PDA

View Full Version : Brake Rotors & Pads

shakey55
22nd May 2020, 04:54 PM
I have a 2005 4.2td patrol wagon. I need to replace my rear brake rotors and while I’m at it, I’m going to replace the front.

I’ve done some reading and with all this business about drilled, not drilled, slotted, not slotted, dimpled etc, it’s doing my head in.

I get to the outback every couple of years, I tow a fairly heavy camper trailer and regularly during the warmer months I tow my 5 metre fibreglass boat.

Can someone with more knowledge in this area tell me what I should be buying.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shakey55
23rd May 2020, 01:44 PM
What are the experts thoughts on these rotors and brake pads

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/117.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
23rd May 2020, 08:29 PM
RDA Slotted & dimpled are what I use on the front of my 06 TD42 ute, along with EBC pads, previously greenstuff series 6000 which I replaced at around 60,000kms (with a bit more life left in them, but it suited me to change when I did, now yellowstuff). At least a 3rd of that mileage was towing in ofyen very dusty outback conditions. It is advised to get the discs skimmed when replacing pads, but my discs were in very good condition, no scoring or grooving, & the place where I was did not have the right gear for skimming dimpled or drilled disks, so instead just used some emery on them lightly. The new pads have now a few thousand kms & I'm happy with them & the discs. I'd put'em on the back too if I didn't have drums. Far better performance than standard. Wear well, & importantly for towing, far more heat resistant when being 'pushed' down long hills (No fade). Not cheap, but I doubt you'd do better. One day I might put braided hoses on, but have been saying that since I first put the RDA/EBC combo on, & haven't felt that it is really necessary.

jack put them on all 4 corners of his wagon (tows an off road van heavier than ours) & has been happy with them too.

jack
23rd May 2020, 09:02 PM
Like Cuppa said, I've fitted them and taken my (2,000kg plus) van on some pretty extreme trips. Couldn't fault them and happy to recommend them.
I didn't think the original brakes were to bad until I upgraded, like chalk and cheese. Not cheap, but certainly worth it in my opinion.

Avo
24th May 2020, 12:26 AM
What are the experts thoughts on these rotors and brake pads

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/117.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCheck out racebrakes Sydney
I was put onto them in WA
Great service,give him.a ring also knows his stuff

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk