PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Booster Indoor / Outdoor

NissanGQ4.2
7th July 2011, 10:01 PM
Any of you guys / girls currently use or have used a wireless booster, if so, did it make much of a difference, my wireless connection is sh!thouse and I really need 2 do something about it

Cheers

Toddie

Bigrig
7th July 2011, 10:05 PM
I know of some small business operators over time who use wireless range extenders for warehouses etc, and they seem to do the trick!

Maxhead
7th July 2011, 10:07 PM
Do you mean wireless as in home internet, etc?

NissanGQ4.2
7th July 2011, 10:12 PM
Yeh wireless home internet ( usb dongle 4 lappy ), Its suppose 2 use the optus 3G network, on my 3G mobile I get pretty much full coverage, but the wireless internet I'm lucky 2 get any signal strength and it seems 2 be dropping in and out.....surfing the net at the moment is slow and painful :(

Close 2 ringing my provider and telling them 2 shove there useless wireless service ( or lack thereof! )

Maxhead
7th July 2011, 10:19 PM
Yeh wireless home internet ( usb dongle 4 lappy ), Its suppose 2 use the optus 3G network, on my 3G mobile I get pretty much full coverage, but the wireless internet I'm lucky 2 get any signal strength and it seems 2 be dropping in and out.....surfing the net at the moment is slow and painful :(

Close 2 ringing my provider and telling them 2 shove there useless wireless service ( or lack thereof! )

Ok, I thought it might have been ADSL or cable plugged into a wireless router.

Anyway I have Longreach wireless and it uses a stinger(booster), but its not like your normal 3g. I have an aerial on the roof pinpointed to the repeater on the hill. I get about 9-10 Mb/s download speeds

You could get an external aerial for your 3g. Is it a USB dongle thingy??? and witch one is it??

We use Optus for work and its crap, but they do have two different bandwidths..general and business and the later is much much better

HippoNZ
7th July 2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah mate I use one, work provided me with one since I kept missing calls while on call after hours. I'll whack up some pictures and details tomorrow. There a simple install and I went to hardly any coverage to almost always full coverage with consistent quality strength and speeds. You'll find the 3g sticks not the best, I work I.T and have 600 hundred odd users around the country and Aussie! using them, And they can be a rather pedantic tool sometimes. There are also other setups you can use with them. The fact about 3g is it's not a priority on the service providers point of view, they use bandwidth restrictions which make txtn and phone calls higher up on the list instead of data. Ill share more later, sorry don't have the time atm

cheers
Brett

NissanGQ4.2
7th July 2011, 10:29 PM
Ok, I thought it might have been ADSL or cable plugged into a wireless router.

Anyway I have Longreach wireless and it uses a stinger(booster), but its not like your normal 3g. I have an aerial on the roof pinpointed to the repeater on the hill. I get about 9-10 Mb/s download speeds

You could get an external aerial for your 3g. Is it a USB dongle thingy??? and witch one is it??

We use Optus for work and its crap, but they do have two different bandwidths..general and business and the later is much much better

I wish Kris, I went from adsl ( was a little quicker than adsl 1 but slower than adsl2 ) and was using a wireless router, but in order 2 try and cut some spending I got rid of the home phone which I hardly used, hence why I'm on wireless.

My provider is not optus but use the 3g network or some crap like that. I wish I was getting your speeds, that I would be happy with :)

Think I will have 2 look into the external aerial, shame I can't use my foxtel satellite dish for something useful considering I don't have foxtel.

Maxhead
7th July 2011, 10:32 PM
I wish Kris, I went from adsl ( was a little quicker than adsl 1 but slower than adsl2 ) and was using a wireless router, but in order 2 try and cut some spending I got rid of the home phone which I hardly used, hence why I'm on wireless.

My provider is not optus but use the 3g network or some crap like that. I wish I was getting your speeds, that I would be happy with :)

Think I will have 2 look into the external aerial, shame I can't use my foxtel satellite dish for something useful considering I don't have foxtel.

You can definetly get hi gain aerials for those usb dongles..they work pretty good if you can get them outside on the roof

JohnH
7th July 2011, 10:42 PM
Commonly used by yachties to get wifi in large marinas. I've used this and it works well.

http://www.thewirie.com/

nowoolies
7th July 2011, 10:50 PM
we have a booster called a Ruckus , comes from telstra but it works a treat
and was`nt that dear either i think about $150.00