PDA

View Full Version : 2.8diesel missing at cold start

saz64
13th July 2011, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone! I've got a problem with my engine missing and blowing grey smoke at first start-up.I've put in new glow plugs,new injectors,checked glow relay and glow timing.But once at normal temp runs good. Any ideas Guys.Engine has done 280000,timing belt was changed at 150000.

High_Mod_Performance
13th July 2011, 10:55 AM
my mate had a similar prob with his GU 2.8 eti and it ended up being a cracked head, water getting into the cylinders causing the miss, over time it started to overheat real badly, might be worth getting the head checked

patch697
13th July 2011, 11:00 AM
my mate had a similar prob with his GU 2.8 eti and it ended up being a cracked head, water getting into the cylinders causing the miss, over time it started to overheat real badly, might be worth getting the head checked

Good point mate.

Most radiator repairers can do this using a chemical head tester it costs around $40 & can be done on the spot.... Worth a look.

YNOT
13th July 2011, 01:01 PM
It's a long shot but try priming the lift pump before you start the engine in the morning. If the pump is easy to pump at first then gets firmer and the car is easier to start then you have air leaking into the fuel system.

Tony

saz64
13th July 2011, 03:48 PM
It's a long shot but try priming the lift pump before you start the engine in the morning. If the pump is easy to pump at first then gets firmer and the car is easier to start then you have air leaking into the fuel system.

Tony Thanks Tony what i've done is put an electronic fuel pump between filter and lift pump with a clear hose and all's fine there.I do know that sometimes that manual primer button can be the cause of air leaks but after a few pumps no change.Serg

saz64
13th July 2011, 03:54 PM

Thanks mate that will be my next way to go.But i'm not losing any water or air bubbles in the radiator.Serg

High_Mod_Performance
13th July 2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks mate that will be my next way to go.But i'm not losing any water or air bubbles in the radiator.Serg

my mates didnt loose and water or any air bubbles in the cooling system in the early stage, wasnt until later that it lost water and started overheating aswell as getting alot harder to start. Jamie

chester
13th July 2011, 09:24 PM
my mate had a similar prob with his GU 2.8 eti and it ended up being a cracked head, water getting into the cylinders causing the miss, over time it started to overheat real badly, might be worth getting the head checkedHe's spot on the money, my dad's 80 series was doing the same thing the head had heaps of hairline cracks through it.