PDA

View Full Version : Diff swap from 4.2 diesel to 2.8 diesel....Help!!!

vbowste1
20th June 2011, 11:23 PM
HI all
Just wondering can someone help me out i want to swap the diffs out of a 4.2 with the diffs out of a 2.8
are they the same, is the axle spline the same.
i was told the only difference is the flange is that true?
i am planning on changing them this weekend would be good to know before then !
Thanks.

YNOT
20th June 2011, 11:33 PM
As answered in your intro thread as long as the diff centres are out of H233b diffs yes they will bolt straight in and axles fit will fit. Only a few GU manuals were fitted with the bigger H260b rear diff which will not bolt into a H233b housing.
Assuming the 4.3 diffs are out of H233b if the flanges are different they are interchangable.

Tony

vbowste1
21st June 2011, 12:44 AM
Thanks Tony
The flanges need to be changed from what i have been told as the 2.8 has a smaller tail shaft and has a smaller flange, but the only thing to ask now is how do i tell if the diffs in the 4.2 are H233b and i forgot to mention the 4.2 is a turbo model. Is there a easy way to tell, maybe the compliance plate?

YNOT
21st June 2011, 06:25 AM
Sorry mate I should have noticed that, all 4.2 wagons had the H233b rear diffs from factory. Check the ratio's though, most 4.2 factory turbo wagons had 3.9 ratio.
H260 is a physically bigger diff, beside the front diff centre it would be noticably bigger.

Tony

mike barnett
21st June 2011, 03:25 PM
hi i just did this 2 weeks ago i have a td42 safari factory turbo,well it was when i got it .I got a 2.8 front diff complete with 4.6 crown wheel and pinion {factory over here}took my arb front locker out off the 4.1 ratio diff and the 4.6 out off the 2.8 diff and used the 2.8 housing that i had shaved and braced etc and put a axle from either diff in and had no probs with any part fitting either way.

GUIV
21st June 2011, 03:57 PM
H260 diff is full floating, so there will be a HUB-like thingy hanging outside the rim (much like the front, free wheeling hub). As far as I know, only leaf sprung UTE has H260 (as well as early 4.8 GU wagon)...

The flange just undo it and swap it over.

YNOT
21st June 2011, 04:52 PM
H260 diff is full floating, so there will be a HUB-like thingy hanging outside the rim (much like the front, free wheeling hub). As far as I know, only leaf sprung UTE has H260 (as well as early 4.8 GU wagon)...

The flange just undo it and swap it over.

Leaf sprung GU ute had H260 rear with full floating hubs, these diffs have a narrow track.
Most early manual GU 3.0 diesel, 4.5 and 4.8 petrol had H260 semi floating rear with standard track.

Tony

vbowste1
22nd June 2011, 12:31 AM
Ok then it sounds like i should not have a problem, but i was just trying to save some money in-case the diffs are different as i have a mechanic pulling them out and putting them back in as i dont have the time to do it myself. and the diffs are in Brisbane and i dont see them till after mine are out. and yes they are apparently 4.3 so should bring my revs down to 2400 at 100kmh.
Thanks so much for your time Tony.
Regards Steve

vbowste1
22nd June 2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks GUIV thats good to know.
Regards Steve

vbowste1
22nd June 2011, 12:37 AM
Well ill have to be careful of any of those that have had a 4.2 conversion things could get confusing then

MudRunnerTD
22nd June 2011, 12:44 AM
Hey steve, good luck with your swap mate, you will find that the ratios are more likely 4.6s mate in the 2.8 and will be a nice mod behind a TD42T running 35s. are you swapping out 4.1s or 3.9s?

You will notice quite a change when you get to drive it. Dont expect it to be the be all and end all of your ratio needs though...

Yes it is true that your cruising revs will drop slightly and be close to what you were used to on 31s but that is a small window and everything else everywhere else will be different.

Here i a pic at 100km/h on 35s with 4.6s

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/GQ%20Done/IMG_0508.jpg

You will feel an increase in the torque delivery and the gears through the box will feel shorter. but get it into low range in the steep stuff and it will be really punchy and pull like a train with plenty left.

Enjoy.