PDA

View Full Version : Fire fire fire

threedogs
4th January 2020, 09:40 AM
Thought we may need a special thread on the fires seeing its impacting on so many
23 dead 20 plus missing never good , Huge thanks to those fireries unprecidented conditions.
On the TODAY show this morning a woman rode her horse to safety only to return and
find her house had been looted , who does that sort of thing. It makes me mad when I
think about it, they should be strung up, no mercy for the low lifes
Heart goes out to those that have lost everything,
be strong and feel the love from all around you

GQtdauto
4th January 2020, 11:54 AM
Fire 8 kilometres from Whitfield is about 2 kilometres from a friends farm which backs onto forest and hasn't had a fuel reduction burn in years .

Maxhead
4th January 2020, 12:33 PM
23 confirmed dead TD. Victoria is not the only state with fires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
4th January 2020, 01:27 PM
23 confirmed dead TD. Victoria is not the only state with fires

Thanks Ill change it, I meant nation wide not only vic.
The fires in NSW have been going since November I think

mudnut
4th January 2020, 07:14 PM
We were getting a bit concerned as we had fires to the west, north and east, last night. I can only guess at the fear all who have had to evacuate must be feeling.

And to the Firies, those magnificent people who headed into the danger zone to halt the fires near us, and to those still fighting else where, THANK YOU!

Our friend's son has been called in by the military and I hope he and all the others come through this safely.

PeeBee
4th January 2020, 07:18 PM
Daughters property that was saved from destruction just outside Bruthen, at Wiseley, is now back in the firing line as wind shift has the Bruthen township about to be impacted, and her home is outside the protection zone - we are sitting on tender hooks here hoping the worst does not happen. They are safe in Bairnsdale for now - next 48 hrs will tell.

Avo
4th January 2020, 07:55 PM
Really hope everyone here and those you all know stay safe,sitting over here in the sth wst wa watching the news and listening to updates is quite astonishing to say the least
We had a top of 15 deg yesterday and 20mm of rain and could only wish we could send it all your way

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mudski
4th January 2020, 10:52 PM
Anyone know where I can drop off some donations? There was the Coldstream CFA, now they don't want anymore, then we were directed to Lilydale CFA, so I collected a heap of stuff here, stretchers, doonas, blankets etc and went to Coscto and bought a few things there and now Lilydale don't want anymore. I am struggling to find where now. Surely they new more donations.
AB MB Rosco rusty_nail. Do you know if your local CFA is taking anything? I really only have tomorrow to deliver this stuff as we are going away...

I will ring our local CFA tomorrow actually and see if they can help...

MB
4th January 2020, 11:16 PM
Unsure Mark Mate, Christmas Hills #1 left yesterday for Wangaratta assistance, maybe best to look towards Red Cross for best coordinated advice hopefully.

TPC
5th January 2020, 12:52 AM
Have rain falling at my place at the moment, just hope it is helping with Kangaroo Island fires.

Maxhead
5th January 2020, 06:03 AM
Anyone know where I can drop off some donations? There was the Coldstream CFA, now they don't want anymore, then we were directed to Lilydale CFA, so I collected a heap of stuff here, stretchers, doonas, blankets etc and went to Coscto and bought a few things there and now Lilydale don't want anymore. I am struggling to find where now. Surely they new more donations.
AB MB Rosco rusty_nail. Do you know if your local CFA is taking anything? I really only have tomorrow to deliver this stuff as we are going away...

Check facey mate. We’ve got a few pages organising donations and dropping off to affected areas.
Few have arrived already[emoji106]

mudski
5th January 2020, 09:13 AM
Check facey mate. We’ve got a few pages organising donations and dropping off to affected areas.
Few have arrived already[emoji106]

Yeah I’ll check that. There’s people around collecting everyone’s donations and then delivering them but I do not trust this so I’m only looking at the cfa or actual organisations.

Rossco
5th January 2020, 11:02 AM
Not too sure Make Markie have you tried the red cross. Unfortunately I think money is the best donation people can make. A lot of material items are already well stocked and also takes a lot of time in the sorting distribution etc. Not too sure on all the avenues for donations but there but the brushfire appeal and there is someone in Mallacoota taking donations on the Facebook page where you can direct your money how you like and surely many similar. Was good to see our local IGA was asking people for 2 dollar donation for every transaction which is awesome.

PeeBee
5th January 2020, 11:09 AM
Well, the weather that was predicted for Bruthen didn't happen, so the daughter's place remains in tact. Its raining there now, roads still closed and yes , 2 looters were arrested in Bruthen this morning caught in the act of ransacking a home. I hope they are paraded on the TV tonight, but of course they wont be due to infringement of their rights to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. As much as a detest the 'A Current Affair' style of journalism I would welcome a team of their sensationalising ambulance chasers to splash there ferals across the national media - no sympathy.

