PDA

View Full Version : Time for some new rubber

VK2FMIA
5th January 2021, 10:56 AM
Finally time to replace the tyres on my 2005 Wagon & need some input on what to run. Have been using Mickey Thompson STZ`s & have had a great run with them but they do not make them anymore. The fronts are well worn & the rears are still at around 70%, but staked a sidewall the other day, so up for new tyres all round.

Doing my head in researching what to put on next so hoping to get some advice from the forum guru`s.

Narrowed it down to 3 brands:

BFGOODRICH KM3

MAXXIS RAZR MT772

NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER

Have read plenty of reviews online but would like your opinion on Road Noise & Durability or any problems.

TIA.

growler2058
5th January 2021, 11:01 AM
I had the BFG's on my last GU. They started to get noisy as soon as I missed a tyre rotation (5). The noise all but disappeared as soon as I rotated them again. They performed well on and off road
In saying that I probably wouldn't buy them again as the MTZ's I had on my GQ and on EX wifes Prado lasted a hell of a lot longer

VK2FMIA
5th January 2021, 11:24 AM
I had the BFG's on my last GU. They started to get noisy as soon as I missed a tyre rotation (5). The noise all but disappeared as soon as I rotated them again. They performed well on and off road
In saying that I probably wouldn't buy them again as the MTZ's I had on my GQ and on EX wifes Prado lasted a hell of a lot longer

Cheers Growler,
Have considered the MTZ as well as the Mickey`s do seem to last(the STZ`s on the front have done over 80,000 km). Price of them is putting me off though, around $80 per tyre more.

growler2058
5th January 2021, 11:36 AM
Cheers Growler,
Have considered the MTZ as well as the Mickey`s do seem to last(the STZ`s on the front have done over 80,000 km). Price of them is putting me off though, around $80 per tyre more.

I know! The troll I just bought has BFG A/T KM2's. They maybe have a years driving left in them and I'm already dreading spending $$$$$$ on a new set.

PeeBee
5th January 2021, 12:35 PM
I have just swapped my BFG KM2's for Kumho MT71. The load rating and construction was the same on paper, and the price difference enormous - $480 V $310 each. The ride is difference, does not feel as 'soft' as the BFG, and the tyre has a more square profile than the BFG, almost like a BFG All terrain. Kumho probably have a similar tire in the AT?

Cuppa
5th January 2021, 12:35 PM
Toyos & Nittos seem to be getting good reviews of late. Toyos are cheaper than they were a few years back

So far I'm happy with the Toyo RT's (Toyo equivalent to the Nitto Hybrid 'Ridge Grappler - but with a slightly more open tread pattern in the middle) I fitted fairly recently but have only done road mileage on them so far. A bit noisier than my previous Bridgestone D697 AT's but a lot quieter than a full mud tyre. No difference in fuel consumption & should be better off road with the more aggressive tread & less sidewall bulge at lower pressures. Better balanced than both sets of Bridgestones I've had too - requiring far less weights.

VK2FMIA
5th January 2021, 04:17 PM
Thanks PeeBee & Cuppa for your suggestions. I'll look into them.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

Mickhead
5th January 2021, 04:20 PM
Had one set of KM2s. 50 ks. On my 3rd set of Nitto trail grapplers. 295 70 17s on the wrangler 60ks a set They are fkn heavy but good.
Still learning on the poo, have fed couragias and they are slippery on the bitumen in the wet! :) hey they were cheap!82756

MB
5th January 2021, 04:43 PM
Have been a BFGoodrich KM fan for many years after being severely disappointed by a few others back in the day.
Unfortunately Mr Good is trying to get too Rich for my likings these days.
Used to get 100k out of KM1’s on lighter FJ40/45/55 Landcrabs and maybe 60-70k out of KM2’s on GU Patrol utes/wagons.
KM3’s on our family GU wagon currently have by far been the best performing KM to date but they are disappearing so quickly it’s scary dollar wise.
Threw a set of Nitto Trail Grappler MT’s on my daily GQ about a year ago not expecting too much for the price but here’s a picture of them between 40-50k (odometer keeps intermittently stopping :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/47.jpg
Performance wise, Winnie & Family ran the entire West Coast of Wild Tasmania side by side on these same Nitto’s and didn’t appear to have any less traction than that of the KM2 & 3 wagons in convoy[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie
5th January 2021, 04:56 PM
Yeah as mentioned by MB I am a fan of the Nittos now. My last tyres were KM2s and I liked them to begin with but they wore quickly and I got a lot of punctures.
Did a sneaky mission a month or so ago with Rossco on his KM3s, we didn't find any mud but drove lots of wet rocks and we both only got stuck once at the same spot, pretty good comparison.
Done maybe 15-20k?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/48.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

