PDA

View Full Version : electronic ignition probs 92 nissan patrol petrol auto wagon,

Tonyt
22nd June 2011, 02:57 PM
Gidday all, just spent a k on this , 3 different electricians, and Racv, racv put a new electronic ignition in drove home was running but seemed to be like a flat spot now and again, anyway next morning no start,, any ideas,, thanks Tonyt

patch697
22nd June 2011, 03:10 PM
Sorry mate but you will need to provide a bit more info about your problem than that if you want us to help.

Fore example: How did the problem start in the first place & what exactly has been done so far to rectify it & in as much detail as you can. Being a forum we don't get the hands on to help diagnose your problem so we rely on your input to help us help you to resolve your issues as best we can.

Edit: It also would help if we new what model Patrol you have as well.

Tonyt
26th June 2011, 11:35 AM
Hi all sorry bout that, My name is Tony I have A 1992 GQ petrol 4x4 wagon, Original Prob ,1, went to strt it and kept stalling, when I held the key on just a little it ran, so thats how I drove home, holding the key on just a tad, a two weeks later Auto Elec, had fixed the prob , drove 4km, and it died again, b back to Auto Elect, two weeks we have fixed the prob, drove 5km, and again stopped, ( in the interim, I have had the Ignition replaced,) I checked all wiring points and Tightened up a lot of them, and it ran,Drove 150km, and it wouldn't start again, RACV came said it was the electronic Ignition, so they replaced it, picked it up, it drove ok, about 90km started to run a bit ruff, nothing changed on gauges, and arrived home, next morning no start, I checked the leads, and the wires to the coil were loose , i went to tighten them and found the coil was leaking,and hot,
I replaced the coil, (same type) and still not starting , (turning Over) , Rang RACV, and told them, they asked what was written on bottom of coil, it was a standard 12 volt , coil, They said it needed a 12 volt coil for electronic Ignition, as the normal 12 volt coil is really only 7 volt, and the balast resistor makes them up to 12 volt, The electrician had taken the balast resistor off , So I order in a special 12 volt coil, and still Turning over but not starting, ,,,,new inside, for electronic ignition?, $385 for parts, New coil, for electronic ignition, new plugs, leads, new bits of wiring and some news joiners, new complete ignition, ?????, hope this helps.

patch697
26th June 2011, 12:09 PM
Hi all sorry bout that, My name is Tony I have A 1992 GQ petrol 4x4 wagon, Original Prob ,1, went to strt it and kept stalling, when I held the key on just a little it ran, so thats how I drove home, holding the key on just a tad, a two weeks later Auto Elec, had fixed the prob , drove 4km, and it died again, b back to Auto Elect, two weeks we have fixed the prob, drove 5km, and again stopped, ( in the interim, I have had the Ignition replaced,) I checked all wiring points and Tightened up a lot of them, and it ran,Drove 150km, and it wouldn't start again, RACV came said it was the electronic Ignition, so they replaced it, picked it up, it drove ok, about 90km started to run a bit ruff, nothing changed on gauges, and arrived home, next morning no start, I checked the leads, and the wires to the coil were loose , i went to tighten them and found the coil was leaking,and hot,
I replaced the coil, (same type) and still not starting , (turning Over) , Rang RACV, and told them, they asked what was written on bottom of coil, it was a standard 12 volt , coil, They said it needed a 12 volt coil for electronic Ignition, as the normal 12 volt coil is really only 7 volt, and the balast resistor makes them up to 12 volt, The electrician had taken the balast resistor off , So I order in a special 12 volt coil, and still Turning over but not starting, ,,,,new inside, for electronic ignition?, $385 for parts, New coil, for electronic ignition, new plugs, leads, new bits of wiring and some news joiners, new complete ignition, ?????, hope this helps.

Where you from mate?

Yendor
26th June 2011, 01:05 PM
Hi Tony.

You took the vehicle to an Auto electrician for a faulty ballast resistor and his idea of fixing it was to bypass it....that's clever.

So you have been running the wrong coil with the electronic ignition? there is a good chance this has done damage to the electronic ignition module.

Have a look and smell the module has it started to melt?

The electronic ignition kit should state what coil to run in the instructions, most of the ones I have seen recommend to keep the ballast resistor and coil.

The other thing to try is remove the tacho and radio suppressor wires from the negative side of the coil, just leave the one wire that goes to your ignition module.

Tonyt
27th June 2011, 10:33 AM
Central Vic, near Maryborough,

Tonyt
4th July 2011, 12:42 PM
HHmmm, thanks for the info, I have power to the Coil, but none out from it , I changed the coil lead no difference, I took the dizzy cap off and the rotor button had been hitting one of the contact points and bent it, when I undid the cover plate it was sitting on top of the Ignition module, and was bolted down crooked, I have ordered a new cover, and will have to see why it is not sitting down properly. but I dont think this would stop the power, or spark??
I am thinking about putting a 302/308 in it , as the motor needs to see the doctor, any ideas on this,??? is there many problems, I know I need an adaption plate, maybe this will fix the bloody wiring problems, GGgrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

Tonyt
5th July 2011, 11:21 PM
Hi All I havwe the parts now and will attempt to put him back together, tomorrow,, that should be fun,???? ok no fun, but be good to have four-b back , got some mean river crossings to tackle.
I have spokento a very nice gentle man in Queensland who can build a chevy 350 for me for towing, sounds like a mean machine could end up here,
pity I cant get one in VIctoria,

Tonyt
14th July 2011, 11:00 PM
G/day all, put the bloody thing back together ,,, no different, no spark from coil, coil id live, HELLLLLPPPPPPPP.