 PM
What has happened to the block? Is it cracked, warped or is it the common overheating issue caused by the head?

BigRedY61
17th February 2021, 11:17 PM
common overheating issue caused by the head

mudnut
17th February 2021, 11:56 PM
Usually smoke on start up is oil leaking past worn valve guides and or valve seals. Would a reco head be a feasible option or are the rings and bores shot too? I have no idea where you could source another engine sorry.
BigRedY61
Do a compression test. If the reading is low, squirt a smidgen of oil onto the cylinder wall. (Not too much or you could hydrolock the piston).

Do another test. If the reading rises significantly, the rings are worn. If not the head gasket, cracked head or valves are the problem.

BigRedY61
18th February 2021, 09:44 AM
Thanks for that, I am meeting with the mechanic this weekend to see what my options are will give this a go.

mudnut
18th February 2021, 02:56 PM
Have you had a look on Gumtree or EBay for an engine or parts closer to you? Before you buy any RD28 Check these few things out.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?41430-RD28-Important-things-to-check