PDA

View Full Version : So I just brought a rusty safari.

Rustafari1986
25th December 2020, 07:32 PM
Hey guys
So I just brought myself a 1986 safari with a really good looking chassis runs and drives awesome apart from the leaking exhaust manifold gasket.
However it does has a big issue with body rust. The driver side bottom sill is no longer really there and there is a decent amount above the rear door on the drivers side above the passenger just below the gutter rail. Also a decent amount around the sunroof also on the driver side. Its all mainly on the one side and the other side only has small holes not large ones.
I'm 28 I'm from new zealand. operate a bulldozer for a living. Love offroading and doing water crossing and this is my chosen truck for it. Got it cheap for 2k witch I think is a steal. The body rust is a major but the rest of the truck is solid as.
My reason for joining this forum is to gain access to knowledge and skill from fellow patrol/safari owners to keep this beast alive and kicking.
So its a 1986 nissan safari long wheel base with a sd33t engine 5 speed gear box Pto winch and a super roof with a functioning but rusty sunroof.
As far as I have found out that translates to a mk patrol. Does anybody have a workshop manual that I could have a copy of?
I need to be able to take the roof lining out to get the sunroof out so does anybody know the trick to removing it without buggering it?
Also another issue with her is the dash is playing up big time. The speedo and rev counter both dont work and the water gauge either shows nothing or full heat, the fuel gauge sometimes goes sometimes doesn't, the oil pressure also maxes out if it decides to work. Another weird thing it does is when the headlights are on the indicator light on the dash flickers in the opposite direction than the indicators are.
Shes a good truck the kms are said to be really low if they are true and it did only recently loose the speedo its done 246k on the dash.

mudnut
25th December 2020, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I suggest starting other threads to ask the questions about the machine as some members don't read the intros. There is another member from NZ who is currently restoring his rusty GQ, so checking out his thread might give you some inspiration.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?48162-Old-patrol-roof-rust-repairs&highlight=roof+repairs

It looks like you will have to trace all the wiring back to the sensors. Also check that the earth wires for the gauge cluster and the earths to the body and chassis are tight and not corroded. It usually helps to run an earth from the engine bay and rear of the body to the chassis and to the engine block.

Dhuck
26th December 2020, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

growler2058
26th December 2020, 10:53 PM
G’day mate welcome aboard