VK2FMIA
5th January 2021, 06:24 PM
Had one set of KM2s. 50 ks. On my 3rd set of Nitto trail grapplers. 295 70 17s on the wrangler 60ks a set They are fkn heavy but good.
Still learning on the poo, have fed couragias and they are slippery on the bitumen in the wet! :) hey they were cheap!82756Must be happy with them if you are on your 3rd set.

Leaning towards the Nittos at this stage.

Cheers.

VK2FMIA
5th January 2021, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your input Winnie & @MB. Nitto's seem to be the go it seems.

MudRunnerTD
5th January 2021, 06:38 PM
Toyos & Nittos seem to be getting good reviews of late. Toyos are cheaper than they were a few years back

So far I'm happy with the Toyo RT's (Toyo equivalent to the Nitto Hybrid 'Ridge Grappler - but with a slightly more open tread pattern in the middle) I fitted fairly recently but have only done road mileage on them so far. A bit noisier than my previous Bridgestone D697 AT's but a lot quieter than a full mud tyre. No difference in fuel consumption & should be better off road with the more aggressive tread & less sidewall bulge at lower pressures. Better balanced than both sets of Bridgestones I've had too - requiring far less weights.

I reckon these look pretty good and the pic actually doesnt do them justice they look pretty impressive in the flesh for sure. If i was after a Touring Tyre these would get a serious look.

MB
5th January 2021, 06:40 PM
Only all our honest new observations VK Mate!
Please do consider Cuppa’s Toyo’s too, he’s done a Fair Dinkum heap of research for his serious travelling needs out there and if Mud Terrains weren’t needed, reckon I’d copy cat that Legend Too[emoji106][emoji106]

MB
5th January 2021, 06:42 PM
Well done Dazman you Hipster [emoji23]
Typing same time again likeminded Legend [emoji106][emoji106]

growler2058
5th January 2021, 06:50 PM
Have a look at falken wildtreks. Put em on my 03 hilux. Quietest 4wd tyre I’ve ever used. They’re an AT. I used them in the Flinders recently and they were fine on very slippery outback roads when we got caught in the rain. Also no nicks at all after driving on sharp rocks. Mate has em on his Paj has done 80k and only just looking to replace them now

MB
5th January 2021, 09:27 PM
A few cans in, Tyres Tires [emoji23]
Sadly have listened to Blokes too complain about great brands “Side Walls” in rocky shail shaving environments!
Choose a tyre for your honest needs folks and “STOP” shagging the poor buggers through extremely piss poor line of sight!
“First point of Alien Asteroid contact, it is a long walk home” [emoji23]

VK2FMIA
6th January 2021, 09:20 AM
Have a look at falken wildtreks. Put em on my 03 hilux. Quietest 4wd tyre I’ve ever used. They’re an AT. I used them in the Flinders recently and they were fine on very slippery outback roads when we got caught in the rain. Also no nicks at all after driving on sharp rocks. Mate has em on his Paj has done 80k and only just looking to replace them now

Thanks growler, will check them out.

VK2FMIA
6th January 2021, 09:32 AM
I have just swapped my BFG KM2's for Kumho MT71. The load rating and construction was the same on paper, and the price difference enormous - $480 V $310 each. The ride is difference, does not feel as 'soft' as the BFG, and the tyre has a more square profile than the BFG, almost like a BFG All terrain. Kumho probably have a similar tire in the AT?

Thanks for the suggestion PB.
Had a look at the MT71`s & the MT51`s. The 51`s look like a hybrid, not quite as aggressive as the 71`s but more than the AT`s. Could be a good compromise & the price for all Kumho`s is reasonable too.

VK2FMIA
6th January 2021, 09:40 AM

S

Thanks Cuppa. Sent off an online quote for the Toyo`s. Will see how they compare to the others.

