PDA

View Full Version : Engine battery advise

Fireblade
13th May 2020, 11:51 AM
hi all
i have a question not about my patrol but my 1999 triton 3L petrol
it has a battery 55d23r 550cca
my question is it ok to put a bigger battery in a car if it fits?
could i put in a nz70 for example.
or will the higher cca and ah cause a problem?
thanks

PeeBee
13th May 2020, 12:23 PM
The starter will only draw what it needs. A higher crank capability battery will not affect the car at all. You will simply get greater reserve capacity and also a better chance of starting if the battery does get discharged assuming it is starting ok with the 550cca. ie 700cca - 550cca = greater margin for certainty. Go for it.

Fireblade
13th May 2020, 12:55 PM
thanks, it seems that during the cold weather it is slow/weak cranking but starts great with a jump pack.
i know the battery is in need of replacing but want a slight upgrade
also i though there would be an advantage of a larger capacity battery being that when i leave it sitting for a few weeks it wont be as flat as a small capacity battery.
the current battery is 60ah say that goes flat in a month then if i were to go 80 i might get another week out of it.

PeeBee
13th May 2020, 03:18 PM
For your application with a cranking requirement, don't take any notice of the A/HR rating - this is for a constant slow discharge rate only, not for high current demand such as starter motor draw-down. There are mislaeading designations on batteries with both ratings, but unless it is a 'true hybrid', its nonsense. Focus on CCA and reserve capacity for cranking/winching and A/Hr for fridges/camping /inverter stuff.

Mickhead
13th May 2020, 05:40 PM
And buy it from Bunnings