PDA

View Full Version : TD42 upgraded fan and hub assembly

0-TJ-0
23rd December 2019, 11:44 AM
Hi all, I've done a few decent hill climbs and drives in high 40's (49deg on Friday) and notice the water temps rise quite quickly towards 100deg since the new pump and turbo. Haven't had it overheat yet but I'd like a bit more wiggle room for when I want to tow.

Amongst other things I want to put a new fan and hub on. I've seen a few people recommending the UFI upgraded fan and hub assembly but also see "quick azz" advertising on eBay making claims thiers is the bee's knees.

Anyone got any personal knowledge of the differences between them?

https://patrolapart.com.au/product/ufi-viscous-hub-fan-blade-assembly-for-nissan-patrol-gu-td42-tb45

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2 F202471966353

rusty_nail
23rd December 2019, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure what MudRunnerTD has but he's upgraded his fan hub assembly to good success. He can probably point you in the right direction?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hodge
23rd December 2019, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure what @MudRunnerTD (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=153) has but he's upgraded his fan hub assembly to good success. He can probably point you in the right direction?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think he is running the G35 fan like mudski and my self. A cheaper common alternative with good results.

https://patrolapart.com.au/product/genuine-nissan-g35-fan-blade-suit-nissan-patrol-gu-td42

After I fitted this fan I found my temps recover quicker after a bit of load. You can hear this fans air whooshing compared to the factory TD fan. Also adding some oil to the hub will make it work harder (spin more of the time), will help a bit. mudski is the man here, hes experimented a lot with this and found a sweet spot, helped me heaps too.

There is also a certain Pajero model fan, that can be adaptored to suit a TD which is meant to be good. I believe Winnie mentioned this recently.

0-TJ-0
23rd December 2019, 02:24 PM
There is also a certain Pajero model fan, that can be adaptored to suit a TD which is meant to be good. I believe Winnie mentioned this recently.

Oh yeah. That must be the fan the ebay mob are using. They mention its a Mitsubishi fan

Winnie
23rd December 2019, 02:43 PM
Oh yeah. That must be the fan the ebay mob are using. They mention its a Mitsubishi fanYeah the UFI one uses the same Mitsubishi fan and hub, the only difference is the adaptor they make.
I can't comment on the difference between them as I haven't seen either.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

0-TJ-0
13th January 2020, 06:13 PM
Ended up trying the "Quickazz" mob. Was a good buying experience, fast shipping and a scootch cheaper than others with the full fan and hub assy. I've had zero issues with patrolapart in the past.. but $30 saved will pay for the scotch to help me fit it.

Did manage to get it fitted today but I haven't been for a drive yet. Will report back, probably after Australia day weekend on the results.

matfew
13th January 2020, 09:26 PM
Got mine in last week. Sitting in tassie loaded to the hilt and remote have never been as low or stable ever before.

Could not recommend it more! I thought mine was actually running a tad cool this morning haha. Never EVER have I thought that before lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

0-TJ-0
13th January 2020, 09:34 PM
That's what I was hoping for! I haven't yet over heated but I have seen the gauge headed that way.. Just wanted a bit more wiggle room haha. Your post gives me hope!

0-TJ-0
14th January 2020, 09:33 PM
Just took it for a short drive.. I tell ya, when the fan gets going it starts to worry me that it might suck a small child in through the grill if they get too close. Total different sound now.

MB
28th January 2020, 09:25 PM
No doubt wrong here again :-(
Here’s hoping there is no correlation between mechanical donk bigger cfm fans and stock water pump bearings/seals to OEM suit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0-TJ-0
29th January 2020, 12:18 AM
No doubt wrong here again :-(
Here’s hoping there is no correlation between mechanical donk bigger cfm fans and stock water pump bearings/seals to OEM suit?

No idea on that one MB . It's only extra axial load, couldn't imagine it'll shorten the bearing life too significantly. I'll let you know if anything unusual happens.

It did occur to me though that I should try get the specs for the hub. I assume they have a set temperature they try to maintain the engine at. I guess for peak efficiency that temp should match up with the thermostat temperature so they're not working against each other.

mudski
29th January 2020, 07:20 AM
I would love to try this combination out but Im concerned nothing will change and I have wasted my coin. I use the G35 fan and now have so much oil in the hub its locked 100% of the time and my Patrol will see 95-105c easily on a 25c day going up a hill when towing.. Coming back from Robe with the Swan in tow, 26c day and hitting some hills and the temps will sky rocket.

Quite embarrassing really, here's me in third gear on a hill that I know I can do 100k's up, in 5th, with ease towing, but I can't as the temp gauge would bend the needle trying to go past its max on the dial. It feels like the old ZD30 days towing. Slow.

But then in the winter, on some down hill runs, my temps would go as low as 45c. I know I have the air flow, I can hear it. It never used to be like this, something just ain't right with mine. I've done every possible mod to the cooling system with little change. Also had it dyno'ed and detuned which showed no improvement.

