PDA

View Full Version : Fridge slide in back seat area

Sights
23rd March 2020, 08:33 PM
Wondering if anyone has done this before.
Ripping out the seats, making a flat floor.
It would mean, of course, being able to extend the distance the rear passenger doors open - if it is possible.

Has anyone out there done this, and could give some advise? :)

Mc4by
23rd March 2020, 10:36 PM
If I remember correctly, 3dogs has done something similar.

threedogs
24th March 2020, 01:05 PM
Hi ,I removed to seat behind the driver and made a flat platform so my Engel 40ltr
will be secure via an engel transit base. Easy as to access, I have spare hinged so the lid would open
from the side rathe than the end, Ill get around to it he he he
well worth it imho

Sights
25th March 2020, 09:16 AM
Hi ,I removed to seat behind the driver and made a flat platform so my Engel 40ltr
will be secure via an engel transit base. Easy as to access, I have spare hinged so the lid would open
from the side rathe than the end, Ill get around to it he he he
well worth it imho

Yeah, Maddog, it seems to me that this is the better option, if only I can get the passenger doors wide enough.

Benefits - heavy fridge is closer to centre of gravity, better weight distribution, and easier access - especially for my beautiful 5' 2" wife. :cool:

pollenface
25th March 2020, 10:25 AM
You could have a rope tied to the other end of the fridge and secured somewhere inside the vehicle. When you open the rear door and pull the fridge outward it can only go "so far" so it half hangs out the door. When you're done, simply push it back in. Done deal.

Sights
30th March 2020, 07:00 AM
:oops: My sincere apologies threedogs.
Just going over the replies to my post and realised that I had called you "Maddog" in error. :redface:
He had responded to me on another post and was still fresh in my mind - I guess.
I'm over 70, and things in memory tend to start flying around a bit, and sometimes you reach out and grab the wrong one. :confused:
if you haven't experienced it yet - it's coming :D

Sights
30th March 2020, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the response pollenface, but my issue is the height of the fridge when it is in the back.
Another benefit is the better weight distribution, and the extra room I could have there if I could get the fridge in the back seat area.
With a capable fridge slide, how far it comes out is not an issue for me.

Best regards
Sights :D

shakey55
30th March 2020, 07:19 AM
A few years back I went to the Cape with several mates. I took both passenger seats out and put two 40 litre Engels in their place. One used as fridge, the other as freezer.

I used pieces of 4 x 2 to level up and secured fridges with tie downs.

Worked a treat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk