PDA

View Full Version : Zd30 common rail overheating

ReggieRay
12th June 2020, 09:03 AM
hi, I'm Reggie, I got a zd30 common rail 2007 overheating, changed radiator and thermostat, no luck, passed Teekay test and leak down test, what else could it be?
anyone got scantool to check ECU and its outputs in Brisbane??? I'm stumped

nipagu7
12th June 2020, 09:29 AM
have you checked your maf sensor , if it is dirty it may cause the engine to over fuel and run hot .

mudnut
12th June 2020, 10:27 AM
Are the fan belts tight, the shrouds in place and the fan only spins 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn when flicked by hand?

Fireblade
12th June 2020, 11:19 AM
mudnut sound like he's onto it, i was going to suggest the same

happygu
12th June 2020, 12:48 PM
Hi Reggie,

Have you flushed out the block?
I do know of a batch of 2007 models where the radiators sludged up due to left over casting sand / contaminants in the block ... the symptoms being temperature would be normal around town, but get up to highway speed and they would start to overheat. In all these cases, the radiators were around 1/3 blocked up with sludge, and had to be rodded out to clean - normally doing this fixed most problems.

I know you said you have changed out the radiator, but if this is the case with yours, you might want to flush out the block too.

mudski
12th June 2020, 01:51 PM
^^^^^ That or viscous fan hub no working anymore.

ReggieRay
12th June 2020, 04:23 PM
nipagu7 where is the maf sensor? anyone on Brisbane southside can help? can pay $$
viscous fan providing plenty of resistance when I try to spin it, spinning 1/4 at best
happygu flush out the block? what do you mean flush out the block? before radiator change, it was only getting hot on highway, now radiator and thermostat changed, it gets hot everywhere, usually after around 15 minutes of driving, but often drops back to halfway after about 30 seconds to a minute, then goes up again randomly, sometimes not for a while though.
is there any recall on this faulty batch of 2007s?

mudski
12th June 2020, 04:57 PM
Resistance when hot or cold? Get the car at running temp and see if the fan is locking up. A good way, albeit a tad dangerous is to try and stop the fan from spinning when its at temp. Usually a good thick welding glove does the trick for finger protection. just make sure the blades are spinning away from you when you try to stop it. If you can stop it when its hot, the hub is fubar.

Mickhead
12th June 2020, 05:18 PM
Resistance when hot or cold? Get the car at running temp and see if the fan is locking up. A good way, albeit a tad dangerous is to try and stop the fan from spinning when its at temp. Usually a good thick welding glove does the trick for finger protection. just make sure the blades are spinning away from you when you try to stop it. If you can stop it when its hot, the hub is fubar.

Hahaha if you cant stop it youre fubar :) :) :)

PeeBee
12th June 2020, 05:26 PM
Check you dont have a collapsed radiator hose. Additionally, I know its hard to check without removal, but your water pump impeller may be corroded or even non existent if the coolant concentrations have been off the mark or its simp,y done a lot of kilometers. I would use a rolled up newspaper to check the fan, just a bit less risk.

Mickhead
12th June 2020, 06:07 PM
nipagu7 where is the maf sensor? anyone on Brisbane southside can help? can pay $$
viscous fan providing plenty of resistance when I try to spin it, spinning 1/4 at best
happygu flush out the block? what do you mean flush out the block? before radiator change, it was only getting hot on highway, now radiator and thermostat changed, it gets hot everywhere, usually after around 15 minutes of driving, but often drops back to halfway after about 30 seconds to a minute, then goes up again randomly, sometimes not for a while though.
is there any recall on this faulty batch of 2007s?

Seriously is it REALLY getting hot or are you going by the gauge? Temp sensor Fukked up?

mudski
12th June 2020, 06:54 PM
Seriously is it REALLY getting hot or are you going by the gauge? Temp sensor Fukked up?

Yeah I was thinking that maybe too. Dodgy temp sender...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
12th June 2020, 07:07 PM
An airlock can cause overheating.

