PDA

View Full Version : Changing GU rear wheel bearings

mudski
17th December 2019, 08:00 PM
So. I've own the Patrol for some seven years. The ODO is nudging 480k. I've done over half of that since owning it. I've never touched the rear wheel bearings. I don't even really know how long it should take. I'm heading off for two weeks on the 5th of Jan and now I'm a bit paranoid that I should be doing them before I go. Cutting it fine though I think.
What tools are needed? I have a press but I think, the bearings on the rear need to be removed differently. I think.

Any tips?

pspeirs
17th December 2019, 08:23 PM
If they aren’t causing problems then just go away for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudski
17th December 2019, 08:40 PM
If they aren’t causing problems then just go away for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Im thinking that but paranoia starts to sink in...

Hodge
17th December 2019, 08:57 PM
Marky Mark.
I have NFI about rear bearings.
But when I had my front bearings replaced recently , I asked when should I look at the rear.
Answer was that unless they give you grief , make noise or you're constantly carrying a lot of rear weight ... Then don't touch them. They will outlast the rest of the vehicle. Also apparently they are an absolute prick to press out.

mudski
17th December 2019, 09:01 PM
Marky Mark.
I have NFI about rear bearings.
But when I had my front bearings replaced recently , I asked when should I look at the rear.
Answer was that unless they give you grief , make noise or you're constantly carrying a lot of rear weight ... Then don't touch them. They will outlast the rest of the vehicle. Also apparently they are an absolute prick to press out.

Yeah I know but at nearly half a million k's on them, I really think they should be replaced. Just not now maybe. Lol.

Hodge
17th December 2019, 09:06 PM
Yeah I know but at nearly half a million k's on them, I really think they should be replaced. Just not now maybe. Lol.And as always , If you do pull the trigger and need a hand yell out.

mudski
18th December 2019, 07:22 AM
And as always , If you do pull the trigger and need a hand yell out.

Thanks. Getting the bearings off if where I will come undone. I dont have the right tool, or even know what the right tool is to do it.

10G
18th December 2019, 08:14 AM
Look at it differently.

Are you going somewhere where if the bearings fail, you'll really be in trouble, waiting days for someone to come across you, having to leave your vehicle, possibly abandoning it because you're so remote. Or will you be somewhere where you can get towed to a garage within the same day and get them done?

If you're going to be remote do them.

If you're staying within a rescue-able range of somewhere, leave them.

That's how I'd look at it.

Cuppa
18th December 2019, 08:20 AM
Answer was that unless they give you grief , make noise or you're constantly carrying a lot of rear weight ... Then don't touch them. They will outlast the rest of the vehicle.

I was a tad paranoid about heading off alone into remote areas without knowing my rear wheel bearings were good. This was at 200k (12 years old). Bit the bullet & got them done, even though they had given me no grief, nor made any noise. We do carry a lot of rear weight though, & I suspect the previous owners (Telstra) did too.

One side was showing a bit of blueing, had been getting hot because the grease in there had dried up. The other side had a minor oil leak past the seal.

If yours are not getting hot or making noise I'd reckon you'll probably be OK & get them done after you get back. I would think that a catastrophic failure (as in cannot proceed) occurring without warning would be very unlikely, & unless you are likely to be many hours/days from somewhere the RAC would recover you from (assuming you have RAC recovery) you would get by with some inconvenience at worst. You have to balance this against the inconvenience/difficulty of finding a mechanic at this time of the year!

The rear bearing are pretty substantial items, far bigger than front wheel bearings.

happygu
18th December 2019, 08:22 AM
If it makes you feel better, the rear wheel bearings won't normally spontaneously fail.

They will grind / make a noise to let you know - which gives you a little bit of time up your sleeve to get them fixed.

Head away, and plan to do them at a later date that suits you better....