PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 TdiC 95kw problem in low revs

ante_sd
8th November 2020, 12:15 AM
After making a general on the engine nisan patrol 2.8 tdi (first special, new pistons, new head, new turbocharger and all possible grinding) I have a problem when I go uphill that the car barely starts at low revs. It only starts well when I give it gas to open the turbocharger. In addition, the bosch pump was in service. Can someone help me with what else might be a problem or is it generally a car lazy at low revs, but again I don’t believe it can pull itself uphill. Note I talk when the car is in 2H, and when it is in 4L then it goes but the sieve I think is still weak.
And I just forgot to say that it's not just about the start, but when it starts, it's the same slow spin and especially in 2. gear

PeeBee
8th November 2020, 03:46 PM
The 2.8 develops low torque at low rpm, you need to get it up over the 3000rpm to get any performance out of it. I had the 2.8TD in a 1997 GQ and ended up doing an engine transplant as the motor was a good tourer at speed, but not so good in the bush. i also installed a transfer case reduction gearset and that transformed the car off road in low range.

mudski
9th November 2020, 07:05 AM
How many miles have you put on the motor since the build?

PeeBee
9th November 2020, 08:14 AM
Mine went 'well' until I put the family in it for the first time, then I noticed it needed to rev to get moving. From then on, as more junk got added it got slower. Not a fault of the engine, just a characteristic of a small motor in a big vehicle.

mudski
9th November 2020, 09:22 AM
Mine went 'well' until I put the family in it for the first time, then I noticed it needed to rev to get moving. From then on, as more junk got added it got slower. Not a fault of the engine, just a characteristic of a small motor in a big vehicle.

I honestly don't think its just the characteristics of the engine. I drove a 2.8 GU a few years back before buying the Patrol I have and yeah it was slow, but it had no issues taking up a hill like the op is saying. Has to be an issue elsewhere I reckon.

PeeBee
9th November 2020, 09:41 AM
Low range first gear to get up a hill at 5 ways at Wyndum on the bitumen, nope it was a gutless engine at low speed. From new it needed to be driven like a petrol motor, high revs. Drop below 3k and the turbo was off boost and it was 'slow ville' again. Had about 10,000k on the clock at that time