PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Tyres.

Cuppa
7th September 2020, 08:49 PM
Has anyone tried any of the newer generation 'hybrid' tyres? Eg Toyo RT (Rugged Terrain, Nitto Ridge Grappler & I'm sure there are others. A cross between AT's & Muddies.

They are looking attractive to me because they appear to have sidewalls less prone to staking damage which I would value.

They do seem to be a lot more expensive than AT's & MT's though.

I probably ought to replace my half worn 6+ year old spares before we head off remote again, so am thinking about what to replace my D697's with. Sidewall strength is high on my agenda given our vehicle's weight & the amount of bulge I get from the Bridgestones.

MudRunnerTD
7th September 2020, 09:23 PM
Toyota RT

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/37.jpg

Nitto Grappler

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/38.jpg

They both look pretty good Cuppa. How did your current tyres last

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
7th September 2020, 09:33 PM
D697

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/39.jpg

My choice in those woyld be the Nittos. 9nly because they are more aggressive but that is my style. Both options appear more aggressive than these D697s so Side wall is the deciding factor.

I hear great things about the MTRs. They are expensive but nearllt bullet proof.

I assume you are not going to travel in the Wet season ans not concerned about mud.?

Have you looked at the BFG kM3s? They are a muddie but less aggressive than the KM2 IMO. Slightly closer tread pattern.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Winnie
7th September 2020, 09:40 PM
Cuppa is talking about the Ridge grapplers though, not the trail grapplers you have pictured.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/40.jpg

FWIW I did a lot of reading before buying my current tyres (Nitto Trail Grapplers). They seem to be perceived as having the strongest sidewall out of all the options. One thing though is they are HEAVY! Wasn't a concern for me but maybe worthwhile looking into for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Cuppa
7th September 2020, 10:18 PM
The aggressive tread is not a biggie for me. The D697's have been excellent in regard to their traction on everything from the desert sand to the boulders & rocks of the Munja track to the steep jagged climbs in the Gregory NP. Wet weather driving hasn't figured much at all, & river crossings have been fine. If it weren't for what I consider the overly flexible sidewalls of the D697's & their tendency to chip the tread too easily I wouldn't be looking at changing.

If we ever get caught by wet weather, we can just stop & wait it out until things dry out of we have to.

The current D697's are only about 12 months old (bought 4 in Broome), & probably don't have much more than 12,000kms on them, but the rears are already looking half worn with the passenger side rear quite badly chipped. I've heard stories about different quality rubber dependent upon whether the tyres were made in Japan or elsewhere. I think the current set have worn far more quickly than the previous set, with the majority of that having been on dirt, but still quicker than I expected. I haven't rotated them, & have decided not to. The two half worn spares are 7+ years old now, so need replacing. I will swap the two rear tyres with each other, & when they are in need of replacement will buy 4 new tyres & use the current front tyres as spares. For the time being I'll leave the D697's on the Tvan (2+spare).

Winnie, I note your comment about weight. My back may not appreciate it! Do you know if the Toyo RT's are much the same or lighter?

Rear passenger side - approx 12,000kms

mudnut
7th September 2020, 11:02 PM
If I they were still making the BFG Rugged Terrains I would get them again. 50000 ks and still got good tread, but that has been mostly highway driving. They have stood up well to offroad driving too. I will soon have to make a choice on a replacement set so will watch this thread closely.

MudRunnerTD
8th September 2020, 10:16 AM
Based on your photo of your rear tyre Cuppa I reckon the Nitto that Winnie pictured might be the go. The dirt roads are brutal. A muddie will disintegrate i reckon.

I spent 2 years in Northern PNG in the early 1990s and was killing 4 sets of tyres a year. Rubbish 3rd World tyres im sure but they just disappeared.

They are harsh conditions for a rubber tyre. You are heavy. A heavy tyre means more body. Go heavy I reckon.

