PDA

View Full Version : Cluck Noise

wiseacts
10th July 2011, 08:31 PM
Hello Guys, I am hearing an annoying noise when changing gears specially from 1 & 2 but as well exists on 4 & 5. mine is 2005 GU with an ZD30 ddti Turbo engine.

This cluck noise sounds like it is appearing from where the main shaft connects to the differential at the back or whatever " excuse my English " if am not able to explain better and i only hear it when removing my leg from the clutch pedal, though if i remove it slowly i don't hear this noise. Not so good at mechanics, but the only thing i managed to do is putting grease on all nipples which helped to suppress some of the noise but yet it still exists.

Any help on where i should look is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Wail.

Sir Roofy
10th July 2011, 08:37 PM
hello guys, i am hearing an annoying noise when changing gears specially from 1 & 2 but as well exists on 4 & 5. Mine is 2005 gu with an zd30 ddti turbo engine.

This cluck noise sounds like it is appearing from where the main shaft connects to the differential at the back or whatever " excuse my english " if am not able to explain better and i only hear it when removing my leg from the clutch pedal, though if i remove it slowly i don't hear this noise. Not so good at mechanics, but the only thing i managed to do is putting grease on all nipples which helped to suppress some of the noise but yet it still exists.

Thanks,
wail.
sounds a bit like a rear universal joint about to let go

timbar
10th July 2011, 08:51 PM
Hello Guys, I am hearing an annoying noise when changing gears specially from 1 & 2 but as well exists on 4 & 5. mine is 2005 GU with an ZD30 ddti Turbo engine.

This cluck noise sounds like it is appearing from where the main shaft connects to the differential at the back or whatever " excuse my English " if am not able to explain better and i only hear it when removing my leg from the clutch pedal, though if i remove it slowly i don't hear this noise. Not so good at mechanics, but the only thing i managed to do is putting grease on all nipples which helped to suppress some of the noise but yet it still exists.

Thanks,
Wail.

i would say Universal joint as well !!

growler2058
10th July 2011, 09:21 PM
sounds a bit like a rear universal joint about to let go

Agree with these other guys mate time to change the universal joints and I would replace both while ur at it

wiseacts
10th July 2011, 09:29 PM
Thank you guys...

I will definitely now look into changing both front and rear. I will let you know the results. Cheers!!

Finly Owner
10th July 2011, 09:57 PM
My advice is to slide under vehicle with it turned off and cold engine, grab the tailshaft with both hands close to the uni joint, and try to turn it sharply, then try to wriggle it. Is there any movement or sounds in the joint. Repeat at other uni.

If you had no noise or movement, try to rock tail shaft clock wise and anti clock wise and with vehicle out of gear and wheels chocked all round to stop vehicle from rolling. Now release hand brake while sitting inside(to be ready to pullit back on again if you forgot chocks). If you can move it freely 1/2 approx half a turn each way before feeling load on diff, this is "diff slap".

Now what is the recommended solution if he finds this?

Tim

YNOT
10th July 2011, 10:12 PM
My advice is to slide under vehicle with it turned off and cold engine, grab the tailshaft with both hands close to the uni joint, and try to turn it sharply, then try to wriggle it. Is there any movement or sounds in the joint. Repeat at other uni.

If you had no noise or movement, try to rock tail shaft clock wise and anti clock wise and with vehicle out of gear and wheels chocked all round to stop vehicle from rolling. Now release hand brake while sitting inside(to be ready to pullit back on again if you forgot chocks). If you can move it freely 1/2 approx half a turn each way before feeling load on diff, this is "diff slap".

Now what is the recommended solution if he finds this?

Tim

Second hand diff centres are as cheap as chips (well not quite at around $250!) and are readily available, so I'd replace rather than repair.

Tony

wiseacts
11th July 2011, 12:18 AM
Thank you Finly. I will have a look at the DIff slap before i go for the uni joints.
\

wiseacts
16th July 2011, 08:21 PM
Well, i have done what Finly advised with and the results where as follows;
- There isn't any movement or sound in both uni joints when turning and wriggling.
- I can move the tailshaft freely in about a 1.5 to 2 cm of the round each way clockwise and anticlockwise before feeling load on diff.

Does that mean it is a diff slap and it is recommended to change the diff center?? if yes is there a P/N of the part you guys could provide me so it will be easy for me to order? Thanks.

missingdna
17th July 2011, 09:11 AM
WARNING, THIS REPLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM!!!!

Id recomend sliding under the car and removing the chicken (or chickens if more than one clucking noise). Not only does this remove the annoying cluck....you get free eggs

patch697
17th July 2011, 11:55 AM
- There isn't any movement or sound in both uni joints when turning and wriggling.
- I can move the tailshaft freely in about a 1.5 to 2 cm of the round each way clockwise and anticlockwise before feeling load on diff.

Does that mean it is a diff slap and it is recommended to change the diff center?? if yes is there a P/N of the part you guys could provide me so it will be easy for me to order? Thanks.

The amount of free play (Diff slap) in your Diff does not sound excessive. Diffs are required to have a small amount of free play in them & I wouldn't be stressing over the amout you have.

Keep looking mate.

Finly Owner
17th July 2011, 09:52 PM

OK so, next one to check is bit more in depth. Providing all the patrols are the same,........ you have a two part drive shaft at the front diff? Have a look there for any dirt build up where the outer shaft slides over the inner one. If you have too much oil and dirt built up there, you'll need to remove this assembly. Otherwise if it's reasonably clean. push against that joint in an upward motion and feel for any movement in there. Also do the twisty back and forth to feel for movement. These splines can wear, and give off a clunk noise during gear changing. If you have to take the assembly to clean it before checking, it becomes very easy to look for slop in the splines.

I know all of this as my Finly has another shaft ready to go in to replace my one doing this exact thing.

Tim