PDA

View Full Version : GU front end clunk

Peggy
2nd June 2020, 10:10 PM
So my 98 GU had a bad clunking noise coming from the front end when in 4wd thought it was the CVs so though while I’m there will do a full front end rear build both sides finished all of that and still making the exact same noise sounds like it’s coming from under my feet thinking either front diff or tail shaft. The clunking starts as soon as I take off disappear for a few seconds comes back on and off please help me before it turns into fire wood 😂

pollenface
3rd June 2020, 10:01 AM
I'm thinking it could be a seized or stiff uni joint in the prop shaft. I had a similar sensation in another vehicle and that was the culprit.

PeeBee
3rd June 2020, 10:31 AM
Check your steering damper clamp bolts. I found I had a similar noise and they were moving a little bit on initial movement.

Peggy
3rd June 2020, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reply’s I’ll check them out after work see how I go

mudnut
3rd June 2020, 02:53 PM
Sounds silly, but check your handbrake is disengaging properly. Mine had the noise manifest itself in the front drivetrain for some weird reason.

Cuppa
4th June 2020, 10:04 AM
Does it make the clunk in response to road surface. I had a terrible clunk which was only obviously on *bad* corrugations, not mild ones. Felt it through ugh the floor like you. In my case the bushes on the driver side control arm had been destroyed. Hard to see, inside the chassis, but look for the bolted end of the control arm inside the chassis, & compare it to the passenger side. If that’s it you may be lucky & just be able to tighten it up!

Peggy
4th June 2020, 08:24 PM
Hey it’s definitely drive line related as it in crease and decreases with speed, changes the unis no change but I tested and it only happens when the hubs are actually locked in should have done that first I know haha, they are AVM HD free wheeling my next question do they require the “egg ring” if so there is none which could be causing the issue

mudski
5th June 2020, 08:30 AM
Hey it’s definitely drive line related as it in crease and decreases with speed, changes the unis no change but I tested and it only happens when the hubs are actually locked in should have done that first I know haha, they are AVM HD free wheeling my next question do they require the “egg ring” if so there is none which could be causing the issue

Try only locking one side at a time. Is it only under load or coasting etc etc? Are they genuine AVM hubs or the Chinee copies? I bought Chinee copies of the Genuine Nissan free wheeling hubs and they made terrible noises. I finally forked out the coin for the real deal ones and all noises went. And no I don't believe you require the egg ring for AVMs.

mudski
5th June 2020, 08:44 AM
Another thing to check is the diff ratio's. Make sure the back is the same as the front.

Peggy
5th June 2020, 09:13 AM
Yeah mate it’s only under load if I let off or put the clutch in it goes away, will test the one locked in at a time cheers

mudski
5th June 2020, 09:59 AM
Yeah mate it’s only under load if I let off or put the clutch in it goes away, will test the one locked in at a time cheers

Remove the Hub and see if the gears that mesh together when you lock the hubs are not slipping. This was the issue with the Chinee hubs I had. I could clearly see the wear marks from the teeth jumping.

Peggy
5th June 2020, 10:28 AM
So I tested it out and it only does it when both hubs are locked in, had the hubs off the other day couldn’t see anything to wrong with them, they hard a fair bit of play but I assumed that was normal but could be wrong

Peggy
5th June 2020, 10:30 AM
And if I’m accelerating hardish if I’m just cruising it’s fine

Peggy
5th June 2020, 10:32 AM
And they are marked AVM made in Brazil so assume they are legit

mudski
5th June 2020, 10:33 AM
Have you got any other hubs you can access to swap over to try. Just thinking unless you have a front locker one hub open wont work as a test.

Peggy
5th June 2020, 11:28 AM
Nah mate might just bite the bullet and buy some new ones, sick of the stupid torx heads on the AVM ones anyway haha and if that doesn’t fix it I’ll pull the diff out

Cuppa
7th June 2020, 03:58 PM

I guess if you know there is no egg ring you've had the hubs apart ...... so did the clunking start before or after you had them apart. My car had no egg rings in it when I got it (standard manual hubs) & I was strongly advised to put them in, which I did. Without them there is room for movement, which may or may not be causing your clunk. It didn't in mine, biut I think I was just lucky & that it was only a matter of time before a problem arose. If I were you I'd buy some & fit them. Won't be a huge expense & it may fix your problem. Even if it doesn't you'll have had a good look at your hubs & know they are not a problem waiting to happen.

Ah just read you've had them apart & have some play in them .... it's possible the egg rings will take up the play.

mudski
7th June 2020, 07:46 PM
I guess if you know there is no egg ring you've had the hubs apart ...... so did the clunking start before or after you had them apart. My car had no egg rings in it when I got it (standard manual hubs) & I was strongly advised to put them in, which I did. Without them there is room for movement, which may or may not be causing your clunk. It didn't in mine, biut I think I was just lucky & that it was only a matter of time before a problem arose. If I were you I'd buy some & fit them. Won't be a huge expense & it may fix your problem. Even if it doesn't you'll have had a good look at your hubs & know they are not a problem waiting to happen.

