PDA

View Full Version : Air Ducting

lliw180
19th May 2020, 11:17 PM
Hey guys this is a follow on form my last post. I am a new GQ owner and i have had a few problems and im some what sure that a vac leek is the root cause of them as you will see from the pics mine is missing the stock part called air ducting. Affter calling Nissan and 6 wreckers i have come to the concultion my only real option is to make something or adapt something. option 1 would be get a pice of the 45 bend intercooler piping from autobarn or somewhere and put 2 of thoses things for the airlines OR i see on ebay you can by that bit for a gu and im a sure ISH it would work. My GQ is going to see a machenic thursday i will check that this is the problem but i would be sure it is. When I plugged the hole it seamed to run better. And when i removed the plug eg my finger is whisteld. In a way i would like to make something i will keep you posted see pics bellow. any tips comments or problems i have missed please do tell

lliw180
19th May 2020, 11:18 PM
the way it is now 81095

lliw180
19th May 2020, 11:19 PM
the disconted hose port to the plenum81096

lliw180
19th May 2020, 11:20 PM
this is a pic from the work shop manual with the bit im trying to replce 81097

PeeBee
20th May 2020, 04:04 AM
looks pretty close to a 45 deg tube bend - you could contact Geordie stainless in Melb - buy a grade 304 elbow, probably cost you $20 plus shipping then go from there with silicone sleeves and hose clamps.

mudski
20th May 2020, 08:10 AM
Im confused on which part you are talking about. The dodgy bit of air intake hose from the air box, or the bit with the duct tape around it.

PeeBee
20th May 2020, 09:36 AM
Im confused on which part you are talking about. The dodgy bit of air intake hose from the air box, or the bit with the duct tape around it.

Good point. I only addressed the air inlet

mudnut
20th May 2020, 10:55 AM
It has been butchered. Has someone got a couple of pics of a standard TB42 E engine bay. I've had a quick search but can't find any.

lliw180
20th May 2020, 01:04 PM
im talking about the part called air duct the black 45 platic bit yes the last owner made a mess of it and i want to put it rite

mudski
20th May 2020, 01:46 PM
im talking about the part called air duct the black 45 platic bit yes the last owner made a mess of it and i want to put it rite

So what has this part got to do with the intake duct? Does it join into said duct or something?

the disconted hose port to the plenum81096

0-TJ-0
20th May 2020, 07:34 PM
So what has this part got to do with the intake duct? Does it join into said duct or something?

I had a bit of a google and looks like there's a cold start feature that can be deleted that has pipes and sht going everywhere.

I'm betting it's all related to that.

MudRunnerTD
21st May 2020, 10:09 AM

Sorry mate i am still a little confused to be honest. I assume you are talking about the part that is clearly labeled "Air Flow Duct Silencer"?? Is that right? If this is correct then i think it is simply a baffle and of no consequence. If that is true then i would dump all that ducting you have and use Intercooler ducting as you suggested. 100%.

Can someone confirm please that that silencer is simply a baffle and not required. May be for Anti Pollution gear in the day.

MudRunnerTD
21st May 2020, 10:11 AM
the way it is now 81095

For a start i would be cutting that blue flexy hose much much shorter mate. all that extra hose has just cramped it up and caused the severe angle and restriction there..... Or ... Loose the black hose completely.

mudnut
21st May 2020, 11:17 PM
Have a squiz at the workshop manuals you can download on this forum. There are some simple diagrams for the vacuum hoses and brakes to give you an idea of what to do.

mudski
22nd May 2020, 08:19 AM
Sorry mate i am still a little confused to be honest. I assume you are talking about the part that is clearly labeled "Air Flow Duct Silencer"?? Is that right? If this is correct then i think it is simply a baffle and of no consequence. If that is true then i would dump all that ducting you have and use Intercooler ducting as you suggested. 100%.

Can someone confirm please that that silencer is simply a baffle and not required. May be for Anti Pollution gear in the day.

I reckon it is Darren. But, I wouldn't be removing the entire lot from the air box. I would leave the OEM duct there, from the air box, then retro fit up a silicone hose and joiner, purely for the flex of the OEM duct, the twist of the engine when under load and high revving may put stress on the piping. Might not too as most of our TD's are semi solid fit ups, but he's got it there so why not use it.
Or change the lot to a purpose made flex duct. We sell this kind of gear at work, among all the other stuff, do it day in day out...

lliw180
23rd May 2020, 02:10 AM
that silver pipe thing with the barb was contected to nothing just air going in