0-TJ-0
29th January 2020, 10:52 AM
Yeah I can't comment too much yet. I know it's made a dramatic improvement to mine, but I've only done a little towing and my fan and hub would have been the untouched original.

I towed a reasonably hefty hard floor camper for about 3 hours this weekend just gone. Went up a few hills and dropped to 4th just to be kind to 5th but never saw temps hit 90c. They used to hover around 90c without towing.

Hodge
31st January 2020, 08:07 PM
Usually With my car I'd have to be pushing it to get over 85 ,normal driving conditions.
Today simply idling with AC on, it began climbing from its usual resting place of 78... And then it sat going between 85-87 ... Never ever seen it do that before . http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/01/254.jpg

mudski
31st January 2020, 08:25 PM
Haha I would have been idling on 100c today easily.

0-TJ-0
31st January 2020, 08:33 PM
Haha yeah.. Last really hot day we had (before the fan upgrade) I sat idling and it got up to around 100c.

MB
31st January 2020, 08:46 PM
Usually With my car I'd have to be pushing it to get over 85 ,normal driving conditions.
Today simply idling with AC on, it began climbing from its usual resting place of 78... And then it sat going between 85-87 ... Never ever seen it do that before . http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/01/254.jpg

Stress Less Hodgey Mate!
Running Mrs MB’s deep winter to peak summer stability now of 88C<>98C comfortably efficient and most happy it appears.
A kind Guru suggested on here somewhere their “Sweet Spot” was around 92C and I now 100% agree from personal findings [emoji106]
Tough donk they are and will go a lot higher with short term consciousness [emoji106][emoji106]

Hodge
31st January 2020, 09:14 PM
Stress Less Hodgey Mate!
Running Mrs MB’s deep winter to peak summer stability now of 88C<>98C comfortably efficient and most happy it appears.
A kind Guru suggested on here somewhere their “Sweet Spot” was around 92C and I now 100% agree from personal findings [emoji106]
Tough donk they are and will go a lot higher with short term consciousness [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo worries here at all Marko mate. Mind you it was sitting in sun with circa 43C ambient ... Reliably kept me cool!

0-TJ-0
4th February 2020, 04:21 PM
Short story time..

Took the patrol about 2 hours away on the long weekend and did a bit of towing with it. Noticed this when i got to where i was going.. (ignore the old belts, got some newies there for it)

Looks like my brand new hub has done a shaft seal most likely, spitting viscous fluid everywhere. Bugger. I was expecting a battle to sort out replacement so I didn't even look more at it until I got home after the weekend. Checked the ebay listing when I got home "returns accepted, buyer pays return postage". Great, i might get a new one but it's still gunna cost me..

Sent the fella an email with the attached picture and I kid you not, within minutes I got an apologetic response telling me he would immediately send out a new one with a return bag for the old one.

4 days later, boom, new hub lands at the post office.

Yes a bit inconvenient, but sht happens sometimes. Customer service like he actually wants my business. Brilliant.

Winnie
4th February 2020, 04:43 PM
Short story time..

Took the patrol about 2 hours away on the long weekend and did a bit of towing with it. Noticed this when i got to where i was going.. (ignore the old belts, got some newies there for it)

Looks like my brand new hub has done a shaft seal most likely, spitting viscous fluid everywhere. Bugger. I was expecting a battle to sort out replacement so I didn't even look more at it until I got home after the weekend. Checked the ebay listing when I got home "returns accepted, buyer pays return postage". Great, i might get a new one but it's still gunna cost me..

Sent the fella an email with the attached picture and I kid you not, within minutes I got an apologetic response telling me he would immediately send out a new one with a return bag for the old one.

4 days later, boom, new hub lands at the post office.

Yes a bit inconvenient, but sht happens sometimes. Customer service like he actually wants my business. Brilliant.That's great service. Which company did you buy from? I am in the market for one of those shortly.
Interesting though maybe check your water pump. MudRunnerTD and Matfew's pumps both went at the same time and left the same marks on their fans.

0-TJ-0
4th February 2020, 05:34 PM
That's great service. Which company did you buy from? I am in the market for one of those shortly.
Interesting though maybe check your water pump. MudRunnerTD and Matfew's pumps both went at the same time and left the same marks on their fans.

Qikazz.. just a ebay seller as far as i can see.

I'll dig deeper when i pull it apart but it didn't go the funny colour or smell like coolant. I also drove it the 2 hrs home after i noticed it without any issues. I'm pretty sure it's the original pump on it though, so who knows

0-TJ-0
4th February 2020, 06:43 PM
Winnie got me worried so i went straight out to check.

Pulled it apart after rushing a bit and stripping one of the little 4mm allen bolts, then having to cut a notch in to get it out. Standard fare.

Definitely looks and feels like the sticky viscous stuff. Looks like it was seeping out of the edge.
Water pump looks clean and feels fine. Still got the belts on with a bit of tension, but i gave it a good wriggle.