10G
8th September 2020, 12:57 PM
I've run at least 50,000 ks onto a set of Nitto mud grapplers, bloody good tyres, bloody strong as buggery. Reckon I have another 5-10,000 out of them but they'd be not much use off road.

They are heavy, I'm guessing that's old tech. I've run Cooper ST Maxxs and not had a problem, they're a 50/50 tyre.

I've actually weighed the Nitto and the Cooper, they're both at about the same level of wear and the same size. The Coopers are 2Kg lighter, so multiply 2Kg by the number of tyres you'd run to see how much weight you'd save.

The Nittos were cheaper than just about everything when I bought 'em, now they're almost as expensive as anything else.

I'm happy with the reliability of Nittos, Coopers and BFGs, so my next choice will almost come down to price.

I've not looked at the Falkens yet, but maybe they're worth looking at??????

Cuppa
8th September 2020, 05:27 PM
Based on your photo of your rear tyre Cuppa I reckon the Nitto that Winnie pictured might be the go. The dirt roads are brutal. A muddie will disintegrate i reckon.

I spent 2 years in Northern PNG in the early 1990s and was killing 4 sets of tyres a year. Rubbish 3rd World tyres im sure but they just disappeared.

They are harsh conditions for a rubber tyre. You are heavy. A heavy tyre means more body. Go heavy I reckon.

Well since I last posted a little light went on in my head!
I recalled that when the blown tyre was replaced on the GRR, that the new one obtained there went onto the drawbar of the Tvan, & the unused one which had been on the drawbar was put on the car. It was the rear passenger side wheel. So I did a bit more checking.

I checked the dates on the Tvan tyres & the badly chipped one on the car. All the same 2014 date! I had thought they were younger than that. So the chipped tyre is 6 years old, & I suspect that this is why it has been more damaged than it's 2019 counterpart on the driver side rear. Rubber that has hardened. The part worn 2 spares we have carted around the country for the past couple of years , untouched during that time are 2013! The more I think about it the more I think the majority of the chipping damage occurred fairly recently, most likely on one particular weekend where we towed the Tvan up some long, narrow, steep & very rough & rocky tracks in the hills west of Mareeba, around Irvinebank. Around 3 to 4 hours in low range.

I also checked my records. Since the new tyres were fitted in Broome we have covered 15,000kms , so a bit more than my earlier estimate of 12,000. The tyre in the photo had done perhaps 700kms less, so not a major difference to my earlier estimation.

So whereas I was thinking that new tyres were going to be needed in the near future, I now think it best to replace all the 2014/13 ones before any further remote area trips. With the spare from Nev's place, on the Tvan also a 2019, I think the following replacement strategy probably makes the most sense, safety-wise & economically.

Remove the 3 x 2019 part worn D697's from the car & put them on the Tvan (including one as a spare).
Buy 5 new tyres for the car (including one spare) & keep the current 2019 Tvan Spare as the second spare on the car. This does mean that it may be possible at some point to mix tyre brands on the same axle, not something I would usually do, but as a fallback second spare option to get me out of trouble it doesn't seem unreasonable

So this morning I did some ringing around. It seems that the car tyre industry is experiencing some difficulty in obtaining products due to Covid. Nitto , none anywhere & the ETA for them 'not within the next 3 months'. Price for the Ridge Grappler hybrids - '$325 if we could get them'. In some ways I wasn't sorry as my back really doesn't need any extra weight to lift. So this left my choice with the non-sexy but supposedly capable Toyo M55F's, which a friend with a 3700kg gvm Landcruiser & ultimate camper has been using for 4 years, a good recommendation from someone with a similarly weighty set up & similar travel style. .... or the you beaut Toyo Rugged Terrain (RT) Hybrid, which whilst having fancypants appearance, also has similarly stiff sidewalls as per their MT's. The M55's were priced at $290, but I was only able to locate 2 of them in stock, again with an unknown ETA for any more. The Toyo RT's were in stock both in Cairns, & better still in Mareeba. Contrary to the prices I had seen for these bad boys on the net of $375 each, the price I was quoted was $300 each...... same as I paid for my first set of D697's in 2013!