Ah just read you've had them apart & have some play in them .... it's possible the egg rings will take up the play.

He’s running AVM hubs mate. They don’t use the egg ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
7th June 2020, 08:20 PM
He’s running AVM hubs mate. They don’t use the egg ring.

Aha, that's probably why he said they were missing then. :)

I always thought they were pretty much a straight copy of the OE hubs.

mudski
9th June 2020, 08:09 AM
Aha, that's probably why he said they were missing then. :)

I always thought they were pretty much a straight copy of the OE hubs.

They are a two piece design. Full auto hubs converted to manual are better than AVM hubs.

Peggy
23rd June 2020, 02:09 PM
Well put another set of manual locking hubs on with the spacer and egg ring still the same noise

Peggy
23rd June 2020, 03:03 PM
Read around and sounds like it might be the transfer case chain slipping could and one shed some light on this ? From what I have read they say it takes a lot of power to stretch it and being LS swapped it could well have stretched it

mudski
23rd June 2020, 04:21 PM
Read around and sounds like it might be the transfer case chain slipping could and one shed some light on this ? From what I have read they say it takes a lot of power to stretch it and being LS swapped it could well have stretched it

Never heard of that, but theres a first time for everything..

mudski
23rd June 2020, 04:22 PM
You've remove the front tail shaft and checked the Uni's?

PeeBee
23rd June 2020, 04:31 PM

Maybe its how you read it, however a chain cannot slip, even if its stretched. It will either jump a tooth or just clank around until it flies off the sprocket. If anything it would be the sprocket that gets wear in the tooth form, and the chain 'might stretch a little', but I would if there is a chain tensioner of sorts it would take that up. If its loose then the slack side is where you would see the noise being generated, or if really loose it would be jumping a cog, however I would think by that stage it would be making a constant noise.

mudnut
23rd June 2020, 04:35 PM
I've had two transfer cases on my patrol as a result of having to change out the gearbox. Both have had a Transfer Chain that makes a terrible racket, when engine braking.

Peggy
23rd June 2020, 05:05 PM
Yeah mate replaced the unis.
Yeah jumping a tooth is what I meant, the sound is like something skipping, that’s why I thought cvs hubs or diff but neither of them haven’t taken the diff out to inspect it but there wasn’t any metal shards when I dropped the diff oil.
Also done the transfer case oil about 300kms ago checked it today and it’s already black and smells

PeeBee
23rd June 2020, 05:09 PM
I have done a tooth in a diff and you certainly know something is wrong, pretty quick. The baffling bit is your comment now about the oil in the transfer case. There isn't anything inside there to discolour the oil I dont think

mudnut
23rd June 2020, 05:12 PM
First I've heard of black Transfer case oil. Have a look in the owners manual and see what is required. Some models use Autotrans fluid, and some use Gear oil.

PeeBee
23rd June 2020, 05:17 PM
I wonder if there has been MOLYBOND added in a previous fill or service and this is carry over to fresh oil, assuming it was fresh oil change?

Peggy
23rd June 2020, 05:20 PM
Yeah I put the red dexton III so very confused how it’s now black after a few hundred kms

mudski
23rd June 2020, 05:24 PM
You are fine to use 80/90 gear oil in the transfer case if you have manual hubs. Auto hubs need ATF to be used. Somethings definitely amiss though if the oil is black already.

Peggy
23rd June 2020, 05:25 PM
Well I used the ATF and it has manual locking hubs but surely that wouldn’t be causing this would it ?

mudnut
23rd June 2020, 05:26 PM
You are fine to use 80/90 gear oil in the transfer case if you have manual hubs. Auto hubs need ATF to be used. Somethings definitely amiss though if the oil is black already.

Yes and no. Mine was issued with Manual hubs but requires ATF.

Wasn't it something to do with the front driveline turning while the oil was cold?

mudski
23rd June 2020, 05:29 PM
Yes and no. Mine was issued with Manual hubs but requires ATF.

Wasn't it something to do with the front driveline turning while the oil was cold?

Strange. ATf was only used because of the lower viscosity, and thicker oils were tricking the auto hubs into thinking the transfer case was in 4wd.

mudnut
23rd June 2020, 05:37 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?47317-ATF-in-transfer-case&highlight=transfer+case

A bit of deja vu. The link to the other forum gives a good explanation about ATF too.

Peggy
23rd June 2020, 08:07 PM
Jacked it up and rear tail shaft off doesn’t make the noise so only happens underload