PDA

View Full Version : Washers

timbo2410
20th November 2020, 12:03 PM
Hi all, odd question so thought I would post here :-)
OK ... I have a pair of old fishing reels .. Mitchell 499's .. they are in pristine condition as I cared for them since I was 15 .. I have all the spares in the world and both reels are fully functional in every way apart from .... a small teflon washer that sits behind the line roller. It is 9mm OD with a 4.5mm ID and is as thick as a sheet of paper (no way to measure it) ... does anybody know who sells teflon washers as I have exhausted all the washer/plastic suppliers that are in the phone book. The washer needs to fit perfectly as it seats into a housing (OD) and also fits a shaft (ID) ... any hints tips or ideas are most welcome :-)

the evil twin
20th November 2020, 03:02 PM
Only spares I know of for older Mitchells come out of France
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Washers-Teflon-498-499-Other-Reels-Mitchell-Line-Guide-Shim-Part-83492/293804359577?hash=item44681abf99:g:YSEAAOSw2gxYuZS B&frcectupt=true

You could also try NZ as the Kiwis into land based fishing over there were mad keen on those reels back in the day.
Because there is no recip motion they used to make oversize line holders (bobbins) up on a lathe that would hold 2 or 3 times (sometimes more) the line capacity.

My Brother in law must of had about 6 or 8 of 'em and one looked like it had a the rim off a Mini Moke on the shaft, held about 5 or 600 metres of 50 Lb test or something stupid like that.

timbo2410
20th November 2020, 03:33 PM
I have got new spares from France .. but they are not the original size or thickness unfortunately .. im trying to see if i can find teflon sheet and try and punch holes myself .. so darn small though :-)

Tip12345
20th November 2020, 03:49 PM
where are you ? I might be able to help I am in Canberra . I have the material I think .

timbo2410
20th November 2020, 03:51 PM
SW West Australia ... hang on and I will see if i can upload a photo

timbo2410
20th November 2020, 03:53 PM

timbo2410
20th November 2020, 03:55 PM
whoa .. they were big ... now I need the OD to be about 1mm larger .. ID the same ... check out the thickness though .. can almost see the numbers through it .. I need it to be slightly thicker .. sorry about the terminology .. I dont have anything to measure the thickness ... about the thickness of good quality paper but no thicker

threedogs
22nd November 2020, 11:58 AM
Have a look on eBay Im sure Ive seen
those while looking for something else

After a quick look on ebay I found heaps from Speed flow,, there are hundreds of sizes

timbo2410
22nd November 2020, 02:02 PM
cheers mate will look them up now :-)

Cremulator
23rd November 2020, 01:24 PM
I bought some replacement parts to service my coffee machine and those parts included some Teflon washers.
You could see if any are similar dimensions?
I ordered from coffeeparts.com.au but there are several other sites.

MB
25th November 2020, 12:56 AM
Timbo Mate, another hopeful washer possibility could be 3D printing, our work techies have utilised online rich kids to knock up rushed basic prototypes before, don’t know too much about it and or if ‘Teflon’ can even be printed though?
FWIW:
Was sent to bed/tent by Mum nearing midnight at Carpenters Rocks early 1980’s.
Awoke to find Dad and his Mates near in tears as the sun was rising.
A 6hr battle with South Australia’s biggest and bad arsed ‘Mulloway’ and his ‘Monster Mitchell’ reel never failed [emoji106][emoji106]
It was the three (3) pissed ‘off’ gentlemen that couldn’t carry it ashore in the waves that last few metres [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbo2410
27th November 2020, 04:43 PM
haha .. oh how i wish :-)
well visited a local plastic supply shop who actually found a tiny torn off corner of a sheet of teflon that is perfect .. managed to punch 4 washers out of it .. so now my Mitchells are now fully functional with new bearings all round and super smooth line roller :-)