PDA

View Full Version : Career Change

T0nka
8th July 2011, 08:59 PM
Have any of you blokes done an up and about in your 40s career wise?

Im over working on pcs, i'm between jobs and im doing a lot of pondering.

if you have how did you find the transition and are you glad you made the change?

growler2058
8th July 2011, 09:09 PM
A change is as good as a holiday they say! Give it a go I've done a full about face in me 30's and now a few months off 40 would change again if I felt I needed/wanted to. Have had many many totally different jobs from real estate tree feller avriculture builders laborer site supervisor defense jims mowing sausage maker and on and on it goes! If ya need a change go for it

timbar
8th July 2011, 09:23 PM
not in my 40's but was a Baker for 17 years then i just gave up due to health reasons and took a tafe coarse cert2 and cert 3 and cert 4 in I.T. during this time my next door neibour was a carpet layer and i was working 2 to 3 days a week with him for extra cash and 6 years later i am fully qualifyed and running my own business

Sir Roofy
8th July 2011, 09:33 PM
NOT IN MY 40s THATS A DREAM LOL BUT IF YOU NEED A CHANGE DONT BE SCARED JUST DO IT(MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ANOTHER BEFORE YOUGO THESEDAYS)NOT LIKE WHEN WE WHERE YOUNG JUST CHUCK IT IN AND FIND ANOTHER IN HOURS OR DAYS
THERE TELLING US THERES JOBS OUT THERE,GO FOR IT MATE DONT GO STALE AND SOUR THINKING ABOUT IT

CHEERS
ROOFY

Woof
8th July 2011, 09:46 PM
I left a great job it NSW after 20 years, packed everything into a container and sent it to Perth, loaded up the family and headed West.
I had no job lined up and did not even know where we were going to live, everyone thought that I was mad, some things did not turn out as planned (had nothing to do with the change) but would do it again without thinking.
Life is way too short to not try something different mate..................I landed on my feet and its not too bad at all......just got to do it....been here 12 years and love it.

AB
8th July 2011, 11:56 PM
I agree, don't be scared for the change.

I started off in a factory doing factory jobs and moved into the office doing basic office jobs.

I got an offer one day in my teens to be the operations manager for a commercial signage company and look after some pretty serious projects for the entire transport of Melbourne and looking after 30 installers and projects every day.

I was scared of the change and just wanted to cruise through my factory roles but my old man pushed me towards it.

The experience I learnt, the training, the stress, the money, etc just led me to so many other opportunites in life and god knows where I would be now if I didnt take that risk/opportunity back then.

Go for it mate....1 shot at life so take every opportunity you have!!!

Silver
9th July 2011, 12:52 AM
neighbour changed from toolmaker to shopfitter and is happy as.

Bigrig
9th July 2011, 12:56 AM
A few years ago I quit my job (ethical issues ... go figure!! lol) and went back to Concreting (concreter by trade), to get away from what I was doing and 'clear the mind' ... did it for 14 months, and happy as that I did ... back in the same industry as before but have a more 'hard work/people are important' philosophy than I had before and reaping the rewards ....

T0nka
9th July 2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys, any truckies in the house? Im considering going that way, i love driving and i love being on the road, i also love the notion of no boss over my shoulder. Would love to hear from some truck drivers, the pros and cons of the job