PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fitted a Nissan Aluminium/plastic radiator to a GQ?

Bluedog77
21st January 2021, 10:21 PM
Just wondering if the new style fits as original was brass/copper? Also, any feedback on performance and durability?
Not sure which way to go at the moment.

Rossco
22nd January 2021, 06:33 AM
Hey mate, I have just fitted a plastic aluminum radiator to mine (think it's an adrad) and seems to perform well. I think would be more durable than a copper brass they tend to leak from the corners, my old brass one was new and started leaking after probably five years of use in the corner. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Winnie
22nd January 2021, 07:12 AM
Yes my copper/brass leaked in the corner after about the same amount of time, replaced with plastic/ally about 12 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MB
22nd January 2021, 07:58 PM
A third honest vote for New Nissan OEM placcy/aluminium highway tanks here BD77 Mate!
Have slowly hauled some serious max GCM weight together with the old faithful GQ TD42 to great success around the QLD/NSW/SA hotter border work regions.
FWIW: A 35 year old viscous fan coupling not locking to more than say 90% has been the only ever cooling issue found to full factory GQ all others specifications to date [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

balwayne
3rd February 2021, 05:43 PM
I just installed a Nissan plastic/aluminum one also. My decision was based on the recommendations of my friends and the reviews I saw online.

Bluedog77
3rd February 2021, 06:41 PM
Going to put a Nissan one in this weekend.

Bluedog77
13th February 2021, 06:09 PM
Had a go at putting the new radiator in today but there is a slight misalignment with the top bolt holes. Managed to get one in but other one is about 3-4mm out.
Anyone had the same issue? I don't want to force it too much. My only thought is to take a bit off the bottom rubber locators.

Rossco
13th February 2021, 06:55 PM
Hmm what a bugger, yeah never had a prob before. What radiator is it??

Winnie
13th February 2021, 06:56 PM
Are you sure the bottom rubbers are sitting right in their mounts?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Bluedog77
13th February 2021, 07:18 PM
Genuine Nissan for a TB42. Bottom rubbers in their holes. But needs to shift across 3 to 4 mm.

Bluedog77
27th February 2021, 05:06 PM
Finally managed to get the radiator to fit. Great to see the temperature gauge in the bottom third.

Gutsquisher Media
28th February 2021, 04:47 PM
Hey mate, I have just fitted a plastic aluminum radiator to mine (think it's an adrad) and seems to perform well. I think would be more durable than a copper brass they tend to leak from the corners, my old brass one was new and started leaking after probably five years of use in the corner. .

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but copper/Brass will always out last Aluminum. Copper/Brass does not suffer from stray voltage corrosion (Electrolysis) as well as Copper/Brass is more resilient to fatigue fractures.

For yours to have started to leaking at the corners is a sign of a breakdown of the solder, I have a Troll with original radiator has done near 600000Km no leaks has been out twice only for flushing. I may of been lucky but have seen a lot of old Trolls still with their original radiator.

mudnut
28th February 2021, 07:43 PM
On a GQ I think the top mounting rubbers are too small to take up all of the flex. I have thought about re-designing a set to fit mine after I get the radiator done.