PDA

View Full Version : Rd28 heating issue

times96
26th September 2020, 07:25 PM
hello everyone I have a weird problem

So my factory gauge reads hot but my after market gauge ready always about 80 to 86 my egts are nice and low and only ever get to about 300 to 400 on a big hill spooling full noise

But at 80 degrees factory gauge reads dead centre and gauge hits about 82 it starts to climb like no tommorow ? I have replaced the coolant temp sensor water pump and new clutch fan and still does it ?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you everyone

mudnut
27th September 2020, 09:43 AM
Get an aftermarket gauge and sender for accurate readings. Nissan gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Cuppa
27th September 2020, 09:57 AM
Sounds like you are unsure whether to trust either of your gauges. Which temp sensor did you replace - factory or after market?

Maybe you could try one of those point & shoot infra red temp gauges pointed at the thermostat housing. (Wont read the same as the sensor, but should show increase in temp if it happens) Establish a baseline reading when your aftermarket gauge is reading 80, & then see what it says when it reaches 82 & the factory gauge has climbed?

times96
27th September 2020, 11:15 AM
I replaced the factory sender with a new probe from repco (the single prong) is it common for the cluster gauges to just give ?

mudnut
27th September 2020, 07:16 PM
Yep.............

it could also be an earthing problem at the chassis or gauge cluster. You should be able to check the cluster for bad joints or wiring.

Tip12345
28th September 2020, 08:36 AM
sounds like my problem …. I am still working it out but mine appears to be the dash end .

Tip12345
28th September 2020, 05:38 PM
I got a 5k linear pot and a bit of wire and simulated the temperature sender .so ran one wire from the pot to the temp sender wire and one to earth . wind it up and down watch the gauge mine catches in the middle . I also measured the resistance of the sender as it warmed up came the the conclusion that the gauge in the dash is faulty . I am still playing with the bugger of a thing