Have you burped the air out of the system. Park the vehicle with the nose slightly up hill. When the engine is cool, take off the radiator cap and tape a half 1.25 l plastic soft drink bottle to the radiator neck. Take the overflow hose off at the overflow bottle and tape it up to the bottle, or block it so water doesn't flow out.

Turn the car on and run it until all the air comes out the neck. Squeeze the hoses to help move any air. On my petrol engine there is an air bleeding screw near the thermostat. I don't know if the ZD has one or not.

Dhuck
12th June 2020, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

ReggieRay
12th June 2020, 09:16 PM
thanks.. yes definitely getting hot, crimps on the new radiator getting push outwards.. will try putting a roll of newspaper in the fan tomorrow, resisting at cold temp.. anyone in brisbane can help diagnose? can buy you a slab if we make a breakthrough lol located southside.. want to try this air removal trick.. how can I block the overflow hose? tape it up to the bottle? what do you mean?
when it gets too hot, radiator is vibrating a little and some gushing water noises coming from inside the rad..

PeeBee
12th June 2020, 09:24 PM
The gushing sound is probably steam. Are you sure the radiator is not blocked?

mudski
12th June 2020, 09:42 PM
An airlock can cause overheating.

Have you burped the air out of the system. Park the vehicle with the nose slightly up hill. When the engine is cool, take off the radiator cap and tape a half 1.25 l plastic soft drink bottle to the radiator neck. Take the overflow hose off at the overflow bottle and tape it up to the bottle, or block it so water doesn't flow out.

Turn the car on and run it until all the air comes out the neck. Squeeze the hoses to help move any air. On my petrol engine there is an air bleeding screw near the thermostat. I don't know if the ZD has one or not.

You don't need to burp the cooling system on those Craig. They are a self burping system in a nut shell.

ReggieRay
12th June 2020, 09:47 PM
how can I tell if it's blocked?? it's a new radiator..

mudnut
12th June 2020, 09:59 PM
You don't need to burp the cooling system on those Craig. They are a self burping system in a nut shell.

Good to know. Thanks, Mark.

Fireblade
12th June 2020, 10:18 PM
Sounds like a lot of people adding suggestions,
I’ll try add what others haven’t.
Does the top radiator hose and bottom radiator hose feel the same? In two ways when it’s hot/running temp are both hoses feeling the same temperature or is one really hot and the other cold? They should be same when running at operating temperature. If they they are feeling a lot different then that indicated the cooling system isn’t circulating coolant can be a few reasons then like thermostat stuck (I know you fitted new one but I’ve seen new parts out of a box be faulty) or blocked radiator.
Also when squishing the hoses you should feel if there is water inside or air, if the don’t feel the same when squeezed then it could be air and that would explain the heating..
Can’t remember if someone already said to check drive belt, that obviously runs water pump and if the hydraulic tensioner is failing then the belt might not be spinning the water pump enough.
I’ll wait to head how you go with those hose hope the resolute start pointing you in a direction for diagnosing

PeeBee
12th June 2020, 11:33 PM
how can I tell if it's blocked?? it's a new radiator..

Sorry missed that point. I was focused on the gurgling response.

mudnut
13th June 2020, 12:38 AM
Did you test the thermostat before fitting it. I have had a brand new one fail on me once.

nipagu7
13th June 2020, 12:56 PM
if you dont know where the maf sensor is it would be a fair bet that it might need a clean . it it the electrical sensor just after the air box and before the turbo . you will need a torx bit to remove it and some maf cleaner spray (both can be got at supercheap ) . just pay attention when pulling the sensor out to make sure you put it back the same way . i clean mine every time i change the oil at 5000ks , if i leave it for 10000ks i can really tell the difference with the car going noticeably better .

the evil twin
13th June 2020, 02:24 PM
Most common causes of overheating ZD30's

Viscous Clutch (probably 50% of all issues IMHO are a bad hub)
Bottom of Rad Core ratshit (can't be that in this case)
Thermostat (again been changed)
Pump/Hoses

I would check the viscous clutch and at the same time the fan blades at the hub. The blade mouldings crack at the hub and if there are any signs of cracks I would replace the fan and the clutch.

