PDA

View Full Version : over heating during beach work

Barnesy82
12th February 2021, 06:37 PM
Hi All

I have a 2012 3.0l ST Wagon Auto. during beach driving even with tyre let right down it will over heat if going above 2000RPM. i have heard the cooling fan is set to switch off at 2000rpm due to general speed after 2000rpm gives sufficient airflow for cooling etc. what i would like to ask is do others have the same problem and what have you done to resolve it? i am thinking of fitting thermo fans to combat this. radiator is fine and and thermostat is fine, does not overheat anywhere else. and will not overheat on the beach unless i go over 2000rpm. look forward to your replies.

MudRunnerTD
12th February 2021, 07:07 PM
Hi mate, you will probably find changing down gears ans increasing the revs into the mid 2000s will likely see yoyr temps drop a little.

Barnesy82
12th February 2021, 08:07 PM
Hi mate, you will probably find changing down gears ans increasing the revs into the mid 2000s will likely see yoyr temps drop a little.

Hi mate unfortunately its an auto wish i had a manual

mudski
12th February 2021, 08:16 PM
Hi mate unfortunately its an auto wish i had a manual

You still can hold it in gear though. You'll have "D", "2" and "1". Try driving a TD42 in sand at full noise for 5 hours. You have one eye on the sand and one on the temp gauge constantly. Lol. But yeah hold it in a lower gear and keep the revs up a little higher.

Truckus
12th February 2021, 08:56 PM
Just curious...what pressure are you running and what size and type of tire are you using. I know when we go up to Belmont Wetlands, they mandate 12 Psi deflation, but we run at 16 psi (fatter rubber) and have no issues chugging along at 1200 rpm.

MudRunnerTD
12th February 2021, 09:09 PM
Just curious...what pressure are you running and what size and type of tire are you using. I know when we go up to Belmont Wetlands, they mandate 12 Psi deflation, but we run at 16 psi (fatter rubber) and have no issues chugging along at 1200 rpm.

Yeah I'm making No Boost at 1200. The sweet spot for thr TD is about 2300 in the sand

Barnesy82
13th February 2021, 01:24 AM
Running between 10 and 16psi depending on how soft it is,

Barnesy82
13th February 2021, 01:28 AM
And toyo open country. 275/65 17s, runs fine just trundling along but want to see what i can do to help it when having to work harder in the real soft stuff without having to stop every 500m to let it cool down

mudski
13th February 2021, 08:39 AM
And toyo open country. 275/65 17s, runs fine just trundling along but want to see what i can do to help it when having to work harder in the real soft stuff without having to stop every 500m to let it cool down

Are you just going by the factory gauge? If so what is it going up too? Also, as said, hold it in 2nd or 1st depending on the terrain, also use low range too to get the revs up a bit.

BillsGU
13th February 2021, 09:04 AM
I have done lots (and lots) of sand driving in my GU 3L with no problems. You have a cooling issue somewhere. Could be the fan coupling. Have you checked the ATF level? When was the last time the auto was serviced? As mentioned above - put the auto into a lower gear and keep the revs up.

the evil twin
13th February 2021, 03:45 PM
What Bill said x 2 ^^^^

My CRD was OK on sand in WA with summer temps of 35 plus and soft sand etc.
4 x low range and send it, below 2000 it won't even be making decent boost

The 3 litre Patrols have a huge Rad and I reckon either your Fan Clutch is shagged, the lower sections of the Rad are blocked with mud, bug guts etc or the Rad core needs to be rodded (flushes don't do shit).

I doubt changing to thermo fans will make much difference.

timbo2410
12th March 2021, 07:01 PM
are you kidding me .. there is a problem here ... we drive on super soft sand that is more quicksand .. 38 degree day .. 2013 patrol 3.0 .. tyres at 17 PSI (factory bridgestone duellers) and comfortably sit at 2100 rpm 3rd gear low range and go anywhere we want .. there has to be something out of the ordinary going on here!