PeeBee
6th January 2021, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestion PB.
Had a look at the MT71`s & the MT51`s. The 51`s look like a hybrid, not quite as aggressive as the 71`s but more than the AT`s. Could be a good compromise & the price for all Kumho`s is reasonable too.

I am looking at a second set of road tyres and will probably go the same ones that Cuppa has selected, simply like the tread pattern and square shoulder, but will have to check the load rating as well,

Cuppa
6th January 2021, 02:56 PM
will have to check the load rating as well,

Stropp
6th January 2021, 03:42 PM
The patrol I just bought has toyo open country mt tyres and he says they have done 70k and still have a good legal tread depth on them, he said the down side is they are heavy but have a nice thick sidewall and that was his second set, he suggested when I replace them to stick with them.

PeeBee
6th January 2021, 05:18 PM
Thanks Cuppa, they will do just nicely.

VK2FMIA
8th January 2021, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the feedback & suggestions.

Had a chat to the manager at the tyre shop yesterday & have decided to go with the Nitto Trail Grapplers & have booked the Troll in for today.

5 new 265/70/17`s going on for $345 each. While these are the cheapest in that size that was not the only deciding factor. Road noise, longevity & durability were also a consideration based on forum feedback & talking to the dealer.

A few prices I got for other tyres in the same size:

Cooper SST $480(not that I would buy Cooper ever again)
Mickey Thompson MTZ $459
Toyo Open Country RT $410
Falken Wildpeak MT $399
BF KM3 MT $396
Maxxis Rzzr MT $376

Only time will tell if I have made the right choice I suppose!

VK2FMIA
10th January 2021, 10:07 AM
Had the Nitto`s fitted on Friday. Pretty happy with them so far, only done a couple of hundred km`s on them. Road noise is not too bad, will be interesting to see how it is after some k`s on them. Fitment is good, about 10 mm clearance to the mud flap at full lock & happy with the way they look on the vehicle.

They do tend to "walk" around a bit at highway speeds but expected that from M/T`s. Done a few dirt K`s & they feel good & a lot better ride than the old set.

balwayne
17th February 2021, 02:03 PM
I just installed Fuel wheels and tires (https://4wheelonline.com/wheel-and-tire-packages.283376) on my Patrol. So far, I like them. They are reliable in the mud and dirt. Road noise isn't too bad also, although the tires are quite heavy.

jay see
19th June 2021, 01:02 AM
Evening gents.

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'll just add to this, hope that alright..

I'm up for new boots soon and I've been running a 305/70/16. My question is how much of a difference would it be to go to a 285/75/16. I know that it's one size smaller, but where would I really notice it. Not concerned if the Speedo is out a little.

There seems to be a bit of a difference in [emoji383][emoji383]and availability.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

nissannewby
19th June 2021, 04:36 AM
No difference Jay See. Tyre is only narrower. The diameter changes mathematically by 1mm.

You will probably find it a little nicer to drive on the road.

MB
19th June 2021, 09:26 PM
……..and safer, the similar yet wider 33” x 12.5” BFG KO2’s nuffy recently purchased unfortunately do require 100% on the ball concentration winter highway deep puddle drive dodging to avoid Aquaplaning, like some scary missed incoming beach tide 80kmph sidestep shit experienced of late [emoji51]

jay see
19th June 2021, 09:37 PM
I find a mod in Ferntree Gully that have km2 for $340 each 285/75/16. Would these tyres have being sitting around for a while or did BFG still produce these while making the km3?

MB
19th June 2021, 09:54 PM
Honestly not sure John Mate but IMHO too that is a good size/width for a GU [emoji106][emoji106]
Yes, from my experience on smaller Navara’s and the like their skinnier roady KO2’s did harden and become slippery over time but I put that down to lasting too long.
If I had to average out better known personal experience KM123 series tyres I’d best guesstimate that KM1’s = 100,000km / KM2’s = 80,000km’s / KM3’s = 50,000km’s [emoji51]
Walk around any decent tyre shop warehouse these days and you’ll feel that all brands rubber/styles is softer than days of old IMHO. Reckon it must be a new liability thingy where intelligent driving skills with wanted longevity is no longer regarded over lawsuits and litigious fucksticks [emoji23]

nissannewby
19th June 2021, 10:18 PM
I find a mod in Ferntree Gully that have km2 for $340 each 285/75/16. Would these tyres have being sitting around for a while or did BFG still produce these while making the km3?

