PDA

View Full Version : auto problem

ian59
2nd July 2011, 10:17 AM
hi all i am new to this thread i have a 3ltr turbo diesel automatic trans some times i have problems getting it out of park very frustrating.

YNOT
2nd July 2011, 10:38 AM
A bit more detail would make it easier to help you.

Two things come to mind.
1, Do you need to use the shift lock over ride button to get the shifter out of park? If there is a fault in the brake switch circuit the shift lock will not release. There may also be a fault in the shift lock solenoid.

2, Does the problem mainly occur when you park on hills? Does it take a lot of force to move the shifter out of park and when it does move does the car jolt? When you park an auto vehicle especially on hills you should always secure the vehicle with the handbrake FIRST then take your foot of the brake and let the handbrake take the weight. Only then should you shift the transmission into park. You don't want the parking pawl in the transmission to take the full weight of the vehicle when it is parked on a hill because it will make it difficult to get out of park. Let the handbrake do what it was designed to do.

Tony

Sretch
2nd July 2011, 10:52 AM
Also check to see that you don't have any blown brake lights as this can cause problems as well.

Cheers

Paul

ian59
5th July 2011, 09:45 AM
sorry about the little detail.it just won't come out of park i have to jiggle tha stick and put my foot on and off the brake.no it happens on the flat.sorry all the brake lights are ok.i haven't tried the shift lock overide button i will give it a go next time it happens.i don't force it out don't want to brake anything i just keep trying and putting foot on and off the brake.sorry about the delay in reply as i am travelling around and not always got service.thanks for your help ynot and sretch