PDA

View Full Version : GU Windscreen Removal/ Replacement

Flex
26th July 2020, 07:50 PM
Looking to replace my windscreen on the GU but first I want to remove all the trims to see what is going on under it all (rust...) Can't work out how to remove the outside mould that goes round the glass. Also has anyone got any tips for what else should be replaced (rubbers, etc.) when you replace a windscreen?

mudski
26th July 2020, 08:15 PM
Theres no easy way of removing a windscreen. Maybe ask the mob who you choose to use for the install to tell you the best way to remove the windscreen.

AndrewManning
6th October 2020, 10:32 PM
The mob?! Heck, does he need to get through a Mafia boss first to have his windscreen removed? Hahaha!

Plasnart
6th October 2020, 11:39 PM
Definately replace the rubbers. I can't give you a detailed rundown of the procedure because I had a local windscreen company replace my broken one at my place. Go with fresh rubber definately and make sure he uses lots of sealant (that's why I made him come to my place, not me come to his workshop where he sits you in the waiting room out of sight of the vehicle). Lots of goo is the order of the day and don't go with the big Oh Oh franchise chains. They charge more than double than your honest local small business windscreen man. There's a fair bit of work involved from distant memory. Maybe an hour for someone who knows what they're doing?

mudski
7th October 2020, 07:18 AM
The mob?! Heck, does he need to get through a Mafia boss first to have his windscreen removed? Hahaha!

No the mafia come around and throw you through the windscreen. Thats how they remove it. Just didn't want to let the OP know....

MB
7th October 2020, 05:08 PM
G’day Flex Mate!
The Legends on here also kindly assisted our family GU wagoon leaking windscreen replacement issue uncovering that the ‘Scuttle Panel - Scrivets’ were not attended to by the mobile windscreen chap :-)
The platic push/screw in doodelackers that hold down the rubbery thingymebob is best as I can explain sorry mate :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jff45
15th November 2020, 03:25 PM
Rather than start a new thread.. I’m planning on getting my GU windscreen replaced and I’ve already removed the wipers, air intake cover and trim along the bottom edge. I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find any info on whether the black plastic surround will be a must replace item or can be removed/reinserted into a new rubber.

Anyone done this and have any pics?
Cheers