PDA

View Full Version : Tyre repair kits

timbo2410
22nd November 2020, 01:48 PM
What are people using for their tyre repair kits these days? Thoughts and experiences most welcome

threedogs
22nd November 2020, 02:01 PM
I have one of those DIY kits.
Only had one flat and that was
last year. I picked up a small screwdriver bit in the tread area.
After some reaming I inserted that wick with the adhesive.
pumped it up and worked a treat.
now I have new BFG ats and im not expecting ang flats soon lol

timbo2410
22nd November 2020, 02:08 PM
brand .. ?
I've looked at all sorts on fleabay and amazon .. trying to head towards the black rubber type wick with vulcanizing rubber cement

PeeBee
22nd November 2020, 02:11 PM
I have not used the dog turd style kits in the past, although I carry a set, believe they are quick and effective.. If i have punctured a tyre its typically beyond the repair limits of these rope, so I use a glue on patch inside the carcase of the tyre to seal the metal bands from coming thru and then whack a tube in it. for tube repairs i like the heat vulcaniser type with the clamp and burning pad, however have had the same success with the glue on patches.

timbo2410
22nd November 2020, 02:15 PM
im only looking at emergency repairs .. wont be pulling tyres off rims or anything .. but I'm looking for a set that wont fail like so many have had with all different brands from fleabay and ARB

Avo
22nd November 2020, 02:51 PM
I have a ridge ryder tyre repair kit,have used it more than once,great kit all the handles are made from steal and feels solid

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

timbo2410
22nd November 2020, 02:52 PM
I think I saw that advertised .. I will scope it out .. thanks for the heads up :-)

pearcey
22nd November 2020, 03:35 PM
G`day Timbo
I do a lot of station driving where punctures are common, and have had the odd flat.
I carry two types of repair kits , the ones your looking at.
One is from ARB and is a product that can break and cause you a little injury. The problem is the plastic "T" handle will break and youll end up with the steel pin through your hand. with a flat it takes quite a bit of pressure to ream out the puncture and put a plug in. As you will see I`ve welded a steel T handle on one o the offending tools. The other set is Sealastic brand ,made in Germany. I`ve had this kit for around 30 years and boy it`s been a top tool. The cord plugs are what ever is avalible and so is the rubber sealant, if I`m out of sealant i just bung the plug in and never had a problem. Yes you can put two or three plugs in a silgle hoe and with luck it will get you out of trouble. I also carry a range of patches which are self adhesive and a roughing up file and patch roller. These also will and have gotten me out of trouble. To get the tyre off the rim I can recommend Tyre Plyers a great product and easy to use. A couple of tyre leavers wont go astray, if you carry a large, I mean a flat blade screwdriver of over 18 inches long , one tyre leaver is enough.

Hope this helps

Having trouble up loading photos

04OFF
22nd November 2020, 03:36 PM
I have a ridge ryder tyre repair kit,have used it more than once,great kit all the handles are made from steal and feels solid

Same here, bit bulky to store, but works great, try and store it flat as the lube will run left in a hot car for 12 months (as i found out), or tape around the lube container lid.

pearcey
22nd November 2020, 03:47 PM
Hope this works

timbo2410
22nd November 2020, 04:22 PM
The problem I have is that a lot of the old tyre repair kits are now not available ..

Avo
22nd November 2020, 09:58 PM
The problem I have is that a lot of the old tyre repair kits are now not available ..Check out super cheap autos,I just googled it and they come up https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/ridge-ryder-ridge-ryder-tyre-repair-kit-43-piece/284631.html
Cheers