Never heard of a MAF sensor causing chronic overheating but it might I spose however I would think the Car would run like an absolute dog if the MAF was that bad.

Like Mudski suggested... rule out a bad hub before going much further

ReggieRay
13th June 2020, 08:10 PM
top radiator hose and bottom radiator hose feel the same.. can't tell when I squeeze them if there's water or air.. drive belt looks OK? hydraulic tensioner??? huh?
new thermostat is genuine Nissan..
stuck wad of newspaper in fan while running at temp.. was completely undeterred by my efforts to stop it.. just kept going..
anyone in Brisbane can help check the maf sensor please? 🙏🙏🙏

nipagu7
14th June 2020, 10:36 AM
i suggestted cleaning the maf sensor as i believe it is a easy, quick and cheap starting point to working thu the problem , especially if you dont have a catch can.it also should be done regularly. there is a post called CHECKING AND CLEANING MAF SENSORS that you could look thru and if you search PATROL MAF SENSOR on youtube you will find a heap of youseful videos . do make sure that you burp the coolant system properly . you need to warm the car up first to get the thermostat to open, then hold the revs over 2000 rpm for about 10 seconds . i had to do this about 4 times ( hold the revs up , not warm the car up ) . you will see more air come into the pressureised coolant bottle . let the car cool down then top the pressureised bottle up . over the next few days i topped the non pressureised overflow bottle up a couple of times as well.

mudnut
14th June 2020, 10:41 AM
new thermostat is genuine Nissan.

I would still check to see if it worked properly, since the over heating is so bad.

nipagu7
14th June 2020, 10:52 AM
i have heard of thermostats being put in upside down as well . wonder if this is the cause ?

Fireblade
14th June 2020, 01:50 PM
I’m all for people working on their own car but Reggie sounds like your abit in familiar with parts of your engine, I’d suggest someone coming to you or safely getting the car to someone that knows what they are doing. With cooling issues if not worked right you could kill the engine or hurt yourself.
Assuming the top and bottom hose is the same then the thermostat is opened.
Could be air in the system and if so that should be easily fixed.
I’ve not heard of maf sensor causing heating but regardless it’s 5mins to pull out and clean and yes should be done every 5000km it’s cheap, fast and simple to do.

ReggieRay
15th June 2020, 09:22 AM
anyone in Brisbane who can help? can pay $$.. every mechanic I go to doesn't seem to know what they're doing and charge me money for just farting around.. I've topped the non pressurised overflow bottle up a few times already..
I did a 40 minute round trip today with an hour break in between with no issues strangely 🤔 first time in ages it has run without issues..
anyone in Brisbane can help?

Fireblade
15th June 2020, 12:47 PM
again could be air and wasnt all bleed out, now after driving and topping it up it may be bleeding air out and getting better.
there is no harm in taking the pressure cap off the coolant bottle and sit the car till its up to temp, turn the heater on and and make sure the ground is level or at least the top of the bottle is the highest point of the cooling system.
and you may find some air coming out after about half an hour you should have all the air out and put the cap on and go for a drive.
hope that makes sense it would be easier to talk rather than type.

mudski
15th June 2020, 01:47 PM
anyone in Brisbane who can help? can pay $$.. every mechanic I go to doesn't seem to know what they're doing and charge me money for just farting around.. I've topped the non pressurised overflow bottle up a few times already..
I did a 40 minute round trip today with an hour break in between with no issues strangely �� first time in ages it has run without issues..
anyone in Brisbane can help?

This tells me there must have been air in the system and its bleeding itself out.

mudnut
15th June 2020, 05:47 PM
This tells me there must have been air in the system and its bleeding itself out.

Since you posted that it is a self blurping system, I wonder if there is a blockage somewhere. ReggieRay did you have the heater control set to hot with when you filled the system?

mudski
15th June 2020, 09:05 PM
Since you posted that it is a self blurping system, I wonder if there is a blockage somewhere. ReggieRay did you have the heater control set to hot with when you filled the system?

