PDA

View Full Version : Shoplifting

molongmick
3rd July 2011, 07:14 PM
Post deleted

Clunk
3rd July 2011, 07:23 PM
woah that's a tuffy, bit of a dilemma too I would have thought............... because wouldn't yourself as a parent get in trouble for yours lil ones misdemeanor too????!!!! (if you were to go back the the scene of the crime or cop shop)................ I must admit I'm not up on the law so someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I think a good sturdy talking off the parents would suffice for now mate..... just my thoughts

molongmick
3rd July 2011, 07:26 PM
woah that's a tuffy, bit of a dilemma too I would have thought............... because wouldn't yourself as a parent get in trouble for yours lil ones misdemeanor too????!!!! (if you were to go back the the scene of the crime or cop shop)................ I must admit I'm not up on the law so someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I think a good sturdy talking off the parents would suffice for now mate..... just my thoughts

Yeah it is a dilemma, just not really sure what to do.

katwoman
3rd July 2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah it is a dilemma, just not really sure what to do.

If you can find a nice cop, willing to help out, not scare the sh!t outta him.. Id go the police way.. When my boy was about that age he flatly refused to wear a seat belt. So I got the local cop to pull me over and give him a 'talking to'...
Worked a charm.

Woof
3rd July 2011, 07:52 PM
Mick I would go back to the shop with him and get him to confess his wrong doing and hand it back.
No need to involve the cops as I am sure that he has learnt his lesson, maybe the shop owner can get him to push a broom around for a couple of days during the school holidays as punishment.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd July 2011, 08:22 PM
Agree with Wayne, take him back 2 the shop and let the shop owner decide his punishment

Sir Roofy
3rd July 2011, 08:43 PM
i would take him back to the shop chat to the manager let them decide
once he knows your taking him back he'll be very scared of what might happen
this is where you have to make a stand and do what you said

the ferret
3rd July 2011, 10:11 PM
As a Dad, of two boys and a girl, I would like to say that at 8, he is in his impressionable years, you must handle this with great care.
Love is the secret.
I would not threaten him with going back to the shop, first I would contact the shop manager and make an "apointment" and explain where you're coming from.
There is no need to make the child sweep floors as a form of punishment, but more so for the shop owner to "explain" why it's not the done thing, citing how hard people have to work to obtain the things they need and the correct way to go about it. Praise your child if he agrees to confront the store manager and say how sorry he is for taking something that does not belong to him.
It's early days, he's only 8, this doesn't mean he's going to be a shoplifter or drug addict, If you handle this with your heart, it will be the end of it, trust me.
Rod.

DX grunt
3rd July 2011, 10:47 PM
My 2c worth...........

IMHO, kids that young soak up more info they get from other people, rather than parents.

Phase 1 has happened. He's been caught with 'stolen property'.

Phase 2. I'd be chatting with the store owner and tell him the full story, then get him to have a chat with your son. I'd be getting my son to hand the light back and saying 'sorry' as part of the process.
I'm sure the store owner would like to know "why'? He needs to give your son a Victim Impact Statement, of how stealing affects any business, especially a small business. Shop lifting is a multi billion dollar business and people need to know it. Your son may have also done it as a dare or peer pressure. He needs to know that if it doesn't belong him he doesn't touch it, unless he asks the owner.

Phase 3. Give your local police station's Officer in Charge a ring and have a chat to him, explaining the situation. If you want him to have a chat to your son, ask.
As it's a sensitive situation, I'd be asking for an officer that's been around a bit and has kids to have a chat to your son.

As Rod has said - 'love is the secret.' Your son needs to know that you love him, that's why you're 'helping him'. Parenting is tough love and you need to communicate with him.

I've been in exactly the same situation. I was traumatized! It took me a while to get it together, but I did just that. 1. Took my kid and the item back to the shop and got them to say sorry, then took them down to the cop shop for a chat, then gave him a big cuddle, told him how much I love him and what I did was to help him to learn how to be responsible. If it's not yours, you don't touch it, unless asked.

Parenting is tough love. Please don't blame yourself. I went through the guilts and after a while, I realized I had done my best to bring up my 4 boys, but at sometime in their life, they have to learn right from wrong. He may be traumatized too. Communicate with him.

Three (3) of my 4 boys aged 24-16, still cuddle me and it's nothing for any of us to say "I love you" and give a cuddle.

PM me if you want to chat privately.

Take care and all the best with your decision.

Rossco

Finly Owner
3rd July 2011, 11:51 PM
No advice from me, just thought all this has been well said and all need thanking for their thoughtful responses.

Tim

molongmick
3rd July 2011, 11:56 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. It is a difficult situation for me to deal with.

patch697
4th July 2011, 12:49 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice. It is a difficult situation for me to deal with.

You can ask & listen to all the advice in the world mate but at the end of the day....... Listen to what your heart tells you to do. He's your Son, you know how he ticks better than anyone so you also know what will get the best & right result here.

Just have a little faith in the fact that your a Dad & a loving one at that & you'll do whats right mate, after all your he's Dad.

Best Regards
Paul

the ferret
4th July 2011, 01:04 AM
It's no big deal mate, at the end of the day you'll smile about it, kids go through this stage, it's not your fault, this happens all the time, it'll pass, just keep an eye on the situation, continue just being the Dad.