Quick update, daughter and husband are allowed back, power and water restored, place had not been burgled, animals fine, just starting the process of de-smoking the house, which will probably take months, but that's the least of their issues compared to some.

threedogs
5th January 2020, 11:41 AM
Looks like decent rain on the radar is heading down Gippsland way
Pray it does the job

Maxhead
5th January 2020, 12:17 PM
Also be careful of fake go fund me links. Plenty around....scum bags!!!

Hodge
5th January 2020, 12:41 PM
Like Rossco said. I think $ is the best way to help at the moment through the right channels. Red Cross , for example.
We took a heap of canned food, toiletries , etc ... to food bank this morning.
Had a chat to a truckie down there and he reckons the distribution and logistical component of it is getting overwhelmed and it may get worse.

Cuppa
5th January 2020, 01:36 PM
For those wanting to help out those affected in Victoria this link gives a variety of options. Money brings humanity to help those who are down. It's important.

https://www.mycause.com.au/events/vicbushfireappeal

mudski
5th January 2020, 03:06 PM
Also be careful of fake go fund me links. Plenty around....scum bags!!!

Yep. Seen a few sus ones on FB already. Costco were asking for donations too at their checkout. I think I will just hold this stuff for now and will make a cash donation instead.

katwoman
5th January 2020, 07:56 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/01/54.jpgwe had the ‘Need for feed’ guys in at work, as well as MFB the army and melb water. I hope they took the rain with them. The lions club are doing a fantastic job

threedogs
6th January 2020, 09:24 AM

mudski on the news this morning they said they didnt want clothes or food,, just donations.
Great to see that comedian lady raised more the $20mil astonishing when you think about it
Only took 48 hrs.
Where I am visability was about 100mtrs at 7 this morning
with the smell of wet fire wood in the air.
Hopefully these cooler temps and rain wil ease the danger a bit
STAY SAFE ALL

shakey55
8th January 2020, 06:45 AM
The Celeste Barber fund raiser has now reach $45 million through here Facebook page. Outstanding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rusty_nail
8th January 2020, 06:51 AM
The Celeste Barber fund raiser has now reach $45 million through here Facebook page. Outstanding

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkUnbelievable isn't it! I found it astounding that this person (I believe she is a social media influencer) has raised that much money and the red cross has raised about 10 million less. I guess people believe all of their donation will end up with the communities through Celeste, rather than being eaten away by the administration of the red cross etc?

MudRunnerTD
8th January 2020, 07:55 AM
Unbelievable isn't it! I found it astounding that this person (I believe she is a social media influencer) has raised that much money and the red cross has raised about 10 million less. I guess people believe all of their donation will end up with the communities through Celeste, rather than being eaten away by the administration of the red cross etc?

It is extra ordinary really. I think she was early and first and prominent enough to become the steam train.

At the end of the day she can't manage $45mill. She will either have to Create an Organisation to manage $45mill or divy it out to or organisations like the Red Cross, RFS, CFA, Salvos, etc who will all be employing people to manage what will be $1Bill worth of Aid. This will require a Machine to manage otherwise it will never be accounted and no way to ensure it goes to the right people. And that costs money.

rusty_nail
8th January 2020, 05:50 PM
It is extra ordinary really. I think she was early and first and prominent enough to become the steam train.

At the end of the day she can't manage $45mill. She will either have to Create an Organisation to manage $45mill or divy it out to or organisations like the Red Cross, RFS, CFA, Salvos, etc who will all be employing people to manage what will be $1Bill worth of Aid. This will require a Machine to manage otherwise it will never be accounted and no way to ensure it goes to the right people. And that costs money.

i understand your points mate, they are very valid, i just think most people dont understand that? to give you some idea of my skepticism of those larger charities though, Tegan has a colleage who worked for one of those larger charities during the black saturday fires. according to her, none of the money that was donated/raised for that cause ended up going to support the communities who were affected by those fires...

Maxhead
9th January 2020, 04:37 AM
i understand your points mate, they are very valid, i just think most people dont understand that? to give you some idea of my skepticism of those larger charities though, Tegan has a colleage who worked for one of those larger charities during the black saturday fires. according to her, none of the money that was donated/raised for that cause ended up going to support the communities who were affected by those fires...

100% this money won’t see the pockets of people that actually need it.

It would be nice if it could buy a few more fire trucks, fire fighting equipment, build more fire sheds, help communities in need, help those who lost everything, help whole communities wiped out. But all this money will make these big charities richer and line their CEO’s pockets...it’s fucked up! Rant over

mudski
9th January 2020, 09:41 AM
100% this money won’t see the pockets of people that actually need it.

It would be nice if it could buy a few more fire trucks, fire fighting equipment, build more fire sheds, help communities in need, help those who lost everything, help whole communities wiped out. But all this money will make these big charities richer and line their CEO’s pockets...it’s fucked up! Rant over

Yeah rah I have to agree with you on this Krisso. I only see a wolf dressed in sheep’s clothes. Who do we trust these days to make sure the money actually goes to those who actually need it though?

mudnut
9th January 2020, 10:33 AM
When it all calms down a bit, we could arrange a meet up in one of the affected areas, and spend our money down that way. I feel for the owners of the petrol stations and supermarkets that were robbed blind during the crisis.

