PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter almost empty

abhibeckert
5th July 2011, 05:52 PM
My 1985 datsun king cab has been running a bit rough since I bought it, especially when it's cold or after slowing down for an intersection. It got especially bad while driving home the other night, barely got me home at all, and i finally got off my ass to try and figure out what's going on.

I think it might not be getting enough fuel? The fuel filter is almost empty (see photo) even after letting the engine run for a few minutes, I googled and it seems this can cause the symptoms I'm having?

There are some very minor cracks on the hose between the filter and the pump, so I'll definitely be replacing that. I tried wrapping it in loads of electrical tape and it seemed to run better after that, but this may just have been the engine warming up while testing it. It was noticeably better, but the fuel filter is still nearly empty and it didn't get worse when I removed the tape.

Is this a problem, or is it meant to be full of air?

What's the fix? New fuel hose, new filter, do i need to bleed the air out? I don't know much about engines but am ready to learn.

patch697
5th July 2011, 06:58 PM
Mate thats quite normal for a low pressure inline filter to look like that but If you are having issues with cracks in the fuel line then replace both line & filter at the same time.

Your cracked fuel line is the thing of concern at the moment & I would stop driving it & replace the line asap cos if this was to start leaking fuel (thats if its not already) it could start a very serious fire & potentially harm someone.

abhibeckert
5th July 2011, 07:10 PM
OK good to know. It's not leaking fuel and they're very minor cracks, but thanks for the safety tip. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on it until it's fixed.

It's probably only a couple of bucks to replace, so I'll get one next time i'm in the city.

Now I just need to figure out what the actual problem is... *sigh*

patch697
5th July 2011, 07:21 PM
Whats it doing at the mo?.... Maybe I can help?

MudRunnerTD
6th July 2011, 09:57 AM
Patch is on the money mate, Replace teh fuel filter (this should not be teh primary filter anyway) Put in a couple of those if you want, carry a couple on your tool kit too. Very handy.

Replace teh fuel line also. If it has cracks in it then it is likely to be letting air in....The worst enemy of a good fuel system. Junk it and replace with good hose.

Total cost of fix to date will be under $15, if the problem still exists after this fix then you are a step closer to finding the problem. ;)

YNOT
6th July 2011, 12:14 PM
Start with the basics, how old are the spark plugs and other ignition components? When was the last time the ignition timing was checked? What condition is the carby and air filter in?

The amount of air in that filter is normal as said above, however it may still have a partial internal blockage if it's been on the car for a while.

Tony

abhibeckert
10th July 2011, 10:32 PM
Patch, it's hard start when cold and you have to keep the revs way up while cold (3,000+). Runs mostly fine once warm, occasionally it'll bog down though especially if you quickly go from decelerating to accelerating (turning off at an intersection, etc).

I'll get a new fuel filter/lines next time I'm in the city (2 hour drive from my house).

I just recently acquired the car off my brother, and he didn't keep a service log. The distributer/leads/plugs all look very new (6 months old maybe). I'll have a look inside the carby/air filter when I get a chance.

patch697
10th July 2011, 11:03 PM
Patch, it's hard start when cold and you have to keep the revs way up while cold (3,000+). Runs mostly fine once warm, occasionally it'll bog down though especially if you quickly go from decelerating to accelerating (turning off at an intersection, etc).

I'll get a new fuel filter/lines next time I'm in the city (2 hour drive from my house).

I just recently acquired the car off my brother, and he didn't keep a service log. The distributer/leads/plugs all look very new (6 months old maybe). I'll have a look inside the carby/air filter when I get a chance.

First things first.... Check the contact points.... They are prone to burning out very quickly & are the cheapest thing to replace.... Go over all your basics as mentioned & if your problem persist (please see your doctor....lolol) get back to us & we will se how we can help you get it sorted.

Cheers
Paul