PDA

View Full Version : What to expect after 100'000km?

soundfx
19th June 2011, 06:56 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2003 GU Patrol with 104'000 on the clock and am curious what do expect with major services in the near future? It's a 3.0L engine and I was told they have a timing belt that should be replaced after 100K. Is this true? What else along these lines should I be prepared for and what sort of $$$ will I be looking at?

Cheers!

Bigrig
19th June 2011, 09:15 PM
One of the 3L fraternity (and others more technically minded) will be along to throw in some ideas/answers mate ...

YNOT
19th June 2011, 09:38 PM
ZD30 has a timing chain not a belt so don't worry about that!
If your car has a good service history then just keep the routine servicing up. If it does not then I would budget around $1,000 for a major service (engine, gearbox, transfer, and both diff oil changes, repack wheel bearings and swivel hub bearings etc).
I don't know about exact costs as I do my own servicing.

Tony

Yendor
19th June 2011, 11:08 PM
Hello soundfx and welcome to the forum.

As stated above the 3.0L (ZD30) don't have timing belts.

The major services are at every 40,000 kms, so providing yours is up to date the next one is at 120,000Km.

The rest are basically just oil and filter change and check over.

If you go to Nissan for the major service don't expect any change from $1000, better of finding a local mechanic you know and trust.

The other things that will need to be done (if they haven't already)

Alternator pulley, they run a clutch type pulley and normally wear out around these Ks.

If the original intercooler hasn't been replaced yet I can guarantee it will be leaking and need replacing.

Also you should have a read of this

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?479-3.0lt-GU-Patrols-Grenade-Facts&highlight=grenade

Now all of this may seem very negative....but I have found the ZD30 engine to be great as far as power and economy go.

Hope this helps.

timbar
20th June 2011, 03:21 AM
1000's of pure almost perfect fun

i own a GQ with almost 600 000 kms on the clock 4.2lt petrol and engine gbox transfer wise noo problem and to add fuel to the fire 99.9% of them kms were with a trailer loaded most of the time still on the original motor with full compression showing no signs of wear just as an example of the power of a patrol !! and i dont baby this machine at all !!

soundfx
20th June 2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. It looks like it might be a good buy if all else is ok. What sort of cost would I be looking at for the alternator pulley and intercooler replacements mentioned by Yendor?

Yendor
21st June 2011, 07:13 PM
With the alternator you can get new ebay cheapies from $400 or your local auto electrician should be able to replace the pulley and bearings in yours for $200-$300.

You can get replacement intercoolers from $700, or you can get upgraded intercoolers for around $1300.

Have a look at this thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4551-3.0L-Replacement-Intercoolers

Cheers Rodney

GUIV
22nd June 2011, 12:05 PM
The Nissan Intercooler is over 1K. But there are many option like PWR core replacement or cross country full replacement. Check them out. Don't replacement another new Nissan Intercooler, they are waste of time and money.

soundfx
23rd June 2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks heaps everyone... all the info. is great. I look at a Patrol in question the other night and the alternator clutch and another pulley (can't remember which one) were replaced a short while ago. The intercooler looked good but I'm not really sure where the corrosion suggested by Yendor shows itself (someone care to enlighten me??)

Due to circumstances I have to let this one go and it'll probably be a good while before circumstances improve. Ah well, more time to research I guess!

YNOT
23rd June 2011, 09:40 PM
There are 2 main places where the I/C's leak from, the first is from where the shroud rubs on the core (if you look closely at the photo you can see black rub marks on my I/C) and rubs through the tubes. Mine wasn't leaking so I just put washers on the shroud mounts to space it up off the core.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000836Medium.jpg

The second place is where the end tanks are crimped onto the core. This is often caused by overboosting - factory boost control on these motors can be a bit hit and miss with boost spikes over 25Psi not unheard of.

Both leaks usually show as an oil stain on the I/C. The oil is PCV oil mist going through the inlet.

Tony

Yendor
24th June 2011, 08:04 AM
soundfx, I wouldn't be put off by any of the above, just somethings to aware of.

I know the major service on the old Land Cruiser was an 8 hour service

With services (depending on what the warranty states you might get with the vehicle) you can break them down and spread the cost more evenly over each service instead of having a big one every 40,000Km or 2 years.

Sorry to hear the one you had your eye on fell through.