PDA

View Full Version : Jumper Leads???

10G
7th December 2019, 12:14 PM
Went to eBay to get some jumper leads, didn't think much about it.

200A, 700A, 1200A, 3000A.

What capacity leads do I need for the ZD30???

Thanks guys.

matfew
7th December 2019, 12:32 PM
They are always shit quality wire so buy the biggest you can afford never hurts to have bigger in this case.

But to give you an idea I've jumped a car with tiny wire before. It just gets hot. Too small or if battery is too dead and it corks smoke the wire on smaller ones

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

04OFF
7th December 2019, 12:34 PM
From my humble opinion and my own experience, the larger the cable core, the better, especially if you want to start a Diesel :biggrin:

Yeti's Beast
7th December 2019, 01:06 PM
I have these

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/projecta-nb750-60sp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10G
7th December 2019, 02:29 PM
I have these

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/projecta-nb750-60sp

Holy crap YB, you must do a lot of jump starting?????

Yeti's Beast
7th December 2019, 04:16 PM
Holy crap YB, you must do a lot of jump starting?????

No
I acquired them through work [emoji1787]

Ben-e-boy
7th December 2019, 04:17 PM
Lol...those rating are a joke.

Just buy the largest cross sectional area you can afford. Or go and buy your own cable from a electrical supplier, nice big clamps from an industral/ welding supplier and make your own

Edit..... for shits and giggles.

For a (true-ish)3000A, 6m long jumper lead set, you would need parallel 630mm2 leads (2 per lead). 630mm2 is 6.3Kg/M, x 24m = 151.2Kg of cable.

PeeBee
7th December 2019, 04:49 PM
70mm2 welding leads with good clips will start anything in any weather. I have 8m leads and they sit nicely in a canvas bag in the back. Check out a welding supplier or surf around for a good price. Don't lend them to anyone because they wont come back - know this from experience!

Yeti's Beast
7th December 2019, 04:52 PM
70mm2 welding leads with good clips will start anything in any weather. I have 8m leads and they sit nicely in a canvas bag in the back. Check out a welding supplier or surf around for a good price. Don't lend them to anyone because they wont come back - know this from experience!

Learnt the same lesson

Yeti's Beast
7th December 2019, 04:59 PM
Ok looks like I led you up the garden path
They looked similar. Oops
My leads are Matson brand 50mm sq
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/12/64.jpg
Still heavy enough to start most things

mudnut
8th December 2019, 12:08 AM
Just be aware that some unscrupulous manufacturers will claim the leads are rated a lot higher than they actually are. Had one set given to me, that had a thin copper core surrounded by a very thick plastic insulation. They could barely start a mower, let alone a car. You need to check the amount of copper crimped at the clips.

10G
9th December 2019, 08:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the help, it's all greatly appreciated.

Cuppa
9th December 2019, 09:09 AM
I have crank battery connected to the aux batteries in the canopy via 70mm2 positive cable & a switch, & negative chassis. If I get a flat battery, just turn the switch & hit the ignition key.