Finished it back off with some slightly more 'bull at a gate' friendly 5mm allen bolts

mudski
4th February 2020, 07:15 PM
Might be a good idea to replace the water pump while it’s apart. For the xtra cost I think it will be a worthy exercise.

MB
4th February 2020, 09:10 PM
Mechanical Nuffy me TJ Mate but I agree it looks like waterless oil/fluid that has just unfortunately spun outa there.
Good on the supplier for coming to the party ASAP [emoji106][emoji106]

0-TJ-0
4th February 2020, 09:35 PM
Might be a good idea to replace the water pump while it’s apart. For the xtra cost I think it will be a worthy exercise.

I should look at ordering one. Have no idea if it's ever been done. It did only take me about 10 minutes to get all those bits off this round though.. and i really want to do the rear tower braces with the next available funds. Especially now I'm looking at getting a camper.

0-TJ-0
4th February 2020, 09:38 PM
mudski I suppose genuine is best way to go for water pump?

matfew
4th February 2020, 09:55 PM
Aaron at quickaz had then to me lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mudski
5th February 2020, 07:21 AM
mudski I suppose genuine is best way to go for water pump?

I would only go genuine or the JPC upgrade hi flow pump. After market would more than likely be fine, but if you have a choice...

MB
7th February 2020, 05:24 PM
Personally struggling to understand the concept behind high flow water pumps gents since finally and recently viewing side by side their solid/full vanes against an OEM somewhat half vane design.
Honestly Nuffy always thought myself that engine water does need a balancing act of time within our radiators to shed heat.
The concept somewhat reminds me of nutter mates when younger pulling their thermostats out of their V8’s thinking it helped unleashing all restriction flow.
They ran so so cold downhills but crikey under long hauling constant loads they crept and crept until uncontrollable bubble time happened again and again :-(

mudski
7th February 2020, 06:34 PM
Personally struggling to understand the concept behind high flow water pumps gents since finally and recently viewing side by side their solid/full vanes against an OEM somewhat half vane design.
Honestly Nuffy always thought myself that engine water does need a balancing act of time within our radiators to shed heat.
The concept somewhat reminds me of nutter mates when younger pulling their thermostats out of their V8’s thinking it helped unleashing all restriction flow.
They ran so so cold downhills but crikey under long hauling constant loads they crept and crept until uncontrollable bubble time happened again and again :-(

Funny you say this mate. I’ve been thinking of removing my JPC pump and putting in a genuine stocky to see the difference. As mine on a cool day, the temps will drop a lot on down hill runs, then sky rocket going back up. So I just flog the bejesus out of it to get to the top as quick as I can. [emoji38]

MB
7th February 2020, 06:57 PM
Definitely worth a crack old mate, same as Mythbuster blokes start out their experiments, begin with a bog stock OEM base and work our way up as genuine usage needed [emoji106]
In fairness to the subject, having owned quite a few 4.2 TD’s some donks all near bog stock do behave differently somehow?
Maybe cavitation on castings possibly?
Always thought that Mrs MB had the best donk in Mexico but now believing Hodgey mates is even sexier :-) [emoji106][emoji106]

0-TJ-0
8th February 2020, 10:20 AM
I did some googling after mudski suggested them and the Google experts reckon if you've got an overheating problem a high flow won't help it. High flow is good for low engine speeds.. i.e. rock crawling and hot rods in street cruises. Moves more coolant at slower speeds but won't really help the overall cooling capacity. Seems legit, I mean it makes sense to me anyway.

Genuine normal flow may give a more balanced temp?

Hodge
8th February 2020, 01:00 PM
I did some googling after mudski suggested them and the Google experts reckon if you've got an overheating problem a high flow won't help it. High flow is good for low engine speeds.. i.e. rock crawling and hot rods in street cruises. Moves more coolant at slower speeds but won't really help the overall cooling capacity. Seems legit, I mean it makes sense to me anyway.

Genuine normal flow may give a more balanced temp?

This is exactly what Mark (JPC) told me when my car was there to get this fitted and cooling system serviced. If your TD42 will spend a lot of time being a highway car, you're wasting your $ with this (high flow) pump. Same goes if you already have a overheating issue on the td42. No amount of extra coolant flow will fix this.
Coolant needs to spend a certain amount of time in the radiator, in order to "radiate" it's heat away... If you're sending coolant through the radiator million gallons an hour, it's pointless. Might as well cut the radiator out of the circuit.
But sending MORE coolant at lower engine revs is where this pump may come into it's own. Low range work, etc...

My personal experience, after the pump was fitted was not so much lower temps. It was how much faster the temps recovered after they got up a bit. For example pushing the car in low up a steep hill, and then stopping up the top. Factory pump temps used to linger in the hot range and slowly creep down. With the JPC pump, they went down much much faster.
But as for LOWER temps overall, or fixing your overheating TD? Waste of time IMO.