PDA

View Full Version : What winch to buy

Stropp
21st December 2020, 06:16 PM
I’m after a decent winch but don’t want to pay a fortune so ideas please. Runva, dominator ?

Fireblade
21st December 2020, 06:19 PM
super cheap auto has a brand called ridge ryder, another option for you, i dont know what they are like though

Rossco
21st December 2020, 07:00 PM
I'd go Runva if you want something at a reasonable price and quality. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Winnie
21st December 2020, 07:01 PM
Yeah also look at Carbon winches. If I was up for a new winch it would be between the Carbon or the Runva I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

nissannewby
21st December 2020, 07:53 PM
I would also go runva. I have just purchased the 11000xp which is ip67 rated for our dmax. They come with everything you require. Including 2 stubby holders....

Ben-e-boy
21st December 2020, 07:59 PM
I would just get free highmount, just like AB did

MB
21st December 2020, 09:00 PM
Did notice the other week Patrolapart now stocking the Carbon Winches, don’t personally know anything about their quality but as a business they don’t usually stock junk. Not sure who stocks the Runva’s but owners heard appear extremely happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
21st December 2020, 10:56 PM
I know a couple of guys with the run a 12000lb 2 speed low mounts and they are happy with them, one of the first to offer total IP rated sealing from memory. I would have bought the run a hyd winch if I knew it was around, but went the mile marker ex USA. . Runva for the win I reckon.

mudnut
22nd December 2020, 12:28 AM
Whatever brand you get, double check the fine print to see if they cover water ingress in the warranty. I've heard some brands wash their hands of it if the winch has been submerged.
https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/winch-warrantys-who-to-support-and-when-to-walk-warn-runva-ironman-carbon-tmax-etc.25959/

MB
22nd December 2020, 07:55 PM
Whichever way you go Stropp, ensure the rope is decent quality/rated properly too!
Last week we popped up to our littlest work mates private forest coupe to check on gear after a long Victorian Covid lockdown.
The dominator winch we bought for a lightweight sapling custom loading trailer has turned from OHS orange to near white within say 6 months foolishly uncovered although under a decent shady canopy believed!
Poor man pays twice, yada yada [emoji23]

mudnut
22nd December 2020, 08:13 PM
The dyed rope has been proven a smidge weaker than undyed white. UV damage has probably rendered your mates rope useless.

paulyg
22nd December 2020, 08:17 PM
I just bought the Carbon winch, haven't used it yet, seems really well made though.
The winch comes with an extended breather, just like a diff breather, should help keep water out, and it is a lot lighter than most other winches, which is a bonus.

MB
22nd December 2020, 08:19 PM
Cheers Muddy Mate!
Not completely useless though, we could dominate next years halloween celebrations with tarantula webbing props [emoji23]