PDA

View Full Version : S3 Switch Mount for Sub Fuel Tank

Pimpmyhubcap
9th January 2020, 11:42 AM
Howdy all.

First question for all the tech guys out there . Is there a known switch that can be used as a replacement for the sub fuel tank one that will fit into the area on the left of the steering wheel?

I`m just looking at different options with the stereo surround and Redarc gauges. I do have another surround ready to go in as I have butchered the pictured one.

Also if there is a known fascia panel for behind the gauges to make it look a little neater. If not then I`ll get something 3d printed.

Cheers79893

the evil twin
9th January 2020, 01:51 PM
In short, no there isn't if you want to keep the system standard (won't transfer unless there is space in the main and auto switch off when sub empty).

If you want a "manual system" that you have to monitor and transfer as space/fuel is available then, yes, you can power the transfer pump directly.

I had a manual 'emergency' setup on my Coil Cab (90 litre sub 145 litre main) as I used to do some very remote travel and as we all know the factory system can be a PIA occasionally.

It was setup like a TC lock up system IE in normal the factory system worked, in emergency a relay took control of the pump and fed it 12 volts direct.
You get the sub tank warning lamp in emergency and until you get a chance to disco the battery/ pull the fuses to force a reset but that helps remind you to keep an eye on fuel tank levels

BillsGU
9th January 2020, 02:58 PM
A pillar pod for the gauges may solve your problem.

Brissieboy
9th January 2020, 05:00 PM
The subtank switch has:
- an indicator light (2 wires)
- illumination/dash light (2 wires)
- a single make/normally open non-locking contact - contact only closes while held pressed (2 wires).
Total of 6 wires.
Any switch with those basic fittings that fits the hole you want to use should suffice.
An alternative is just the single contact and mount the indicator light separately; and you could possibly do without the illumination light.
On mine (2015 GU wagon) I just extended the form wiring so I could mount the existing switch in a spare position on the centre console near the gear lever where it can be easily seen and operated. There was a blank position so I just swapped the blanking plate and the switch. The existing wiring will not reach without some extra length.

Pimpmyhubcap
10th January 2020, 09:20 AM
No thanks Bill. Trying to keep windscreen clutter down to a minimum and pillar blind spots away.

Pimpmyhubcap
10th January 2020, 09:29 AM
The subtank switch has:
- an indicator light (2 wires)
- illumination/dash light (2 wires)
- a single make/normally open non-locking contact - contact only closes while held pressed (2 wires).
Total of 6 wires.
Any switch with those basic fittings that fits the hole you want to use should suffice.
An alternative is just the single contact and mount the indicator light separately; and you could possibly do without the illumination light.
On mine (2015 GU wagon) I just extended the form wiring so I could mount the existing switch in a spare position on the centre console near the gear lever where it can be easily seen and operated. There was a blank position so I just swapped the blanking plate and the switch. The existing wiring will not reach without some extra length.

That makes it all seem rather easy Brissieboy Do you have a picture of the location? You arent on the northside are you?

Brissieboy
10th January 2020, 09:51 AM
That makes it all seem rather easy Brissieboy Do you have a picture of the location? You arent on the northside are you?

Not much to show in a pic, but here it is. The hardest part is getting the panels out and then the switches from the panels.
And I am at Toowong.79897