PDA

View Full Version : 2001 gu 4.5 petrol engine cutting out doing right hand turns !!

Aussieco
12th July 2011, 10:02 AM
Yes this is a weird one. It started cutting out on a big right turn after about 15 mins of driving. I figure the problem will only get worse and it will get easier to diagnose.
No. Symptoms seem to be getting weirder as in not logical.
Had an auto Elec check it out but could not find anything.
1 mechanic who did a service checked for error codes etc and also checked fuel pressure all checked ok.
Went to Nissan thinking that they would have come across this before but no idea except to suggest the fuel sender could be faulty ?! What tha ?
I know how much fuel it goes through and the tank capacity and the sub and nothing seemed out of place to me but let them check it anyway but all ok .
Then they suggest fuel pump for $500 .
I said not yet we'll persist and try and get a definate diag before spending lots.
Anyway now it does it in a straight line when uner 3/4 of a tank of fuel when going through gears and it revs to 3000 and dies down to 2000 and then repeats.
Any ideas ? I want to change the fuel filter but have no idea where it is .

patch697
12th July 2011, 10:32 AM
I know its been checked by Nissan (yeah right)(sorry little faith in what Nissan say they do or don't do) it sounds to me like a cracked or fractured fuel pickup on the tank at a guess mate

YNOT
12th July 2011, 10:48 AM
You're right, this is a weird one!
When it cuts out does it cut out fully like you have switched off the ignition or does it splutter? A full cut out is more often caused by an electrical fault but if it splutters then it is more likely to be a fuel related fault.

Don't fully dismiss Nissan's suggestion that it may be a fuel sender issue. If you have a crack in the fuel pick up pipe (part of the sender unit in the tank) that could be letting air into the fuel line when you go around sharp turns and the fuel in the tank moves to one side exposing the crack. This would also be consistant with the fault not occuring when the tank is full.
You are right in your thinking to diagnose further before parting with $500 for them guessing the diagnosis.

I've never owned a 4.5 GU but I think the fuel filter is behind the battery on the drivers side, will be a silver or goldy looking cannister.

Tony

Yendor
12th July 2011, 10:51 AM
I would connect a fuel pressure gauge and go for a drive.

If you lose fuel pressure when problem occurs you will know you are on the right track.

I think patch697 is spot on or it could be something floating around inside the tank getting caught on the pick up.

patch697
12th July 2011, 10:56 AM
I would connect a fuel pressure gauge and go for a drive.

If you lose fuel pressure when problem occurs you will know you are on the right track.

I think patch697 is spot on or it could be something floating around inside the tank getting caught on the pick up.

Top idea Rod, the fuel pressure gauge would tell all on a fuel front...... Cheers

Aussieco, I know you said your mechanic checked your fuel pressure but (as Yendor said) this test would be better performed under driving conditions when the problem was to occur for a more accurate diagnosis & or elimination either way.

04OFF
12th July 2011, 11:52 AM
Agree with previous posts, just thought id add, that your fuel filter should be on the chassis under the car on the drivers side, near the sub tank, and about in-line with the back of the drivers seat.

It is partially enclosed/surrounded in a metal shield.

Sir Roofy
12th July 2011, 02:18 PM
Agree with previous posts, just thought id add, that your fuel filter should be on the chassis under the car on the drivers side, near the sub tank, and about in-line with the back of the drivers seat.

It is partially enclosed/surrounded in a metal shield.

thats where it is bugger of a thing to get at unless your on a hoist

patch697
12th July 2011, 02:21 PM
thats where it is bugger of a thing to get at unless your on a hoist

Nah roofy.... You just need more life mate...lol

Sir Roofy
12th July 2011, 02:34 PM
Nah roofy.... You just need more life mate...lol

but patch mate it hurts getting out from under there
the old bod dont like getting down that low any more

patch697
12th July 2011, 02:39 PM
but patch mate it hurts getting out from under there
the old bod dont like getting down that low any more

Awe... Me poor old mate.... Maybe you should think about moving up here???.... That way Jane & take care of you & I can take care of your Patrol.... (& I'd have another 4x4ing mate & with a Patrol too....WooHoo)...lol

Aussieco
13th July 2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys for all the great feedback.

I will be changing the fuel filter on the weekend and let you know of the progress.

It cuts out like turning off the ignition and throttle is about 3/4 and accelerating to 3000rpm.If I hold the throttle at this position the engine dies till it gets to around 2000 rpm and then accelerates again. If I keep holding the throttle at the same spot it all repeats this cycle for how ever many miles you want to go for . If I hit the sub tank button and top up the main it doesn't do it anymore. I guess it must be starving of fuel at this throttle position. If I hold the throttle at 1/4 to half it will slowly rev past 3000 but opening the throttle it dies. Hope that helps some more .

patch697
13th July 2011, 10:08 AM
First things first change your fuel filter for sure. then if your problem is still there, have the fuel pressure checked when under those driving conditions where its having the problem. If your fuel pressure comes back ok then have you TPS (Throttle position switch) & AFM (air flow meter) checked... I suspect they will be fine cos they would have shown up as a fault code if either are failing but it doesn't hurt to check these again as they also play a part in fuel regulation.

But for all accounts im tipping given the symptoms your describing here, my first recommendation (on page 1) is going to be the likely candidate.

Cheers
Paul

XT3VCruiser
3rd March 2013, 06:44 PM
Did you ever find out what caused the Patrol to cut out going around corners?