PDA

View Full Version : When to drain oil??

10G
5th February 2021, 02:40 PM
I've thought it's best to drain your oil in the morning after your vehicle has been sitting all night and every last bit of oil that is going to end up in the sump should be there.

But there's also the train of thought that you should drain your oil when it's warmed up / hot so it all drains out as it's thinner at that time.

What do you guys think?

mudnut
5th February 2021, 02:53 PM
Depends on how much time you have. In the morning, all the oil that will drain away has done so just after the engine shut down. The length of time that the oil drains out cold is extended. If it is at operating temp, the oil will flow quicker, but there is still oil to be drained from the rest of the engine.

mudski
5th February 2021, 07:51 PM
Best when the oil is still warm as its at its thinnest so more will drain out. I usually would drain mine around half hour after the engine has been running and at running temp.

10G
6th February 2021, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys.

Brissieboy
6th February 2021, 10:11 AM
Old school theory was that it is best to drain while hot and immediately after a good run. That way all the crud is mixed up in the oil so drains away instead of settling on the floor of the sump just waiting for the new oil.
Not sure about about more draining out when hot because of the action of multigrade oils that thicken with temperature. Would have been true in the old days before multigrade.

10G
6th February 2021, 10:29 AM
That's something I hadn't considered, the draining of the crud, I'm sure you'd get more crud out when hot. Thanks Brissieboy.

pollenface
6th February 2021, 10:32 AM
Always change it hot.

jman69
6th February 2021, 12:22 PM
I always drain mine after it's been driven for a while, so it's nice and hot. Then i let it drain over night to get as much of it out as i can, refilling in the morning.

Caboosewa
6th February 2021, 05:10 PM
You might not want let it drain to long, could empty The oil pump and create extra wear on start up, the filter is what gets rid of any thing that’s not oil and the oil will always be black that’s just old school Diesel engines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
7th February 2021, 08:41 AM
Drain when hot 'cos I just love the extra challenge of getting into the difficult to reach filters when they are hot, & nothing better than getting hot oil splashed on me when cracking open the sump plug!

Nope

But I do drain it hot for all the reasons others have given.

mudski
8th February 2021, 01:36 PM
You might not want let it drain to long, could empty The oil pump and create extra wear on start up, the filter is what gets rid of any thing that’s not oil and the oil will always be black that’s just old school Diesel engines

On a TD42, the oil pump is above sump level. The one or two seconds the pump has no oil in it wouldn't be of any worry. There will always be some residual oil on the gears anyway....

growler2058
8th February 2021, 01:58 PM
Drain when hot 'cos I just love the extra challenge of getting into the difficult to reach filters when they are hot, & nothing better than getting hot oil splashed on me when cracking open the sump plug!

Nope

But I do drain it hot for all the reasons others have given.

Exactly! I remember changing the td42 in my old GQ. Dropped the plug when raging hot oil spilt on my hand and landed in the funnel, blocking it. Then while said raging hot oil was spilling all over my lawn, I shoved my hand back in the raging hot oil to get the pharkn plug out. Took a few years for the lawn to recover from that little mishap

10G
8th February 2021, 02:17 PM
You might not want let it drain to long, could empty The oil pump and create extra wear on start up, .....

But wouldn't that happen whenever you let the vehicle sit, like overnight for example?

Plasnart
8th February 2021, 07:40 PM
Exactly! I remember changing the td42 in my old GQ. Dropped the plug when raging hot oil spilt on my hand and landed in the funnel, blocking it. Then while said raging hot oil was spilling all over my lawn, I shoved my hand back in the raging hot oil to get the pharkn plug out. Took a few years for the lawn to recover from that little mishap

Haha I remember your original post on this incident! What a "Sorry Darl" you had to give! :D

Caboosewa
8th February 2021, 08:53 PM
On a TD42, the oil pump is above sump level. The one or two seconds the pump has no oil in it wouldn't be of any worry. There will always be some residual oil on the gears anyway....

It’s a different ball park but you have a 10 min window to change the oil in a Ford ranger or you risk drying out the pump and it has to be manually primed, expensive job to fix. I just don’t think letting the oil drain over night is a smart thing to do

mudski
8th February 2021, 09:05 PM
It’s a different ball park but you have a 10 min window to change the oil in a Ford ranger or you risk drying out the pump and it has to be manually primed, expensive job to fix. I just don’t think letting the oil drain over night is a smart thing to do

Patrols and Ranger are two totally different vehicles. Real and, well, they have their place in society somewhere. You won't be drying a pump out on a Patrol.

Caboosewa
8th February 2021, 09:06 PM
Patrols and Ranger are two totally different vehicles. Real and, well, they have their place in society somewhere. You won't be drying a pump out on a Patrol.

I did say that there different mate and if ppl wanna drain there oil for 24 hours go for it just don’t see the point

mudski
8th February 2021, 09:11 PM
I did say that there different mate and if ppl wanna drain there oil for 24 hours go for it just don’t see the point

I don't see the point as well. I leave it for 10 or so minutes after shut down, Let it drain for another 20 or so then refill. Each to their own.

growler2058
9th February 2021, 03:44 AM
Haha I remember your original post on this incident! What a "Sorry Darl" you had to give! :D

I get flashbacks every oil change still