Yeah they are mate. Since he's stated that he's topped it up a few times and its been ok on the last trip. It might have just been that. We hope. And the Patrol dont run a heater tap so having the heater on hot or cold wont make a difference.

mudnut
15th June 2020, 09:44 PM
Patrol dont run a heater tap so having the heater on hot or cold wont make a difference.

Learning stuff on here, every day.

Fireblade
16th June 2020, 08:34 AM
i did not know that, as a general rule on all cars ive always turned the heater on the bleed the cooling system.
figure it cant harm it but good to know.

mudski
16th June 2020, 12:14 PM
i did not know that, as a general rule on all cars ive always turned the heater on the bleed the cooling system.
figure it cant harm it but good to know.

Yeah the Patrols just divert the hot air from the box rather than using a heater tap to shut off the water supply to the heater core. Been thinking about running a tap somehow as heat does tend to get in via the vents and you really feel it in the summer.

ReggieRay
16th June 2020, 05:01 PM
so did a long run around town and was ok until I got on the highway 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️ when I got off the highway, it got better... what should I do? flush the block? anyone in Brisbane who can help with this? what do you think about this product or is it a gimmick? https://costeffective.com.au/product/overheating-value-pack/

Fireblade
16th June 2020, 08:13 PM
It may work but it may be a solution to a cause that you don’t have.
Medicine is good if you have the exact sickness that it’s meant for..
Also saw a price of $500 so not like it’s cheap I feel first step is to get eyes and hands of someone who know what they are doing to look at it..
I Knew a mechanism that said he once saw a patrol air con condenser fan fail and then the confessor heat soaked the radiator causing heating issues, only just remembered the story. Not saying that’s your issue but worth a look

mudski
16th June 2020, 08:32 PM
so did a long run around town and was ok until I got on the highway [emoji1751]*[emoji3603][emoji1751]*[emoji3603][emoji1751]*[emoji3603] when I got off the highway, it got better... what should I do? flush the block? anyone in Brisbane who can help with this? what do you think about this product or is it a gimmick? https://costeffective.com.au/product/overheating-value-pack/

If your going to flush the block find a truck parts place who sell Fleetguard Restore Plus. Trust me. This is the best on the market. I’m a Fleetguard wholesaler and been selling this stuff for 25 or so years. No cleaner comes close to this stuff.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/lt36625.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReggieRay
17th June 2020, 09:27 AM
thanks, but so many suggestions.. so many possible causes.. 🙇*♂️ anyone know someone in. Brisbane who can help?

threedogs
18th June 2020, 03:12 PM
i have heard of thermostats being put in upside down as well . wonder if this is the cause ?

I heard to only use Genuine NISSAN thermostat.
After market are dodgey.
It may not of been said yet ,but only do one thing at a time
that will let you know what the problem is, hope you sort it.

threedogs
18th June 2020, 03:14 PM
thanks, but so many suggestions.. so many possible causes.. 🙇*♂️ anyone know someone in. Brisbane who can help?

Yo again Ill look through my contacts and see if I can find someone.

ReggieRay
18th June 2020, 04:44 PM
thanks.. hate to keep throwing money down the drain on things that turn out not to be the problem..
new thermostat is genuine NISSAN

happygu
18th June 2020, 11:41 PM
thanks.. hate to keep throwing money down the drain on things that turn out not to be the problem..
new thermostat is genuine NISSAN

Reggie,

Was the new Radiator Brand New, or new to you ( as in second hand from another vehicle )?

Brand new should be fine, but new to you could still mean the radiator is the problem ( as you mentioned heating up at high speed, and normal around town )

ReggieRay
19th June 2020, 08:02 PM
brand new aftermarket radiator

PeeBee
19th June 2020, 08:19 PM
Do you know if the new radiator has the same number of 'Fins per inch' as the factory original? I replaced a factory radiator in a Merc G Wagen with an aftermarket unit and they reduced the FPI. The result was inadequate cooling and the vehicle radiator got so hot it actually radiated the heat into the a/c condenser and would lock up the compressor with the higher pressures - was a bloody expensive fix, but a simple cause. Might pay to see if this can be checked?