So tomorrow morning our bank balance will take a hit & we'll be getting a news set of Toyo RT shoes .

MB
8th September 2020, 08:14 PM
Seems some very well thought out all round renewal planning for future proofing next leg of your awesome adventures Cuppa Mate!
Availability of a lot of things Australia wide appears to be hindered by C-19 these days with many like yourself and Mrs T experiencing.
In a perfect world, I wonder what is believed to be the Ultimate ‘Mine Outback Speccy’ type tyre out there?
Much like the capital cities Taxi companies ran Fords to 1,000,000 km in the day and Telcoms and the like relied on GU TD42 podders for their longevity and overall cost versus performance savings I suspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
8th September 2020, 08:31 PM
I wonder what is believed to be the Ultimate ‘Mine Outback Speccy’ type tyre out there?

From what I’ve read, the Toyo M55F would have to be a contender. Mind you don’t forget my car came from Telstra with ‘cheese cutter’ tyres on split rims.

MB
8th September 2020, 08:42 PM
Fair call on the “cheese cutters” mate, I hear you there :-)
My very first DX leafy work weapon came from a trucking company as a support vehicle with I think bald Coopers from memory.
I’m not even sure what utes mining operations around the country choose these days but thinking their bean counters would have some statistics, whether or not that data is practical I really don’t know?

Plasnart
8th September 2020, 08:48 PM
Seems some very well thought out all round renewal planning for future proofing next leg of your awesome adventures Cuppa Mate!
Availability of a lot of things Australia wide appears to be hindered by C-19 these days with many like yourself and Mrs T experiencing.
In a perfect world, I wonder what is believed to be the Ultimate ‘Mine Outback Speccy’ type tyre out there?
Much like the capital cities Taxi companies ran Fords to 1,000,000 km in the day and Telcoms and the like relied on GU TD42 podders for their longevity and overall cost versus performance savings I suspect?

Years ago on another forum (wasn't a patrol forum, can't remember the name now) there was a cop contributor and I asked him how the cop 4bys were shoed. My thinking was whatever they use must be the duck's nuts, being taxpayer funded and all. He came back after enquiring with BFG ATs. That's what was on mine when I bought it in 2007 and they were crap! So, not sure how you tell top notch without trial and error mate? Would think mine spec wasn't as hard on tyres as what cuppa gets up to.

MB
8th September 2020, 09:01 PM
For sure Plassy Mate, site specific around the country after typing too was another belated thought :-)
Private enterprise generally puts a bit more emphasis on bang for bucks too I would assume?

Plasnart
8th September 2020, 09:07 PM
For sure Plassy Mate, site specific around the country after typing too was another belated thought :-)
Private enterprise generally puts a bit more emphasis on bang for bucks too I would assume?

I wouldnt say that so much as mine spec wouldn't need to traverse gnarly sharp-edged lonely tracks so much as groomed and maintained gravel roadways. Look, I might be wrong but I'd be very surprised if they did the hard yakka cuppa's tyres do, without easy radio backup and OH&S support as well.

MB
8th September 2020, 09:11 PM
Awesome Point Plassy Mate!
Keeping the ball rolling, any ideas on what our SES Legends are using these days?

Plasnart
8th September 2020, 09:22 PM
Awesome Point Plassy Mate!
Keeping the ball rolling, any ideas on what our SES Legends are using these days?

BFG ATs probably.

Haha mate no idea but seriously there would be no emergency service hard knocking their rigs as much as overland-adventuring cuppa and mrs T.

The only reason I wouldnt buy ex-emergency service vehicles isn't because of rough terrain abuse, but extended idling bore glazing. Sitting there for hours with the party lights on, often.

