PDA

View Full Version : Overfilled oil in CRD ZD30?

26PSI
16th May 2020, 12:24 PM
Been chasing a few issues lately and found an excessive amount of blowby.
Fitted a catch can yesterday and decided to check the oil level. (car is a weekender and have barely put 2000kms since I got it serviced)
Level looked extremely high, drained over 12.5ltrs out of it?
I realise that is well above the 8.2lts recommended, is there any other possible reason for this, besides the mechanic?

Fireblade
16th May 2020, 05:25 PM
If you got out more oil than should have been in there then that’s the mechanics fault I think. Don’t see how the level would be ok in the shop and get higher unless another fluid is making its way into the engine oil like coolant but you would tell by the milky look if it was water.

26PSI
16th May 2020, 06:24 PM
The oil was not the best, thin and frothy, not milky at all. Filter cartridge was loose inside housing, not seated, smaller than the new one.
Not going back to that shop again. Thanks mate.

mudnut
16th May 2020, 08:05 PM
Did it small strongly of diesel?

26PSI
17th May 2020, 08:08 AM
It did smell a lot more than the new oil, sweeter, if that makes sense?
where could the fuel be mixing with the oil?

nipagu7
17th May 2020, 09:56 AM
there is supposed to be a black plastic piece that holds the filter in the filter housing . if it has the wrong filter in it the plastic piece might be missing , it needs to be there . the missing piece and/or maybe the high oil level might be the cause of the frothy oil ,most likely the high oil level . but some diesels can leak diesel into the engine oil , though i have never heard of this with a zd30 . when i change my oil it can be hard to see the new clean oil on the dip stick so some might be tempted to keep adding oil ( an apprentice , trade assistant or mechanic not experianced in patrols ) . thin oil ? the specified oil is 5w30 , i would stick with this unless you have a reason to change - heavy towing or high mileage wear on the engine .

26PSI
18th May 2020, 06:53 PM
All the info I have seen, pointed me at 10w40. Which I used.
I jacked the chasis up to drain all of the oil out of the sump. The black plastic piece was missing, might have to track one down at the wreckers, although the new filter sat in quite well.
Test fitted the filter and struggled to get it out, without a tool. Thanks for the advice.

Fireblade
19th May 2020, 09:20 AM
10w40 is what i use never heard of 5w30 in a crd. i know heaps that run 15w40 no problems either
like i said i run the castrol magnatec 10w40 usually you can get 5litres 40-50% off at super cheap auto and it makes them about $23 a bottle i buy it whenever its that price can never have too much oil especially when my other 4wd uses that oil to.

i was told that you can get the black cap on ebay for about $60 but ive never found it.

mudski
19th May 2020, 01:55 PM
Patrol a part sell the plastic bit.
https://patrolapart.com.au/product/oil-filter-housing-zd30-sh
and
https://patrolapart.com.au/product/nissan-patrol-gu-y61-zd30-oil-filter-housing-spigot

I always used Castrol Magnatec in my "grenade". Changed every 5k on the dot.

Fireblade
19th May 2020, 03:48 PM
nice i had no idea patrolapart had them, feels like they're getting more and more everyday always shocked by what they sell.
good stuff

26PSI
19th May 2020, 05:20 PM
used penrite 10w40 semi synth.
will grab one of those of patrolapart, thanks for the link.

mudski
19th May 2020, 09:07 PM
nice i had no idea patrolapart had them, feels like they're getting more and more everyday always shocked by what they sell.
good stuff

Yeah I had one scanned and ready to make on a 3D printer but then saw these for sale and lost interest after that.

26PSI
25th May 2020, 07:25 PM
Update
Went for a wheel today and had to use a bit of right boot, fair bit more than I should have. Quick once over, and noticed a bit of liquid around the sump. Nothing to serious. Drove home, constantly checking temp, and scan gauge, no issues.
Checked under at home, lots of liquid. Thought I had done a rear seal. Checked under the engine cover and the 3rd injector, well?, was almost full of diesel.
Can diesel leak through the rocker cover into the oil from above, faulty fuel line?
Or, is my injector fucked?

mudski
25th May 2020, 09:36 PM
Definitely diesel? The injectors go through the rocker cover and have a seal. These will leak and engine oil will come out from the rocker cover and through this seal. If its fuel. It could be just the injector pipe. As the CRD's run high fuel pressures it just could be a dodgy fuel pipe. Nip up the nuts on the lines and see how it goes.

26PSI
26th May 2020, 06:52 AM
Yeah, definitely diesel. I had a mechanic do the rocker cover gasket, maybe he damaged the line/connection. Will check it out this arvo.

mudski
26th May 2020, 08:09 AM
Yeah, definitely diesel. I had a mechanic do the rocker cover gasket, maybe he damaged the line/connection. Will check it out this arvo.

righto. run a spanner over the injector lines, might just need a nip up. Your running circa 30thou psi through those lines, these are supposed to be changed when new injectors are installed.

26PSI
26th May 2020, 08:38 PM
Checked the fuel line, gave it 30nm and it didn't really move.
cleaned the well, took the car for a drive, not really any leaks.
Did a back leak test, dodgy brothers style. All injectors looked even.
Might pull the intercooler off tomorrow and nip up the rest of the fuel lines, clean around the rail and have a better look at everything.
Fuel rail pressure is maxing at 23000 psi, 5000 at idle. Not throwing any codes. Driving fine.

26PSI
27th May 2020, 09:32 AM
Fuel rail connection could be tightened on 3rd line and supply line.
Will check again this arvo. Thanks for the help.