PDA

View Full Version : Viscous fan removal

dpetersen
8th October 2020, 12:23 PM
Had a search but can’t find what I’m looking for.

I want to pull the fan out on my 4.2tdi and re oil it as she gets a bit hot.
Went for a drive today and it’s still pretty easy to turn the fan by hand even after a good run.

Just trying to work out how to pull the hub out. Do I need to remove the radiator to get the hub/fan out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
8th October 2020, 02:11 PM
No, you need to take the fan off first though will make it easier. small ratchet spanner from the water pump side will get this done, then it will be easy to work out.

dpetersen
8th October 2020, 02:29 PM
So these four bolts here that iv got the screw driver pointing to? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/10/42.jpg

MudRunnerTD
8th October 2020, 03:15 PM
Yeah that will actually take the whole assembly off. If you can get a spanner on them then go your hardest.

Take the top 2 off then hit your Ignition to turn your engine over half a cycle, Just tap your starter motor via ignition once or twice and it will slightly spin the engine., this will present the bottom 2 at the top.

MudRunnerTD
8th October 2020, 03:21 PM
here is an image i grabbed off ebay.

See the 4 holes in the fan are around the outside front of the Viscous assembly. if you can get your hand in and crack those you will make some space. If not then take out the 4 bolts out of the front of the water pump you are pointing at. This image shows you what it all looks like though.

MudRunnerTD
8th October 2020, 03:24 PM
Putting it back on without the fan is a Bucket load easier too.

dpetersen
8th October 2020, 07:18 PM
Ledgend, thanks mud runner

Seluntiy
24th October 2020, 12:10 AM
I repaired the viskomufta, changed the oil in it (polymethylsiloxane 10000)

Seluntiy
24th October 2020, 12:26 AM
removed, disassembled

mudski
27th October 2020, 08:01 AM
Putting it back on without the fan is a Bucket load easier too.

I found removing the radiator made the r & r so much easier. I had only done it maybe 10 times in the last three years so I got it down pat and found this the fastest way. Might be a different case for models with the tall and narrow radiator however.

reeves.milner
15th January 2023, 08:31 AM
Cheers fellas good info