MB
8th September 2020, 09:35 PM
Higher hot idling thermostat’s fixes that one, trust me I says :-)

jack
8th September 2020, 09:43 PM
I asked the guys at Arkaroola what they used and they said the cheapest they could get. Sometimes only got as low as 600 km on a set due to damaged side walls. That seemed to work for them as it didn't hurt as much to replace a cheap tyre than an expensive one.
I went up Sillers Lookout with the owners son in his own 70 series and I didn't recognise the tyre brand.

MudRunnerTD
9th September 2020, 01:17 PM
I asked the guys at Arkaroola what they used and they said the cheapest they could get. Sometimes only got as low as 600 km on a set due to damaged side walls. That seemed to work for them as it didn't hurt as much to replace a cheap tyre than an expensive one.
I went up Sillers Lookout with the owners son in his own 70 series and I didn't recognise the tyre brand.

Yeah i reckon that was the go in PNG too. Split rims on every vehicle and basically 2 different tyres. Neither lasted a long time and one was more aggressive than the other for the Wet Season. I used to smash out tyres very quickly if i had a few provincial trips into the villages. I used to flog them though and never knew about dropping tyre pressures up there.

10G
9th September 2020, 01:30 PM
My ex cop Trol had the stock HT whatever tyres on it.

Cuppa
9th September 2020, 04:38 PM
Toyo Rugged Terrain Open Country.

Driven 30kms on bitumen to 'home' - possibly very slightly louder than the D697 AT's, but doubt I would have noticed if not specifically listening to see. Took far less weights to balance each tyre than the Bridgestones - single 60 g on each tyre I think. The Bridgestones had double that on each side of the rims! Felt smooth driving - no front end/steering wheel wobbles. May be imagining it, but both of us felt the tyres were absorbing bumps a little better too. (Same tyre pressures).

MudRunnerTD
9th September 2020, 05:37 PM
They look like a Great choice Cuppa. Keen to see how they cope with the sharp stuff. I like the tread. looks deep and thick.

10G
10th September 2020, 09:04 AM
What size did you get Cuppa? I'm in the market for tyres atm. The Toyos have a pretty good name from what I know.

Cuppa
10th September 2020, 10:33 AM
What size did you get Cuppa? I'm in the market for tyres atm. The Toyos have a pretty good name from what I know.

265/75R16 - $300 each. There seemed to be good availability of them up here atm, unlike the Nittos (Nitto Ridge Grapplers -RT's, were quoted at $315 , but they couldnt say when they would be able to get any.
The whole tyre industry is struggling to get stock across the country as far as I can make out with resulting limited choice. 'Spoke' to someone in Broome with a Tvan last night, having to wait 3 weeks for a pair of AT's to put on their Tvan, and the only ones available there to order in were Bridgestone Supercat AT's which she said "don't get great reviews - but beggars can't be choosers".

Was in touch with Ben (FNQGU) last night too, he's had the RT's on his Cruiser for the past 15,000kms after a pair of Nitto Trail Grapplers - MT's (which he had on for 40,000kms, & liked a lot , but changed at that mileage 'cos they were becoming too 'slippery' on the bitumen). Says he also likes the Toyo RT's a lot, although added that they do belly out more than the Nittos at low pressure (he mentioned a recent slow drive up Big Red on them at 10psi).

10G
10th September 2020, 10:53 AM
Thanks Cuppa. I run about that diameter, 275/65x17 and 265/70x17 I think, I have 2 sets of rims.

I carry a 2nd spare on remote trips which I store on the roof. That seems to get heavier each year. Thinking of getting a 6" rim and putting a 235/85x16 tyre on it so it's a bit lighter & easier to throw on the roof. Could even do that on the rear door as well come to think about it.

I've had so few punctures in my life, not just off road but everywhere, all up.

How have you gone with punctures Cuppa with all your travelling?

Cuppa
10th September 2020, 11:29 AM
How have you gone with punctures Cuppa with all your travelling?

