PDA

View Full Version : Ring Gear. To flip or not to flip.

mudnut
20th March 2020, 12:50 PM
G'day, All. I have obtained a secondhand flywheel for the RB30 but the ring gear is a little chewed up. I haven't found a new one anywhere. And Nissan don't stock them. The engine mob who I might get to machine the flywheel said they could flip the ring gear, but is it a good solution, or not?

mudski
20th March 2020, 01:17 PM
not unheard of to do it. I remember flipping the ring gear on my old 308, and 350 in my Panelvans back in the day.
They are still available though genuine. Should be circa $160 with freight to you.

mudnut
20th March 2020, 03:40 PM
not unheard of to do it. I remember flipping the ring gear on my old 308, and 350 in my Panelvans back in the day.
They are still available though genuine. Should be circa $160 with freight to you.

Sorry to be spoon fed, Mark, but where from? The local Nissan dealer say they haven't got a listing for it. Patrolapart say no. Internet thingy says no.

mudski
20th March 2020, 03:58 PM
Sorry to be spoon fed, Mark, but where from? The local Nissan dealer say they haven't got a listing for it. Patrolapart say no. Internet thingy says no.

No probs mate.

Then put the part number into here....
https://www.amayama.com/en
As this mob is based in Sydney...
If you PM your VIN I can double check the part number but as far as I know, or would think, all RB30 ring gears would be the same. Did Nissan give you a part number when you asked them?

mudnut
20th March 2020, 07:14 PM
Onya, Mark. No part number listed. I'll have a go at getting one, cheers.

mudski
21st March 2020, 12:32 AM
Onya, Mark. No part number listed. I'll have a go at getting one, cheers.

Shoot me your VIN Craig. I have the Nissan Parts program on my laptop. I can look into this for you if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dagwill
22nd March 2020, 04:51 PM
Hi I had a worn ring gear on an MGB years ago. It was beveled on one side only so could not flip. However the main wear was in two opposite sections. I put the whole thing in the fridge for a day, got everything ready. Then took it out , hit the ring gear with a lpg gas torch and it dropped of [ dont forget to mark it first with a punch, before even putting in fridge ] , turned the ring gear 1/4 turn and while the flywheel is still cold keep heat up to ring and drop it back on, give a few taps with hammer for good luck.