PDA

View Full Version : Prop shafts nuts and bolts 2012 Patrol Y61

pete57
15th October 2020, 07:01 AM
In re. to my post about the slip joint locations, it is now time to reinstall the shafts. I am looking at replacing the existing nuts and bolts. Can anyone recommend where to get them? Nissan is of course the obvious choice, but usually the most expensive. Boltmasters were no help whatsoever.

mudski
15th October 2020, 07:11 AM
The nuts are flanged, but any nut and bolt shop will have them, theres nothing special about the thread. How come Boltmasters were no help? Did you take a sample in to them?

Tip12345
15th October 2020, 07:47 AM
the bolts are stepped a/ think they are a special .
If you get stuck I will go out and take one out and have a measure .

mudski
15th October 2020, 08:12 AM
the bolts are stepped a/ think they are a special .
If you get stuck I will go out and take one out and have a measure .

Mine aren't. On both tails shafts...

Tip12345
15th October 2020, 12:38 PM
weel just had a crawl under my patrol and have the bolt in my hand … 12mm fine thread flanged head and nut 17mm across the flat
bolt fixes 37mm underside head to end of thread and.... shank 12.5mmdia 17mm long ..
So there is no bolt head markings ! cant get to the hardness tester its busy here .. but don't think a standard bolt will work well .

mudski
15th October 2020, 01:22 PM
weel just had a crawl under my patrol and have the bolt in my hand … 12mm fine thread flanged head and nut 17mm across the flat
bolt fixes 37mm underside head to end of thread and.... shank 12.5mmdia 17mm long ..
So there is no bolt head markings ! cant get to the hardness tester its busy here .. but don't think a standard bolt will work well .

Yeah just check a pic of the genuine bolt from the parts catalogue. yep tiny step in it. Hence me not remembering. I wouldn't bother with new bolts personally unless they are rooted. Bit of loctite on the threads and away you go.

Tip12345
15th October 2020, 01:26 PM
good I will crawl back under and replace the bolt ! before I go home

mudski
15th October 2020, 01:52 PM
good I will crawl back under and replace the bolt ! before I go home

Haha! Yeah don't forget to put that back in.

pete57
15th October 2020, 06:42 PM
The nuts are flanged, but any nut and bolt shop will have them, theres nothing special about the thread. How come Boltmasters were no help? Did you take a sample in to them?

Yes, took in a sample, but they don't stock grade 8 M12 with flange and shank. The bolts look ok, but the nuts are shot. Does anyone know a good online supplier?

pete57
15th October 2020, 06:44 PM

Thanks for your trouble. I did find the specifications on the net and it is grade 8.

mudski
15th October 2020, 06:54 PM
Yes, took in a sample, but they don't stock grade 8 M12 with flange and shank. The bolts look ok, but the nuts are shot. Does anyone know a good online supplier?

You could use any nut with the same thread and some loctite. Even flared nuts shouldn’t be an issue. Once it’s up tight it won’t go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
15th October 2020, 06:55 PM
Possibly your nearest wrecking yard could help out temporarily Pete Mate?
Online ordering is horrific at the moment Nationwide experienced lately, standard post have found up to 4 weeks by myself and many others too.
Strangely enough some Blokes have mentioned Overseas orders incoming to their doors with no delays somehow?
Maybe ‘PartsSQ’ or whatever it was Legends here mention from the Arabic sea IIRC might find their way here within a week hopefully?

mudski
16th October 2020, 08:31 AM
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332936795981
Haha! It’s from my shop I sold too. I think I have a few of these spare too from memory

Tip12345
16th October 2020, 08:50 AM
ouch that is expensive !!!! and there is 16 of them

mudski
16th October 2020, 06:48 PM
ouch that is expensive !!!! and there is 16 of them

Haha yeah they cost like a buck each from memory