Pretty much all the big name tyres will have a production date on them. Ask to see the tyres and you will soon know how old the tyre is. We usually receive stuff in Australia 2-6 months from the production date.

It will be marked for each quarter so something like Q121.

jay see
19th June 2021, 10:26 PM
Pretty much all the big name tyres will have a production date on them. Ask to see the tyres and you will soon know how old the tyre is. We usually receive stuff in Australia 2-6 months from the production date.

It will be marked for each quarter so something like Q121.Cheers, I'll give them a call on Monday

MB
19th June 2021, 10:37 PM
Any chance John Mate we can connect via PM here to speak via mobile (voice to voice) [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
Been chasing 35/12.5/15 KM2’s to no avail for 12 months, my 10 year olds (not daily’s) are starting to scratch up a little bit these days [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

nissannewby
19th June 2021, 10:38 PM
Cheers, I'll give them a call on Monday

https://www.tyrereview.com.au/tyre-advice/how-to-tell-exactly-when-a-tyre-was-manufactured

Plasnart
20th June 2021, 12:23 AM
Honestly not sure John Mate but IMHO too that is a good size/width for a GU [emoji106][emoji106]
Yes, from my experience on smaller Navara’s and the like their skinnier roady KO2’s did harden and become slippery over time but I put that down to lasting too long.
If I had to average out better known personal experience KM123 series tyres I’d best guesstimate that KM1’s = 100,000km / KM2’s = 80,000km’s / KM3’s = 50,000km’s [emoji51]
Walk around any decent tyre shop warehouse these days and you’ll feel that all brands rubber/styles is softer than days of old IMHO. Reckon it must be a new liability thingy where intelligent driving skills with wanted longevity is no longer regarded over lawsuits and litigious fucksticks [emoji23]

Or taking the lead from BFG not wanting AT manslaughter charges in countries with bitumen roads that experience occasional rain.

EDIT: :)

Mickhead
20th June 2021, 05:07 PM

Intelligent driving skills? Who needs them with pedestrian avoidance, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, hill descent control, hill start assistance, autonomous emergency braking, stability control, blind spot warning reverse park assistance and anal protection airbags?
Fuk.😂😂😂

jay see
23rd June 2021, 09:39 PM
I've made a few phone calls the last few days and km2 no one's got, km3 $400 per tyre (still looking for a cheaper price) and they keep referring me to the nittos trail grabbers at $299 + $25 fitting and balancing per tyre. Going for 5x 285/75/16 what are people's thoughts on the nitto's I know a few you guys are running them at the moment. Just can't remember who...

MB
23rd June 2021, 09:45 PM
Great tyre, great value, great modern wear [emoji106][emoji106]

Winnie
23rd June 2021, 09:46 PM
I've got them and so far they are the best tyre I've had. They are heavy as buggery but it drives better than ever on the road and offroad performance is great too.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

nissannewby
23rd June 2021, 09:54 PM
Have a look at the toyo mt and the new maxxis razr mt. Toyo is a tried and tested tyre, strong sidewalls, resilient to punctures and well wearing. The new maxxis is making a name for itself as a quiet all round performing tyre considering its a mud tyre.

Your biggest issue will be getting stock of anything decent.

MB
24th June 2021, 12:07 AM
Mat Mate as always is honestly on the top advice there John Mate!
Worth giving Fred & Stace a call at Fast Freddies just over your hills for those top suggested tyres in stock only a few weeks ago IIRC [emoji120][emoji120]
Fair dinkum not an affiliated spruik but out back they have a huge warehouse (fast moving stock) with their buying power servicing a ‘GoTo’ huge semi rural region, logging/transport/automobiles & a shipload of VHC fringe adventurers [emoji12][emoji41]
EDIT: Personally wouldn’t barter prices, might cause embarrassment to oneself, it’s a tight margin game as it is and I do respect quality up to date advice fitting/recording on system etc……

jay see
25th June 2021, 07:56 PM
Tyres got fitted up today.

5x 285/75/16 Nitto trail grapplers at $310 each.

Did around 70ks after getting them fitted and I'm surprised how quiet they are on the road..

Cheers for the advice gents.