PDA

View Full Version : Overheating 3L

TCgolfer
19th June 2011, 09:44 PM
Hi all,
My 2001 3L manual Patrol has recently started getting hot. On our way home from a fantastic 25 day trip through central Australia the air con cut out then the temps started climbing.
I had topped the radiator up on several occasions but with a heavy load, low tyre pressure 4wding just thought of it as normal. About 1lt (water only)on 3 mornings doing my daily checks.
The tank was pressure tested before we left and coolant was also fine. Ambient air temp was about 20 deg when this happened. It was a solid 2 days of driving home from Birdsville with the air con off mostly.
Roof rack with 60lt of jerries (empty) Other light gear total weight maybe 70kg (inc rack itself). Spot lights on front since new so no changes to the front end. Air filter (non genuine paper) was replaced the day we left Birdsville , after 3 weeks in the desert thought she might like some fresh air for the drive home.
So we pulled up to check under the hood. No boiling water no fluid leaks! Decide to limp it on with the hot air vents on full and ease it over any hills as that was when most affected. Got home ok but this is where it got weird. Let the truck rest for 30 min. Check under hood again. Now coolant is leaking slowly from somewhere. Can't see in behind plastic cover for leak. Added 2 tablets of stop leak and worked a treat no more leaking. Took about 30 min engine running to work. No leaking but still getting hot on hills. Temp comes down almost immediately when you back off and put heater on again.
So do you think that adding about 3 litres of water would effect the abilities of the coolant?
Maybe the new air filter is a dud!
Its overdue for a service now as we did 8000k' on the trip. Going in this week when time permits.
To me I think possible block in radiator or coolant went off. But does not explain the leaking.
I don't want to hear all excuses from the mechanic then get the bill for this, that and the other!
Anything I should try?

Any thoughts?

Tc

YNOT
19th June 2011, 09:56 PM
I would be taking out the radiator and getting it professionally cleaned/rodded out. Rodding the radiator involves removing the tanks and passing a rod through each coolant tube to clean it out. When the radiator goes back in I would also replace the thermostat and radiator cap. While your dilute coolant may have contributed slightly to the overheating I don't think it was the cause of it.
It's difficult to comment on the leak because I don't know where it was leaking.

Tony

Bigrig
19th June 2011, 09:59 PM
Hey mate

Sounds like some sort of blockage, at least initially to cause enough pressure to cause the leak .... I'd definitely be getting it checked and pressure tested etc again ... the water would have diluted the coolant, but not to the degree that you'd expect it to overheat ... as much as we all want to do the right thing by our rigs, we need to remember there is literally plenty of them out there being run with water only (no coolant) as people top it up/service it themselves ... So not sure that would have a great deal to do with the overheating issue.

Good luck with it mate, and I'm sure you'll get some more advice etc from others.

Bigrig
19th June 2011, 10:00 PM
I would be taking out the radiator and getting it professionally cleaned/rodded out. Rodding the radiator involves removing the tanks and passing a rod through each coolant tube to clean it out. When the radiator goes back in I would also replace the thermostat and radiator cap. While your dilute coolant may have contributed slightly to the overheating I don't think it was the cause of it.
It's difficult to comment on the leak because I don't know where it was leaking.

Tony

Or you could just do that!! LMAO ... I was obviously responding at the same time, but trust me ... Tony is the one to listen to!!

TCgolfer
19th June 2011, 10:09 PM

Tony

Thanks Tony

Seems you are the Guru from all reports.
Is it much cheaper to get rodded out than purchase new radiator.
I have had a few looks around at other threads of similar topic and there seems to be some concern on the cheap replacement chinese tanks.
Do you think best to stick with original?
First off I will get it pressure tested again, was done before trip but did some mean dunes in the Simpson and some of the corrugations we encountered may have done some damage I'm thinking.

TC

YNOT
19th June 2011, 10:21 PM
The safest but probably most expensive option is a new Genuine Nissan radiator, send "Nizzbits" a PM for a good price.

The mid range option is a Chinese radiator with their unknown durabillity.

The cheapest option (I would expect it to be anyway) is to get your radiator cleaned out. Keep in mind that if they refit your original tanks those tanks will be 10 years old.

The fourth option is a heavy duty upgraded radiator, give PWR radiators a call. Quality Australian made full alloy radiators - no plastic tanks. This may work out to be the best option but not necessarily the most expensive.

I don't know the exact costs, that's something you will need to research and make a decision based on what you can afford.

Pressure testing may help find the leak but it won't pin point blockages.

Tony

Yendor
19th June 2011, 11:29 PM
It sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

But yes get a coolant system pressure test done.

Does it blow excessive smoke/mist on first start in the mornings?

Yendor
20th June 2011, 12:27 AM
Hi all,
My 2001 3L manual Patrol has recently started getting hot. On our way home from a fantastic 25 day trip through central Australia the air con cut out then the temps started climbing.
I had topped the radiator up on several occasions but with a heavy load, low tyre pressure 4wding just thought of it as normal. About 1lt (water only)on 3 mornings doing my daily checks.
The tank was pressure tested before we left and coolant was also fine. Ambient air temp was about 20 deg when this happened. It was a solid 2 days of driving home from Birdsville with the air con off mostly.
Roof rack with 60lt of jerries (empty) Other light gear total weight maybe 70kg (inc rack itself). Spot lights on front since new so no changes to the front end. Air filter (non genuine paper) was replaced the day we left Birdsville , after 3 weeks in the desert thought she might like some fresh air for the drive home.
So we pulled up to check under the hood. No boiling water no fluid leaks! Decide to limp it on with the hot air vents on full and ease it over any hills as that was when most affected. Got home ok but this is where it got weird. Let the truck rest for 30 min. Check under hood again. Now coolant is leaking slowly from somewhere. Can't see in behind plastic cover for leak. Added 2 tablets of stop leak and worked a treat no more leaking. Took about 30 min engine running to work. No leaking but still getting hot on hills. Temp comes down almost immediately when you back off and put heater on again.
So do you think that adding about 3 litres of water would effect the abilities of the coolant?
Maybe the new air filter is a dud!
Its overdue for a service now as we did 8000k' on the trip. Going in this week when time permits.
To me I think possible block in radiator or coolant went off. But does not explain the leaking.
I don't want to hear all excuses from the mechanic then get the bill for this, that and the other!
Anything I should try?

Any thoughts?

Tc

What do you mean by this?, have you been driving through long grass or locusts?

If so I would have a look in front of the air conditioning condenser and between the air conditioning condenser and radiator for blockages.

TCgolfer
20th June 2011, 10:22 PM
Mate,
Does blow black sooty smoke on start. Never white or wet.
That probably started when she got chipped, 3'' taipan exhaust and dyno.
Installer claimed normal.

Tc

TCgolfer
20th June 2011, 10:45 PM
Yep both locusts and long grass in desert most recently. Had mesh cover for grill when in the locusts. Did get hot driving home next day. Took off mesh but still seemed above the normal temp. That's when I got pressure an coolant checked before our desert trip. Got the all clear from the shop. Was a little concerned with where we were going but showed no fault at all until almost home. At least 3000k' after we had been in the Simpson and long grasses out there. Would have thought if blocked that way would have shown it's head pretty soon after.
Maybe too hard to see seed if it's very small in size anyway. Could be it though. But it did get hot before our trip also.
I'm leaning towards internal block.
Thanks for the input

Tc

Yendor
21st June 2011, 07:49 AM
I hope it is just an internal blockage as well.

Good luck with it.

Cheers Rodney