Fireblade
20th June 2020, 09:05 AM
i've seen previous threads on forums where people say the after market radiators dont work as well. afew people say they will only ever use genuine even though they cost more.

ReggieRay
22nd June 2020, 03:52 PM
appears to be identical..

mudski
23rd June 2020, 08:07 AM
Well it seems the only things you haven't done is replace the water pump, the temp sensor and flushed the cooling system. Pick the cheapest and work from there.

ReggieRay
28th June 2020, 09:45 AM
MAF sensor cleaned and block and cooling system flushed.. still overheating 😔

BillsGU
28th June 2020, 01:26 PM
It may sound odd - but I would check that the AirCon fan and the main fan are spinning the correct way. I have seen mechanics replace the aircon fan and get the wires crossed over so the fan blew the wrong way. Don't know if the main fan will even bolt on the wrong way around - but it's amazing what some people can accomplish when they try hard!

With the engine warmed up so the fan hub is engaged and the aircon off, get someone to rev the engine while you stand in front of the car with a thin strip of paper. Hold it in front of the grill and the paper should be sucked in towards the radiator. Let the engine idle, turn on the aircon and hold the paper close to the front of the aircon fan and ensure the paper is sucked towards the fan.

It's an easy check and will cost you nothing.

ReggieRay
28th June 2020, 10:37 PM
thanks, will check soon
in the meantime, check engine light came on today, I got a p0401 code, egr valve fault.. what are the chances this is the cause of my overheating? should I do a delete and get a blocking plate?

mudski
29th June 2020, 08:26 AM
thanks, will check soon
in the meantime, check engine light came on today, I got a p0401 code, egr valve fault.. what are the chances this is the cause of my overheating? should I do a delete and get a blocking plate?

Just thinking about this. Firstly yes block the EGR. Second, your intake maybe be choked by carbon. This this. If it is, you would see higher temps I would think as the engine will be choking for air and therefor overfueling, which does equate to extra heat.

But its a big job to remove everything to find out. Not sure if you can get an inspection camera into the manifold or not to look. You've done everything else, pretty much. you have nothing to lose, and your engine will love you for it too.

Grant209
9th October 2020, 11:39 PM
I know it's a couple months old . . . but Been reading through this thread, and I'm having similar issues as ReggieRay.

I Blocked my EGR about a month ago, had heard and read about the possibility of higher Engine Temps after blocking the EGR . . .

While driving the 780klm out to my fathers place 2 weeks ago, a trip I had only done twice before in My New to Me 2013 Patrol 3Lt CRD Cab Chassis . . . got a High Temp warning between Mollyan and Coonabarabran, the temp hit 120c . . . pulled over the temp dropped back down to 92c . . . stayed around 90klm/h for the rest of the trip which'd kept the runing temp around 95 - 100c degrees the rest of the trip out and back to Sydney.

On return to Sydney, I have dropped the coolant in the system, ran water for 4 days and dropped it and replaced with green coolant solution and still got high temps.

Replaced the Viscosity Oil in the Fan Clutch last week . . . . still getting 90+ temps.

Swapped the Thermostat over today . . . and still getting 90+ temps around town.

Thinking the blocking of the EGR is my issue . . . not happy if it is, as the extra power is very much noticeable with the EGR Blocked, have confidence over taking trucks out west now where I didn't before . . . didn't have the up and go power with the EGR system working.

So ReggieRay . . . your High Engine Temps . . . may have been due to a Blanked EGR system . . .

Hodge
10th October 2020, 09:48 AM
Blocking the EGR raising motor temps. That's a new one to me.
Physically and theoretically, it should not happen. It doesn't make sense.
In actual fact it should be the other way around as the already HOT exhaust gas isn't shoved back into the system again. When I had my crd getting rid of the woeful egr setup helped the motor and egt temps ...