Hodge
9th January 2020, 10:45 AM
When it all calms down a bit, we could arrange a meet up in one of the affected areas, and spend our money down that way. I feel for the owners of the petrol stations and supermarkets that were robbed blind during the crisis.

This, this, this and more of this !
IMO this is the most crucial part. Not abandoning the region, and not having the "oh the place is burnt to the ground, ill go elsewhere" mentality. Its so important for all those areas, spending money and time there, making them feel NOT left out after all the horrors. NO charity can give them that.

mudnut
9th January 2020, 04:43 PM
Saw a military fuel truck heading out of town. Good to see things are getting done.

katwoman
10th January 2020, 06:34 AM
Saw a military fuel truck heading out of town. Good to see things are getting done.

We’ve had tons of army heading to Bairnsdale this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/01/116.jpg

PeeBee
10th January 2020, 06:56 AM
We are down at Wiseleigh this weekend with our daughter. The run down the highway was pretty much empty yesterday on the road, couple of those big army vehicles coming the other way. Its still and smokey with a high alert today - temps circa 39degC and a wind change around 4pm, so thats the danger time. Driving thru Sarsfield which is between Bairnsdale and Bruthen was very sad seeing the decimation of what was a beautiful little community, now mostly gone. I set up a fire pumping system yesterday and long hoses, and we are heading into Bairnsdale this morning before the heat to get some more gear to look at perimeter sprays for the house.

mudnut
10th January 2020, 09:36 AM
Stay safe, Phil. Get Gal or copper for pipes and risers, with brass sprinklers. I know a bloke that used plastic and nearly lost the house.

PeeBee
10th January 2020, 03:16 PM
Stay safe, Phil. Get Gal or copper for pipes and risers, with brass sprinklers. I know a bloke that used plastic and nearly lost the house.

Thanks Craig. I was going to run the under eve ring main in upvc with physical protection from the IR due to the facia board. The sprinkler heads are probably going to be brass as you suggest. I am running thru the details of cellphone remote activation using readily avail devices such as power and water valve devices. I have the challenge that I am a long way away from my daughters home and her husband is not on the same page as I am with this stuff. I will give some thought to the metal ring main, certainly could easily run in either a shed 10 or elec conduit.

I have just set up an elec pump and 75m of 18mm hose, heaps of flow and pressure gets water up and onto the centre of the roof.

the evil twin
10th January 2020, 06:38 PM
When I lived in the bush up on the NSW coast it was the eaves and gutters that were the most common source of problems.
The embers would land and end up in the rain gutters and the leaf litter and crap would set fire to the eaves and after that it was like a chimney effect.
One strategy was block the down pipes and fill the gutters with water.
Thankfully didn't have that problem in the N.T. as no gutters 'cause it rains too much so no ignition source and trusses were steel 'cause of termites.

In the black christmas fires in Sydney in 2001 a major issue on the Central Coast was loss of water pressure when the placcy sprinkler timers on garden taps melted.

PeeBee
10th January 2020, 06:44 PM
Just made a call to 000 for a re-ignition of a log in the burnt out area behind my daughters place. Admittedly the crew station is less than a kilometre from here but we had a fire truck and 5 Delph or old des trucks on site within about 3 minutes of the call, absolutely amazing response, luckily it's pretty quiet here and the rain has just started, greatly reassuring to say the least

PeeBee
10th January 2020, 06:49 PM
When I lived in the bush up on the NSW coast it was the eaves and gutters that were the most common source of problems.
The embers would land and end up in the rain gutters and the leaf litter and crap would set fire to the eaves and after that it was like a chimney effect.
One strategy was block the down pipes and fill the gutters with water.
Thankfully didn't have that problem in the N.T. as no gutters 'cause it rains too much so no ignition source and trusses were steel 'cause of termites.

In the black christmas fires in Sydney in 2001 a major issue on the Central Coast was loss of water pressure when the placcy sprinkler timers on garden taps melted.

Thanks ET, am certainly getting stoppers for the down pipes and taking on board the plastic timer issue. Once again, things like these details can bring a plan unstuck if not addressed. I will push pretty hard for a risk based assessment and appropriate level of protection as I will be funding it, so it should not get too much pushback from the son in law.

tryan277
10th January 2020, 08:17 PM
Hopefully you are getting some decent rain looking at the radar.
Wife's in-laws live just north west of Swan Reach on the Bruthen-Swan Reach Road, they have been on tender hooks for the last week or so.
Had about 2 hours of steady rain here in the southern burbs.

Cheers Trevor

PeeBee
10th January 2020, 08:19 PM
Bit of lightning, light infrequent rain but with luck this will increase tonight

PeeBee
11th January 2020, 08:29 PM
Rained for about 6hrs last night, nice and steady, cleared the air totally and deep soaked the area. Risk level now down to community advice level, everyone in our house feeling a bit happier, but they still need to be vigilant in the coming months.