PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Corrosion inhibitors

PeeBee
25th February 2020, 05:16 PM
After seeing the corrosion on Nhoward vehicle and knowing that I am setting my vehicle up as a keeper, I am wondering about peoples experiences with the installation of electronic rust preventers or corrosion control devices. Some use a sacrificial anode, others induce a charge into the body - who has used one, what were your results, impressions and recommendations? I don't expect to see a lot of salt driving, however the truck is being set up for some extended travels, so beaches are a certainty.

jack
25th February 2020, 05:52 PM
It’s been covered a few times over the years, here’s a link to one thread but there are several others:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?36591-Electronic-Rust-Prevention-banned-from-sale-in-WA&highlight=rust+protection

04OFF
26th February 2020, 10:59 PM
From my own personal experience, after cutting fist size rust holes from my sills, mine went straight in the bin, a peter brock crystal polarizer would have been a better investment :o

mudski
27th February 2020, 07:48 AM
From my own personal experience, after cutting fist size rust holes from my sills, mine went straight in the bin, a peter brock crystal polarizer would have been a better investment :o

Certainly would be now since Holden got axed.

PeeBee
27th February 2020, 06:22 PM

Can you recall what the brand and system employed to 'protect' the vehicle?

mudnut
27th February 2020, 07:12 PM
The systems only work when there is moisture present, anyway.

04OFF
28th February 2020, 12:33 AM
Can you recall what the brand and system employed to 'protect' the vehicle?

Sorry man, waaaaayy too much other life episodes and many many beers ago for me to remember, but pretty much insert any brand name, and ill bet my lefty it will be just as "good".

Cuppa
28th February 2020, 09:01 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28342-Electronic-rust-protection-is-it-a-scam

PeeBee
28th February 2020, 09:17 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28342-Electronic-rust-protection-is-it-a-scam

Thanks Cuppa, the "Colin" article is of value as it shows a time based result and some real conclusions. I was thinking a sacrificial anode style device is what I am looking towards, however further investigation has steered me away totally from this form of corrosion reduction - simply does not stack up from the 'science perspective'..

Brissieboy
28th February 2020, 11:54 AM
I was thinking a sacrificial anode style device is what I am looking towards, however further investigation has steered me away totally from this form of corrosion reduction - simply does not stack up from the 'science perspective'..
Sacrificial anode protection will only work if the items (both the anode and the item being protected) are immersed in an electrolyte of some sort, so useless in this situation - unless you are thinking of drowning the beast in the ocean of course.

the evil twin
28th February 2020, 01:50 PM
Wot he said X2 ^^^^

FWIW...

One type of cathodic protection system is the sacrificial anode. The anode is made from a metal alloy with a more "active" voltage (more negative electrochemical potential) than the metal of the structure it is protecting (the cathode). The difference in potential between the two metals means the sacrificial anode material corrodes in preference to the structure.

There must be two other conditions existing besides the anode and the cathode for the sacrificial anode method to work. There must be a return current path for the electrons to flow from the anode to the material it is protecting (being in physical contact is the usual path) and an electrolyte (water, humidity) to convey the electrons.

Ben-e-boy
28th February 2020, 05:00 PM
I had a couplertec on my gq when I bought it. That particular brand is not a cathodic type device like everything else mentioned in this thread. It does rely heavily on good continuity on every panel/anything that bolts together to function properly.

PeeBee
28th February 2020, 05:51 PM
I had a couplertec on my gq when I bought it. That particular brand is not a cathodic type device like everything else mentioned in this thread. It does rely heavily on good continuity on every panel/anything that bolts together to function properly.

I can see that being a practical problem, however my patrol is covered in earth straps to provide a good earth plane for the HF radio. Whether that is enough to assist would remain to be seen. How did you think the system performed - were you able to detect rust formation or not? Would you recommend it?

Ben-e-boy
28th February 2020, 08:12 PM
I can see that being a practical problem, however my patrol is covered in earth straps to provide a good earth plane for the HF radio. Whether that is enough to assist would remain to be seen. How did you think the system performed - were you able to detect rust formation or not? Would you recommend it?

I removed it because it wasn't getting driven enough and would either flatten the battery or the battery was disconnected for months on end. There was not any rust on it. There is some rust on the chassis now its been disconnected for 5 years