PDA

View Full Version : Constant noise from rear starting when hitting a bump

Sofes
18th July 2020, 05:53 PM
Hi all,

This has been on and off since I bought my GQ but has only just started happening all the time.
When I am driving along and hit a bump a whirring/whining/screeching noise starts in the rear, sounds like the rear passenger side wheel.

I had my brakes looked at about a month ago and they said it was fine. But I am a bit stumped as to what it could be.
The noise starts when I hit a bump and stops when I come to a stop on the road.

I am thinking either the rear bearing(s) or the LSD diff, but not sure whether they would make sounds when I hit a bump.

If anyone can point me in a direction to check that would be appreciated! Cheers!

0-TJ-0
18th July 2020, 07:23 PM
I had a similar noise when I had a front wheel bearing on the way out. It was intermittent as well but would come and go with corners/swerving.

Sofes
19th July 2020, 09:34 PM
I had a similar noise when I had a front wheel bearing on the way out. It was intermittent as well but would come and go with corners/swerving.

Doesn't sound like its coming from the front, but could it be the rear anyway?
I do need to do a full overhaul of the swivel hubs etc. anyway so that could be it!

Thanks TJ

0-TJ-0
20th July 2020, 08:38 AM
Doesn't sound like its coming from the front, but could it be the rear anyway?
I do need to do a full overhaul of the swivel hubs etc. anyway so that could be it!

Thanks TJ

Yeah, I was just comparing the way you described the noise to what it sounded like when my bearings went. If it's coming from the rear, check your rear bearings.

balwayne
17th August 2020, 05:52 PM
Had the same problem, and it was the rear sway bar.

threedogs
18th August 2020, 02:32 PM
I think maybe something touching the tail shaft every bump
how are all the bushes in the back?