PDA

View Full Version : Are there different rear sway bar shape for the GQ avail?

PeeBee
27th July 2020, 09:31 PM
Clearing out the garage i came across my rear sway bar that was shoved in the corner as i could not re-connect it after fitting the 70L belly tank. I probably spent an hour , at the time trying to find that exact 'route' to get the sway bar to clear the tank and the diff housing.

So, are all the sway bars the same shape on the GQ or do the aftermarket suppliers change the shape at all? Once i have cleared the garage floor i intend getting back under the vehicle to determine where it is clashing - so more a general question. Additionally does anyone custom make sway bars in Australia? Mine is a July 1997 - last run into the country, originally a 2.8 TD LWB.

garett
28th July 2020, 12:35 AM
not sure if it helps much but there were 3 options for rear sway bar d bushes on GQ's ... different sizes. cant tell you if they are shaped different though

MudRunnerTD
28th July 2020, 01:01 AM
What was it fouling in Phil? Do you just have a standard long range sub? I have not heard this before.

MudRunnerTD
28th July 2020, 01:03 AM
not sure if it helps much but there were 3 options for rear sway bar d bushes on GQ's ... different sizes. cant tell you if they are shaped different though

I believe they are just different thickness. Did you have a factory disconnect? Even that still mounts to the same spot.

PeeBee
28th July 2020, 09:48 AM
I believe they are just different thickness. Did you have a factory disconnect? Even that still mounts to the same spot.

No factory disconnect, bog standard. the long range belly tank was out of a petrol, so unsure if it was made longer than the diesel version, and my nephew who gave me the tank said his patrol wasn't fitted with the rear sway bar when he bought it. I believe its a Brown Davis belly tank. I need to get back under the car and try to fit it again and i think the issue was getting it over the diff coming from the pass side and it was hitting the tank. I will update later this week - still clearing out the garage after 15 yrs of clutter accumulation! I could ring BD I guess, but the last time I did that, to resolve the fuel tank inlet filler pipe it cost me $200 for a couple of exhaust tube bends that didn't fit anyway, so unsure how accurate their advice would be.