Just one 10G (is that twice as good as 5G? Ha ha Humour from the modern day. :toot:). A 3 " split in the side wall of a 10 day old tyre from an unseen, & very unlucky rock on a sandy section of the track coming out of Mornington wilderness camp.

But we do have great insurance against punctures - 3 spares, interchangeable between car & camper. You can bet if we had less spares we'd have had more punctures! Ha ha.

When we do eventually return to our cold covid ridden home down south my intention is to alter the tyre carrying framework on the front of the Tvan so that the PVC cover (which fits around the tyre) can still be used (to protect the front of the Tvan), but without the need to carry a spare on the Tvan. I think two spares are sufficient.

Had an 'almost puncture' 3 years ago in the Idalia NP from an old nail picked up close to the homestead ruins there. About 2" long & buried up to it's head in the tread, but thankfully at a bit of an angle. Agonised about whether to remove it or leave it in situ at the time, but decided to pull it out, fully expecting to hear air hiss out & the need to plug it. No hiss. It was one of the tyres which were replaced yesterday, having had significant mileage put on it after the nail incident, & then carried as a spare for the past couple of years. Another had a 3" triangular 'flap' sliced into a sidewall, but on examination at a tyre place in Ballarat they pronounced it safe & suggested I just sikaflex it up, which I did. Kept it on all round Tassie & then across the deserts to the Kimberley, including multiple runs back & forth to Broome from up on the Peninsular. Replaced, along with the other 3 in Broome in June last year.

One day I expect I'll get to use the plug kit I've carried for the past 3 years, & when I do it will be the first time I've ever used one!

Re lifting tyres onto the roof, definitely not something I could do, nor want to try, getting older is a bugger eh? threedogs made a roofrack winch affair some time back for that purpose, probably still pics of it here somewhere.

Had plenty of punctures in a variety of vehicles in the past ....... until I worked out that buying second hand tyres was a poor strategy. :)

10G
10th September 2020, 11:34 AM
Yeah, folks don't seem to get punctures much any more. I've carried around a plug kit for a few years and not used it either, but good to know it's there.

Have you ever looked into that stuff you can squirt into your tyre if you get a puncture and it seals it up?? I've not looked into it, I wonder how good and how long that stuff lasts? If it works well and has a good shelf life I may be able to ditch my 2nd spare on the roof.

Winnie
10th September 2020, 12:03 PM
Yeah, folks don't seem to get punctures much any more. I've carried around a plug kit for a few years and not used it either, but good to know it's there.

Have you ever looked into that stuff you can squirt into your tyre if you get a puncture and it seals it up?? I've not looked into it, I wonder how good and how long that stuff lasts? If it works well and has a good shelf life I may be able to ditch my 2nd spare on the roof.I must be very unlucky then, I got at least half a dozen punctures in my last set of BFGs, always lowered tyre pressures when offroad and don't drive like a knob.

The spray stuff does work and can get you out of trouble. It is a temporary fix though and once you have used that, a tyre shop cannot permanently repair the tyre. So a small puncture would mean you have to replace the tyre if you use it.

Cuppa
10th September 2020, 01:45 PM
I've used the non aerosol squirt in your tyre stuff as a preventative measure - horrible green stuff, many years ago on a tubed motorcycle tyre. Supposed to help balance the tyre & to remain liquid, sealing any puncture immediately. Used to see it demonstrated at bike & car shows. Driving six inch nails into a tyre, removing nail & spinning the tyre , very little air lost. I clogged up the tyre valve as well as making hell of a mess, no doubt born of youthful inexperience. Never again!

Have carried aerosol stuff on a dirt bike too, but never had need to use it. As Winnie says it may get you out of trouble, but tyre repairers are reputed to hate it. I don't think I'd want to rely on it alone in remote country.

