PDA

View Full Version : Car fridges ok to leave off for long periods?

AB
23rd June 2011, 07:44 PM
Engels, Waeco, fridge mate's, etc...

Are they ok to let stand for many months or do they need to keep running?

I have heard mixed reviews with friends and on the net. I am getting a fridge soon and would most likely eventually only use it once or twice a quater so just checking if It's ok to turn off for a couple of months each time or do they prefer to be continually running?

My GQ is not my daily driver so I can't leave it on all the time.

patch697
23rd June 2011, 08:02 PM
Well old mate im gonna say no cos Dad's was fine & never missed a beat right until he left it sit for about 6 to 8 months & yep you guessed it.... It was a no go & the word was to expensive to fix so it was start again for him.

snicko
23rd June 2011, 08:05 PM
I heard as its a fridge it needs to be running all the time. We have one in the truck hooked up to the solar panel and the other is on in the house as the "beer fridge" and always has beer in it no matter how many hubby drinks!!!!!

AB
23rd June 2011, 08:15 PM
Sounds ok to me...Good excuse to have another source of blizzardly cold beer around the house...lol

Maxhead
23rd June 2011, 08:18 PM
My engel only gets used half a dozen times a year and I don't use it during winter at all. Hasn't missed a beat yet and produces teeth chattering results..LOL
but I'm certainly not an expert mate

Woof
23rd June 2011, 08:23 PM
I leave mine off when I'm not using it, just put a towel over the side to stop mould growing in it due to condensation buildup....no issues yet.

AB
23rd June 2011, 08:23 PM
Cheers Kris, thats good to hear!!!

AB
23rd June 2011, 08:24 PM
I leave mine off when I'm not using it, just put a towel over the side to stop mould growing in it due to condensation buildup....no issues yet.

Cheers Doggy, I would prefer not to have it running 24/7...I have 2 fridges and a 1920's deep freezer so need to cut back on the electricity usage...LMAO

DX grunt
23rd June 2011, 09:11 PM
Engels, Waeco, fridge mate's, etc...

Are they ok to let stand for many months or do they need to keep running?

My fridge runs a couple of times a month. If you put vee bee in yours, you'll kill it in 2 days. lol

AB
23rd June 2011, 09:16 PM
My fridge runs a couple of times a month. If you put vee bee in yours, you'll kill it in 2 days. lol

I don't drink vb anymore...lol...you guys will never let that go!

patch697
23rd June 2011, 09:33 PM
writtenandauthorisedbyplasnartastrueandcorrecthowe vernoresponsibilitytakenforblownfridgesasaresultof followingthisadvice

hahahaha........... Plassy thats better than brain trainer on DS.............lol

Dark 1
23rd June 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm no expert neither but we have two engels [1 used as fridge, 1 used as freezer] that get used for 1 big trip every year. The 1 used as fridge gets used for weekend & day trip runs & until now never had a problem but 2 weeks on a 3 day trip it started playing up, fridge repair man says the whole thing needs to be replaced. [lucky still under warranty....just]
So i don't know he said no ryme or reason to why mine failed but did suggest i alternate the use of both fridges & try not to leave them unused for more than 3months.

the ferret
23rd June 2011, 11:18 PM
Hey Andy, I have a 60L Engel, 30 years old, get's used about every 3 years or so, kick it in the guts and away she goes, it lives in the workshop and gets covered in dust, people sit on it.
Can't see a problem with it sitting for a while, mind you, it is an Engel!

DX grunt
24th June 2011, 12:52 AM
I don't drink vb anymore...lol...you guys will never let that go!

Exactly. Just like my truck washing photo appears occasionally. LMAO!!!!