Zd30 crd overheating is rare to my knowledge.

If the motor is hitting those temps , there is a far bigger issue than the EGR I think . Have you checked the radiator,internally and externally ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Grant209
11th October 2020, 10:52 AM
Blocking the EGR raising motor temps. That's a new one to me.
Physically and theoretically, it should not happen. It doesn't make sense.
In actual fact it should be the other way around as the already HOT exhaust gas isn't shoved back into the system again. When I had my crd getting rid of the woeful egr setup helped the motor and egt temps ...

Zd30 crd overheating is rare to my knowledge.

If the motor is hitting those temps , there is a far bigger issue than the EGR I think . Have you checked the radiator,internally and externally ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hodge,

Yep I know what your talking about . . . in my head when I first looked at the EGR System concept 10 years ago, I thought Recirculating Exhaust Gas back into the Combustion Chamber would increase Combustion temperatures . . . seems logical to me given both My Musso Sports, D22 Navara and now my ZD30crd Patrol all have had EGR Cooling Chambers.

But when you read all the junk on the internet about the use of EGR Systems in Diesel Engines, the one thing that comes up over and over again, is that "The use of EGR is to suppress the combustion temperature and thus the formation of NOx [148] gases, especially Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) gas."

NOx Gases are produced as result of High Combustion Temperatures, and EGR Systems generally reduce OxyGen Levels in the Combustion Chamber thus reduce NOx Gases by reducing Combustion Temperatures.

Blank the EGR System, you allow more OxyGen in the Combustion Process, so High Combustion Temperatures, thus Higher Engine Temperatures.

I had made the same 740-780klm trip out to my Fathers 3 times this year in My New to Me 3Lt Patrol, first 2 trips out and back no Engine Temp issues, blank the EGR System and I start getting higher engine Temperatures.

As I stated above, I've replaced the Viscosity Oil in the Fan Clutch, Swapped the Thermostat over . . . and still getting 90+ temps around town.

After reading a 2013 Post about "Overheating 2010 GU Patrol (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14281-Overheating-2010-GU-Patrol)" by Goat, I'm getting My Radiator serviced on Thursday.

Goat had 70.000klm on his 2010 Patrol (I'v got 170K's) when he's engine started overheating, the result ended up being a badly blocked radiator, but for ReggieRay this is not the case, as ReggieRay he has a New Radiator and Thermostat . . . so unknown to ReggieRay . . . could a Blanked EGR System be his issue?

"Goat's" Radiator Blockage on inspection

If my Radiator comes out all good on it's service . . . and I still get High Engine Temp's . . . I'll look at Removing the EGR Blanking Plate to see if that solves my higher engine Temperature issue.

scandra
20th October 2020, 12:05 AM
welcome mate

poddy
8th April 2021, 10:08 PM
hi, I'm Reggie, I got a zd30 common rail 2007 overheating...

Hey mate, any news? How'd you go?

growler2058
9th April 2021, 10:00 AM
My old CRD overheating issues, were stuffed injectors. Even the slightest hill itd start the factory gauge heading north real fast

Grant209
13th April 2021, 09:17 AM
Well after replacing the Viscosity Oil in the Fan Clutch, replacing the Thermostat, having the Radiator serviced and new tanks fitted . . . . I still had heating issues.

My Issue ended up being the Water Pump.

Late October 2020, I pulled the water pump off, upon getting the Fan Off the water pump had No visual leaks from the weep hole, the pump once fully removed look serviceable! No visible damage!

After fitting new New Water Pump I've had no further Over Heating Issues since.

ReggieRay I hope you've had some joy with your vehicle Mate.

poddy
14th April 2021, 05:05 PM
I know it's hard to check without removal, but your water pump impeller may be corroded or even non-existent...

Is there actually a way to check the state of the prop without dismantling it?

PeeBee
15th April 2021, 06:04 AM
Go to Target, buy some red underpants and a blue cape, slick your hair back and take a teaspoon of Superman juice and you can look inside! Apart from that, no.