PDA

View Full Version : How hard can it be?

timbo2410
24th December 2020, 09:29 PM
Been to 2 automotive electricians in the last 3 months to have 2 redarc gauges fitted .. boost/egt and oil pressure/water temp with optional external temp and light dimming system ... nobody wants to do it? Is there some problem that I am not aware of? Is it that hard? Am I missing something?
2013 GU y61 Patrol 3.0l

mudnut
24th December 2020, 09:32 PM
I have no idea how to help you, but it is such a relief you posted about lektricity. I thought you were going to talk about part of your body.

timbo2410
24th December 2020, 10:02 PM
hahaha you have cheered me up with that comment :-)

mudski
25th December 2020, 10:05 AM
It’s not hard at all. Instructions are provided. As long as you have somewhere to pick up the boost pressure your sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cremulator
25th December 2020, 10:57 AM
Fitting and hooking up the gauges isn't that hard, just time consuming.
I documented my install with photos and wiring diagrams here (EGT/boost/dual temp and dual battery voltage):
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=792967
I did a part two of the install a few posts after that one too.

If you give it a go and have any questions, I'd be happy to try to help out with info if you need it.

the evil twin
25th December 2020, 12:23 PM
Do you want them to do sensors as well or just install gauges and wire up?

Unless they are in a "multi-trade" workshop most auto sparkies won't be arrsed farting around with EGT probes etc.
Much easier money to be made

Might have more luck trying an Accessory Fitter tho they will probably balls up the dimmer.

timbo2410
25th December 2020, 06:17 PM
These are dedicated Auto electrics who both deal with redarc products .. they are both fully qualified and are not just the "installers" .. had enough of those clowns at the local Ironman dealership ... I already have a VDO EGT and boost .. but the boost has never worked properly even after buying 2 new gauges bcoz the 4x4 centre in Bunbury screwed them up .. the EGT works fine but I wanted matching gauges and a little more engine info .. hence the redarc gauges .. I would fit them myself (probably with help) but I buggered my arm up and just had surgery on the foot .. so not in any state to do much ..

timbo2410
25th December 2020, 06:34 PM
yes i wanted to do the sensors as well as the dimmer .. I also wanted the connection to the boost side checked as my VDO has never been accurate and that is from using 2 brand new gauges ... I can check boost via my OBD2 link via the ipad but I want to use the full ipad screen for navigation (have it split 50/50 navigation and engine parameters).

timbo2410
25th December 2020, 06:51 PM
great write up .. love the gauges .. what were they .. cant see from photo ..

Cremulator
26th December 2020, 01:55 PM
great write up .. love the gauges .. what were they .. cant see from photo ..Oh yeh, I hadn't listed the different models in my write up.
I fitted the Redarc G52-VVA and G52-BET gauges with GS-OWT1-4 and GS-UT-80 temperature sensors.

timbo2410
26th December 2020, 07:30 PM
very interesting in being able to switch between sensors .. never thought of that ..

Cremulator
26th December 2020, 10:09 PM
very interesting in being able to switch between sensors .. never thought of that ..That is honestly one of the things I use most when I'm driving. I usually leave it on coolant temp but constantly flick to ambient out of curiosity.

Cuppa
21st April 2021, 09:47 AM
boost/egt and oil pressure/water temp with optional external temp and light dimming system

That's what I have in our car, but without the external temp. (Prefer a less 'busy' gauge to glance at).
I often think that fitting these gauges was the best mod I've done. I fitted them myself & it wasn't too hard to do, but can understand that with a buggered arm & foot it would be.
Do make sure that when fitting the oil pressure sensor that you don't just replace the original. Use a T piece & keep both. Reason I say that is that we had the oil pressure warning buzzer go off when a long way from anywhere (Mornington Wilderness camp, 90km off the Gibb River Road). Immediate panic as you might imagine, but immensely reass uring to see that the OEM oil light was still off. Continued driving for a few kilometres until we found somewhere to pull up & park in the shade, expecting to find a wire had come off the Redarc sensor. Found the complete sensor had disintegrated. Was able to continue safely driving for around another 1500kms & several weeks until we reached Kununurra & bought a new Redarc sensor which as expected instantly restored full function. Point is with no 'back-up' oil pressure light, we'd probably have been looking at a *very* expensive recovery, & missed out on the opportunity to go down the Munja Track & up to Kalumburu.

The Redarc dimmer was needed as the DX we have has no factory dimming & the gauges too dazzling at night. It works ok, although for the best brightness at night I find the gauges too dim during the day if driving with lights on, but I just flick the lights off if I want to check the gauge.

mudski
21st April 2021, 01:31 PM
The Redarc dimmer was needed as the DX we have has no factory dimming & the gauges too dazzling at night. It works ok, although for the best brightness at night I find the gauges too dim during the day if driving with lights on, but I just flick the lights off if I want to check the gauge.

Just have the power feed for the gauge lights going direct to power so they are on the whole time or wire them into a switch so you can turn them on/off at your leisure. Just ordered a ambient temp sensor myself too...

Cuppa
21st April 2021, 02:21 PM
Just have the power feed for the gauge lights going direct to power so they are on the whole time or wire them into a switch so you can turn them on/off at your leisure. Just ordered a ambient temp sensor myself too...

Ta. They are on the whole time, but dim to a pre-set level (via the Redarc dimmer) when the lights are turned on. The only time it's an issue is when I want to look at the gauge in daylight with headlights on. Flicking off the headlights momentarily is more convenient that switching the gauges on & off. I could increase the brightness when dimmed, but they would then be too bright at night. The ambient temp sensor has never had any appeal to me. Adding it in to my oil & water temp gauge just struck me as unwanted 'noise' on the gauge. I know when it's hot, or bloody hot outside without a gauge to tell me. There is one in the Hilux we've been using for the past couple of months. I noticed it for the first time yesterday. It was a cooler than usual day & the readout saying 28 degrees just confirmed what I already knew.