PDA

View Full Version : Howdy! EGT/Boost Questions

smjcbs
7th May 2020, 10:20 PM
Hey guys new to the forum and fairly new to patrols.
a couple of months ago I bought myself a 03 Wagon TD42TI with 225,000 clicks. It was bone stock engine wise so I have recently installed my new hpd top mount intercooler to replace the standard one,
in the process i deleted the egr and cleaned out the intake manifold and installed boost/egr guages. It already had a 3” exhaust.
First question:
Peak boost is about 13psi with no boost controller or anything. Is that normal for a standard td42ti with my set up?
Second question:
EGTs creep up to 450-500 when on the highway going uphill/headwind etc. what can i do to help this?
Does she just need a good tune? Whats the best way to make a bit more reliable power while keeping things cool and safe?
Any input is appreciated, Cheers ����

0-TJ-0
7th May 2020, 11:00 PM
Close enough. Welcome mate.

Dhuck
8th May 2020, 07:04 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

mudski
8th May 2020, 08:23 AM
13psi sounds about right. Take it to a reputable diesel tuner and see what they can do. Which wont be a hell of a lot with a stock TD, but they should be able to make it better.

SafariCanada
8th May 2020, 01:36 PM
Right on! Welcome from Canada. I'm around 13 psi too.

Cuppa
8th May 2020, 08:50 PM
My '06 TD42i had about 7psi max boost as stock. After fitting a 3" exhaust & a manual boost controller I took it to an experienced dynotuner who was very familiar with these motors & aske him to tune it for towing. I got an increase to 13.2psi max boost & far more stable & controllable EGT figures. I can get it up to the sort of temps you are seeing, in the circumstances you describe , but I have to try. Mostly EGT's sit at between 250 & 350 deg.C Before the dyno just the sight of a hill was enough to push them up 550-600 & the rise was very rapid. I'm happy to stick with the max boost I have, still having the factory crimped intercooler.