PDA

View Full Version : Me mates lookn at a TD

taslucas
25th November 2020, 09:11 PM
Hey, so a friend of mine sent me a link to a gu TD42 he is considering buying and asked my opinion. I told him Id take the question straight to the brains trust!

We're OK with the basics of used car buying but having an aftermarket intercooler and squeezing 25 pound I'm after some advice on the mods done and if there are any short cuts or bad set ups to look out for.

Here's the ad:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/launceston/cars-vans-utes/2000-td4-2ti-gu-nissan-patrol/1262169579

Cheers mad dogs!

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Winnie
25th November 2020, 09:17 PM
It looks like a pretty good buy. The cheap Chinese turbo without a real tune is the only concern but if it were me I'd probably leave the turbo and just get it tuned properly.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

taslucas
26th November 2020, 05:14 AM
Are there any weak spots to look for in a cheap turbo or are they basically the same as an expensive one but just prone to wear a bit quicker?

Winnie
26th November 2020, 06:53 AM
Are there any weak spots to look for in a cheap turbo or are they basically the same as an expensive one but just prone to wear a bit quicker?

Sent from my G8141 using TapatalkTo be honest I don't really know. There a thousands of guys out there running them and they are probably not that bad.

jff45
26th November 2020, 07:27 AM
I don't think the Kinugawa/Mamba turbos are really in the "cheap chinese" category. They're made in Taiwan and have earned a reasonable reputation for themselves.
I call the "cheap chinese" the ones on ebay for $300 odd..

mudski
26th November 2020, 07:36 AM
Its missing the radiator shroud and foam. Must of had the radiator out a few times and got lazy by not putting it back in, making quick removal of the radiator. Done this a gazzilion times myself. Looks like a good truck though. Got a lot of fruit on it.
If you go look at it, have a look at the radiator support panel, where the front body mounts bolt in. They are notorious for rusting out there, check out my build thread for where it is. From post #289 onwards
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?35807-Mudski-GU-Build-Thread/page8

Rear coil towers too. Look to see if they are torn or not. Hopefully not..

taslucas
26th November 2020, 01:07 PM
It looks like a pretty good buy. The cheap Chinese turbo without a real tune is the only concern but if it were me I'd probably leave the turbo and just get it tuned properly.

Sent from my SM-G986B using TapatalkWhat did you mean "without a real tune"? Just ask the seller if it's had a professional tune?

mudski
26th November 2020, 08:11 PM
What did you mean "without a real tune"? Just ask the seller if it's had a professional tune?

He's trying to say a real tune is paying for a tune on a dyno, where its done properly, measuring air/ fuel ratio's etc etc. Some just do a "screw driver" tune themselves, where they might see more power, but its not a proper tune.

taslucas
26th November 2020, 08:37 PM
The ad says tuned to 25 psi so I guess we just have to ask where or how it was tuned up. Not many good dyno tuners here so that's of concern

Winnie
26th November 2020, 08:50 PM
There are thousands of TDs out there running backyard tunes. I am sure some of them do a good job but some of them would have no idea.
I wouldn't consider it a big turn off for the car but I would factor in a few hundred dollars to get it tuned on a dyno by a professional.

MB
26th November 2020, 09:03 PM
G’day Lucas Mate!
Would the seller possibly be up for allowing a compression test?
Not a huge job but does require the glow plugs and sparky rail thingy to come off temporarily.
Possibly just let hom know that win loose or draw he gets the elecy contact surfaces cleaned regardless.
Would hate to see your mate drop anywhere between 6-12k for a replacement second hand to low km rare as Hens teeth donk these days, hence the sticker price [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigcol
26th November 2020, 09:37 PM
at that price - is it an original TD42? or a 3L thats had a engine upgrade?

I know WA prices are ridiculous, but thats cheap for a ridgy didge TD42, but expencive for a re-engined ZD......

and if it is a ridgy didge, why is it sooooo cheap?

just my thoughts

taslucas
27th November 2020, 04:48 AM

I know WA prices are ridiculous, but thats cheap for a ridgy didge TD42, but expencive for a re-engined ZD......

just my thoughtsI would assume it's a td. We aren't crazy here [emoji23]. But yes, it's worth asking the question

Maxhead
27th November 2020, 05:38 AM

just my thoughts

Well it does state, 304k on the car and 240k on the motor so one can only assume it’s a granaded 3l conversion.

Anyway, still if original TD I think that’s a fair price not really soooo cheap.
It’s 20 year old car after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taslucas
27th November 2020, 06:02 AM
Ah! I didn't spot the kilometre difference

Bidja
27th November 2020, 07:19 AM
Wonder if Nissan can provide info on original engine build using VIN?

Seller may provide VIN..

Saw this, in TAS but could be safer buy as appears not have been mucked around with.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/invermay/cars-vans-utes/nissan-patrol-gu-td-4-2-dx/1261765999

taslucas
29th November 2020, 11:58 AM
Update:
He took too long to decide and the vehicle sold.

2nd update:

Another guy I know ended up with it [emoji23]

Rossco
29th November 2020, 12:18 PM
U snooze, U loose lol. . . Sure it will be a good jigger, and hope mate #1 comes across another good one. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk