View Full Version : clutch pedal fade sitting at lights

crash520
24th June 2011, 10:40 PM
Howdy all.
I have a 99 GU ST 4.2TD, it has been running great until this morning! I left the house no problems, pulled up at a set of lights in 2nd with foot on clutch, then after a short time i tried to select 1st but had issues getting it into gear, eventually did it and noticed the clutch only came off the floor a small amount before it engaged. Then, later at a set of lights i pulled up put it in first adn was waiting for the lights to turn and the ute wanted to move forward as the clutch was slowly engaging and nor could i pull it out of gear so i had to turn off the car etc. now, driving around town from gear to gear the pedal feels great and no issues changing gears, its only when i pull up with my foot held on teh clutch it turns to crap.
so, my question is, is it the master cylinder leaking back past the piston or something to do with the booster? there are no leaks anywhere at the master cylinder, none at the slave cylinder.
any idea's gents???
Greg

YNOT
24th June 2011, 10:45 PM
If the problem was the booster the pedal would get heavy but the clutch would still work.
Your problem will be fluid leaking around the piston in either the master or slave cylinders.

Tony

patch697
24th June 2011, 10:46 PM
If the problem was the booster the pedal would get heavy but the clutch would still work.
Your problem will be fluid leaking around the piston in either the master or slave cylinders.

Tony

^^^^^^^^ x2

crash520
24th June 2011, 10:55 PM
thanks Tony, my thoughts exactly, i just want to check with the greater people, i figure its in the master cyl as the slave is not leaking and if the fluid push's past the master cyl piston it will only go back into the res etc.

patch697
24th June 2011, 10:57 PM
thanks Tony, my thoughts exactly, i just want to check with the greater people, i figure its in the master cyl as the slave is not leaking and if the fluid push's past the master cyl piston it will only go back into the res etc.

If your not loosing fluid then I would agree............... A new master will set you back around $130 Trade