PDA

View Full Version : anyone know what this plate is ?

1st January 2021, 06:37 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,

ok, im a total noob but can someone tell me what this rusty plate is?
i had a look around on google pics and it seems like a either winch holder or bash plate ? but then again...i have no idea
its very rusty and i want to replace it
And the black plastic cover behind it ?
it just seems flimsy, wont stop anything but water...

Thanks in advance
and happy newyear

MB
1st January 2021, 06:44 PM
G’day Newbie Mate!
Looks like some sort of air funneling setup to assist cooling or maybe a bow wave creating deep water crossing hull design?
Is that an old steel TJM bullbar? Suspecting the plates would be homemade but you never know what olden day brand add ons were available?
Edit: The plastic “flimsy” piece behind it all is your factory OEM highway needed IMO air pressure shoot thingy, sorry can’t remember their exact name [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st January 2021, 07:03 PM
Hi MB, thanks for that,
its a steel bullbar but no idea of the brand, there are no stickers / imprints of any branding
if its not a bash plate, im thinking of investing in one and of course there are are a million to pick from, any brands i should pick / stay away from ?
not sure about the deep water crossing thing as there is no snorkel.... so no deep water crossings for me :)

MB
1st January 2021, 07:15 PM
Super depends on your future needs Newbie Mate!
Personally not a fan of aftermarket available front end steering rod protection type bash plates that can fold on you hindering as much as broken bits. My mountain truck dollars were much better spent on thicker/stronger rods/bars all round....’Superior’ brand IIRC and they haven’t bent to date.
Have heard some Northern Sand driving Legend members complain too about steering protection bash plates becoming ploughs when reversing in deep soft stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizard52
2nd January 2021, 01:35 PM
The rusty bit came with bullbar and protects bottom of radiator. Looks same as mine which was a Nissan promo "free" bullbar, towbar and spotlights in June 2006.
It was the only bit of rust in my ute for over 10yrs

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2021, 06:18 PM
That rusty bash plate looks like it is still in great condition though. I would not be replacing that, that would be madness. Unbolt it, hit it with a wire brush and then hit it with a rattle can of Black form your local auto shop. then bolt her back where she is.. Nothing wrong with that bit if metal.

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2021, 06:21 PM
As others have said that will certainly help with creating a negative pressure in the engine bay and help achieve a Bow wave in a river crossing. It will also stop mud flinging up in a bog hole and hitting your fan and then covering everything. I made something like that in the early days in the GQ and it made a big difference. i have given it to someone on this forum but cant remember who.

Cuppa
3rd January 2021, 09:16 AM
Looks much the same as on mine. Standard Nissan issue I believe.

5th January 2021, 10:26 AM
Thanks so much for the info..