Cuppa
10th September 2020, 02:03 PM
You should get this bloke onto it 10G. :) Pinched from a thread on ExplorOz forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxodOMpWgc&feature=emb_logo

PeeBee
10th September 2020, 03:46 PM
That is an excellent, simple idea for sure. I made a similar jigger to get my roofrack on and off the car by myself, worked well, but leave it on fulltime now.

paulyg
10th September 2020, 05:42 PM
Just found this thread, I have had the Toyo MTs and now the RTs.
The MTs worked very well for me, this time I went for the RTs, to try something different, and I don't seem to be finding as much mud these days.
The RTs are a little quieter and don't seem to chip as much, on the really rocky tracks, not that the MTs chipped any more than other mud tyres, I have had.
I haven't tried the MTs in thick mud yet, everywhere else I have been very happy with them.

10G
10th September 2020, 05:52 PM
You should get this bloke onto it 10G. :) Pinched from a thread on ExplorOz forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxodOMpWgc&feature=emb_logo

That's not bad eh Cuppa. I suppose he parks under the boat.

Cuppa
10th September 2020, 06:26 PM
Thanks paulyg. They do seem to be liked by those who have them. Good to hear about them going ok on the rocky stuff. Hope all is well with you & L down there in Vic.

the evil twin
11th September 2020, 12:24 PM
I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Y62... very happy with them, quiet on the bitumen, great on the beach and the tracks.
When the time comes I will be getting another set thats for sure.

Grant209
11th September 2020, 07:29 PM
I just replaced the set of BF Goodrich Mud's that I wasn't that keen on going with, was intending to go for a set of All Terrain Tyres originally, not seeing the benifits of Mud Terrain, so did look at Toyo 4wd Tyres as they are listed at a good prices as shown below, but I knew bugger all about Toyo Tyres.

I had used a couple Sets of KUMHO All Terrain's on my D22 for a few years, got good mileage, and found them to be OK for a 4wd tyre and good on the black top and were priced good too, but was surprised the KUMHO price had raised some since my last set and told they were nosier then they used to be.

Having been some 5 years since buying my last set of 4wd Tyres and being a little on the back foot on what tyres are good and not so good, and that my spear tyre . . . BFG KM3 with about 50% good tread, I went for another set of 4 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM3 for $1200.

Looking back at it now, I could had gone for a 5 set of TOYO Open Country AT2 for the same overall price.

paulyg
12th September 2020, 10:29 AM
One thing I have noticed with the Toyo tyres, Both the MT and RT, I have to air down a little more than other tyres I have had.
They have a very stiff sidewall.

Winnie
12th September 2020, 01:39 PM
One thing I have noticed with the Toyo tyres, Both the MT and RT, I have to air down a little more than other tyres I have had.
They have a very stiff sidewall.Yes same with the nittos. I don't see it as such a bad thing, I figure that means the sidewalls are stronger.

Wizard52
15th September 2020, 09:13 PM
The aggressive tread is not a biggie for me. The D697's have been excellent in regard to their traction on everything from the desert sand to the boulders & rocks of the Munja track to the steep jagged climbs in the Gregory NP. Wet weather driving hasn't figured much at all, & river crossings have been fine. If it weren't for what I consider the overly flexible sidewalls of the D697's & their tendency to chip the tread too easily I wouldn't be looking at changing.

If we ever get caught by wet weather, we can just stop & wait it out until things dry out of we have to.

The current D697's are only about 12 months old (bought 4 in Broome), & probably don't have much more than 12,000kms on them, but the rears are already looking half worn with the passenger side rear quite badly chipped. I've heard stories about different quality rubber dependent upon whether the tyres were made in Japan or elsewhere. I think the current set have worn far more quickly than the previous set, with the majority of that having been on dirt, but still quicker than I expected. I haven't rotated them, & have decided not to. The two half worn spares are 7+ years old now, so need replacing. I will swap the two rear tyres with each other, & when they are in need of replacement will buy 4 new tyres & use the current front tyres as spares. For the time being I'll leave the D697's on the Tvan (2+spare).

Winnie, I note your comment about weight. My back may not appreciate it! Do you know if the Toyo RT's are much the same or lighter?

Rear passenger side - approx 12,000kms

Hi Cuppa
The Bridgestone tyres made in Japan are only available at Bridgestone Stores so other retailers have tyres made in another country.
I have had 3 sets of Japanese Bridgestones and get 100k a set including current 697's at 99k after doing Gunbarrel, Mitchell Falls and rest of Gibb but definitely need replacing after October trip to Fraser. I also found rear left tyre wore much quicker than the rest on gravel.
When you eventually get down this way, call in and will show you around Fraser. There were plenty of fish late August but weed has come in now so more social drinking than fishing planned for October.

threedogs
16th September 2020, 10:14 AM
hi all this is my hoist. Works a treat, if anyone is interested shot me a PM.
Dont have the heart to throw it out. Id have it on my roof rack today but it wont fit under the carport
Folds flat to travel, Ive rated it to only 50kg ,save ppl trying to lift a 44 gallon drum, I might lift it
but you wont be trying it on my Patrol lol lol

Cuppa
16th September 2020, 03:50 PM
Hi Cuppa
The Bridgestone tyres made in Japan are only available at Bridgestone Stores so other retailers have tyres made in another country.
I have had 3 sets of Japanese Bridgestones and get 100k a set including current 697's at 99k after doing Gunbarrel, Mitchell Falls and rest of Gibb but definitely need replacing after October trip to Fraser. I also found rear left tyre wore much quicker than the rest on gravel.
When you eventually get down this way, call in and will show you around Fraser. There were plenty of fish late August but weed has come in now so more social drinking than fishing planned for October.

Hiya Wiz Wizard52
I had heard similar about Japanese made Bridgestones only being available to Bridgestone dealers, but found all of my Bridgestones were made in Japan, including the 4 I bought last year in Broome, which definitely did not come from a Bridgestone dealer. The place I bought them from managed to get them freighted in from somewhere in Australia, and sold them to me at not only a lower price than the Broome Bridgestone dealer, but also $15 per tyte less than I had paid down south 5 or so years earlier!

For me with our weight 100k is a dream. Got 60k out of the first six with regular 10k rotations The newer ones have worn quicker, but have had a pretty hard life. Now on the Tvan. I doubt they'll see 60k though. Looking forward to Fraser with you some day.

Wizard52
17th September 2020, 05:59 PM
Hiya Wiz Wizard52
I had heard similar about Japanese made Bridgestones only being available to Bridgestone dealers, but found all of my Bridgestones were made in Japan, including the 4 I bought last year in Broome, which definitely did not come from a Bridgestone dealer. The place I bought them from managed to get them freighted in from somewhere in Australia, and sold them to me at not only a lower price than the Broome Bridgestone dealer, but also $15 per tyte less than I had paid down south 5 or so years earlier!

For me with our weight 100k is a dream. Got 60k out of the first six with regular 10k rotations The newer ones have worn quicker, but have had a pretty hard life. Now on the Tvan. I doubt they'll see 60k though. Looking forward to Fraser with you some day.

Good price no doubt. The local Bridgestone dealer told me that they were only ones to have the jap tyres but I won't be going back to him as he stitched me up on last set of tyres.
Was going KO2s but will look further in October.

MB
17th September 2020, 09:07 PM
A top work mate scored what appears to be the last set of all Nitto’s left within our little outer lockdown region today.
He was trying for the:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/77.jpg
Scored the:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/78.jpg
Reckon they’ll suit his twin cab Navara just fine as his employment needs are some 90% highway / 5% gravel / 5% greasy jobsites versus my newish fanboy work Trail Grappler M/T’s slightly overkill 80/10/10% sludgey jobsite needs :-)

Samkr
18th September 2020, 06:50 AM
you should replace your worn out spares, the newer hybrids are better in so many ways. they are a bit expensive but it is worth every penny